Main Menu

Barnfind 1970 Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, March 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 04, 2020, 10:25:18 AM
You know how it works. Everytime you uncover something it gets closer to being shuffled off into the corner undriveable and waiting for the complete gutting process.

Yep, very true.
I might not rip off the rest of the vinyl, its gone in the middle, maybe I'll just paint that area with wrinkle paint...
This one I'm gonna try to drive this summer, if possible. As is.
Very hard for me to put that fender on without fixing everything I see under it...
But also, it's kinda fun to cheat a bit now, and just try to get it running. Just wait until I get to the quarters! I already bought a lot of bondo!  :haha:
Brakes don't work and the exhaust system needs to be replaced.   

JS29

RUNCHARGER

It's sure looking good compared to the before. I'd drive it looking like that as well, as long as it drives safe.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Is this a 7 1/4" axle or a 8 1/4"?
I have a 8 3/4" for it, and I'm also wondering if this axle is worth saving, just because the fact that its the original axle for the car.
Who knows, one day people might start restoring G-codes back to stock...

anlauto

Looks like a 7 1/4, as for value...what does it weigh ? ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on April 09, 2020, 03:14:56 PM
Looks like a 7 1/4, as for value...what does it weigh ? ;)

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks Alan!

anlauto

I just threw one out a couple of months back.

Save the brakes/backing plates etc... they are all the same. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

soundcontrol

More fixes, its an OE resto if I use the damaged left fender to repair the quarter, right?  :D
Applied some bondo, and I have never worked with bondo before on a car, need to take a quick YouTube education on that now.
Not sure how to sand this down now.
I take this as practice to see if that kind of bodywork is for me or not.

larry4406

Thanks for posting this!

I had heard years ago (before any reproduction metal was available and Chrysler no longer had stock) that the front left fender could be used to graft in repairs to the right rear quarter and same for other side swap.

Your pictures clearly confirm this!

soundcontrol

Quote from: larry4406 on April 11, 2020, 03:02:18 AM
Thanks for posting this!

I had heard years ago (before any reproduction metal was available and Chrysler no longer had stock) that the front left fender could be used to graft in repairs to the right rear quarter and same for other side swap.

Your pictures clearly confirm this!

Wow, that's cool. Yeah,. the lip is thinner, but the shape seems to be about right. (I have 2 new quarters on the way that I bought from MoparDave, but I'll save those for the real  resto later).  Just having fun and making it drivable. Now, for the right quarter I don't have a spare fender to use, so we'll see how that turns out.  :dunno:

JS29

@soundcontrol  It's called body filler, Bondo is a brand name. Unless your using Bondo brand Body filler of course,  :haha: Amateurs call it that!  :headbang: Get a 8 inch DA and a air long board. A hand long board, and a hand block. With practice and you will get the hang of it.  :wrenching:

anlauto

If I didn't see it with my own two eyes, I would have never believed it in a million years... :rubeyes: :worship:

soundcontrol

Quote from: JS29 on April 11, 2020, 06:47:57 AM
@soundcontrol  It's called body filler, Bondo is a brand name. Unless your using Bondo brand Body filler of course,  :haha: Amateurs call it that!  :headbang: Get a 8 inch DA and a air long board. A hand long board, and a hand block. With practice and you will get the hang of it.  :wrenching:

I'm learning alreay! Body filler it is. I'm not even up to amateur in this area!  :)
Watching Eastwood videos on YT, will give it a try, gotta get those boards and blocks first, and more filler!

JS29

@soundcontrol   :bigthumb: It takes practice and patience. guide coat can be your friend.  :yes:

JS29

Dose your overhead consolett function properly? Mine was just there for the ride when i got my car. It was a brain teaser, but it's all better now.  :D