Main Menu

Kevin's JS23U0B Project

Started by 7E-Bodies, December 08, 2020, 12:58:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Well it's rainy and cold here in the nation's armpit, so I've been going through parts to see what may need sent out for reconditioning or replaced. Dropped several semi gloss black items off to our phenomenal powder coat guy. I'll post when he's done. Tonight I dove into my drive shaft to verify condition and originality. A good coat of road tar or undercoating seemed to prevent major pitting in her 64,000 mile life in Ohio, thankfully. After a couple hours of wire wheeling next to a screaming shop vac, it's clean. Lo and behold, I think I've verified it's the original. Build sheet specifies a 656, and that correlates to the stamping. I also found a "J9" which I'd think is 10th month of 69. Nothing earth shattering, but cool to me. I'll probably DA this thing down with 150 or 220 grit and take it in for balancing. Is anyone out there coating their bare "natural" finish undercarriage parts with anything to prevent or delay rust?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

Finally took a peaceful Sunday and began the body side moldings restoration and color change (from the awesome black set I got from another member) to V5F code green as per fender tag and build sheet. This has required purchasing a 70 Fury NOS V5F molding to match color with, and some magic from my local PPG supply shop. After utilizing more chemicals than the local meth lab and using a totally unusable piece for testing, it's all under way. I used a high end heat gun to remove factory vinyl without damage. The flex agent, the paint, the SEM prep chemicals have all made a superb bond on my test piece that I've tested in high heat, exaggerated bending and even striking it with a body hammer (chisel end) and no chipping or cracking. Metal is now stripped of factory glue (no easy task), the vinyl inserts clean and laid out, and ready to be SEM prepped and color applied. After viewing the trim restoration video footage from @Cuda Cody and adding some steroids of my own (due to the insane rarity of V5F coded moldings), my V5F circus is about to end nicely.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7E-Bodies

The first finished piece of the nearly impossible to find V5F side moldings. Second is under adhesive cure as I type. Very pleased with the outcome, but wow has this been tedious.

xx88man

Great work Kevin! Stunning results  :1place:
Keep yer foot in it

76orangewagon

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on April 10, 2021, 04:57:48 PM
Is anyone out there coating their bare "natural" finish undercarriage parts with anything to prevent or delay rust?

I use Boeshield on my driveshaft and it seems to hold up very well.

7E-Bodies

anlauto

A lot of people swear by that RPM stuff made by ECS  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ply64post

Quote from: 76orangewagon on June 26, 2021, 02:36:09 PM
Is anyone out there coating their bare "natural" finish undercarriage parts with anything to prevent or delay rust?

Orangewagon

Did you send your driveshaft out for the finish or did you do it yourself? Very nice, if you did it yourself would you share how you did it. I understand the protectants, it is the finish of the driveshaft that I am interested in.

Thank You
                                                              Jeff

76orangewagon

Quote from: ply64post on June 27, 2021, 06:02:24 AM

Orangewagon

Did you send your driveshaft out for the finish or did you do it yourself? Very nice, if you did it yourself would you share how you did it. I understand the protectants, it is the finish of the driveshaft that I am interested in.

Thank You
                                                              Jeff

Jeff,
I sent my driveshaft to Rob Brombecker to be restored, from what I understand he just uses the original ends and adds a new tube. Pictures do not do the driveshaft justice...it's really really nice.

7E-Bodies

Ross,
I called Rob about restoration of my drive shaft. Nice guy and very detailed work, but I opted to utilize the $1500 quoted price in other areas since a drive shaft is a quick and easy pull if I choose at a later time. As per my pictures on this thread, it's in great shape with the pn still showing fairly well. I'm going to have the local driveline shop spin it after I press in new u joints and balance if needed.

76orangewagon

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on June 27, 2021, 10:21:33 AM
Ross,
I called Rob about restoration of my drive shaft. Nice guy and very detailed work, but I opted to utilize the $1500 quoted price in other areas since a drive shaft is a quick and easy pull if I choose at a later time. As per my pictures on this thread, it's in great shape with the pn still showing fairly well. I'm going to have the local driveline shop spin it after I press in new u joints and balance if needed.

Yea....I guess I should have mentioned it wasn't the cheapest service out there and that's the entry level without the NOS U joints at $495 each..mine was pitted pretty bad and I wasn't going to use it on my build but yours is in great condition. I've heard of guys using gun bluing solution to simulate the weld line, just tape about a 1/2" wide line the length of the shaft and apply the bluing. I've also heard of people using it on the leaf springs to give them the darker annealed look...obviously I didn't go that route with mine because I heard about the process after mine were done.

ply64post

Quote from: 76orangewagon on June 27, 2021, 09:24:34 AM
Quote from: ply64post on June 27, 2021, 06:02:24 AM

Orangewagon

Thank You
                                                              Jeff

Jeff,
I sent my driveshaft to Rob Brombecker to be restored, from what I understand he just uses the original ends and adds a new tube. Pictures do not do the driveshaft justice...it's really really nice.

Orangewagon

Thank You

Jeff

7E-Bodies

Well, after finally getting the engine back from the machine shop, I've finished shooting the color. I had told them strictly not to rattle can it. Now for putting together the peripherals.

ebodyproducts

That looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014