Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Well it could have been a hairline crack in a 40 year old trans case but the way that split I am betting more like the overunning clutch in the rear locked up on you

7212Mopar

I pulled the trans and did a complete disassembly over the weekend. I did not find anything broken inside the transmission. All gears, clutches, snap rings are all there where they belong. The rear sprag is working and turns clockwise only. Bearings looks good. I have not open the valve body yet. The only thing broken was the trans case. I am not sure what level the rebuilt was made. The front band is new (does not look like a high performance band). The rear band is not new. I have not open the drums to see the friction plates yet. The front pump looks good and the rotor is moving smoothly. The front servo is not smooth going up and down some time and both servos are stock pieces. The only aluminum shaving was found at the bell of the casing where the pump seat and where the crack is. When the front U joint cup went, it made a small dent at the trans tunnel. So at this point, I did not find the obvious smoking gun that caused the damage. Can a broken U joint cause this level of damage?

i will be fixing the bell casing this coming weekend with some sheet metal straps good enough for me to mount the starter and test firing the engine. Finger cross that the engine is ok, starts and runs smoothly. 
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

SMH hope you find out cause.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71-440

I am thinking when the housing cracked that may have trashed the u-joint. Just guessing here. :notsure:
If so that doesn't answer the question on why the housing split.
Keep us posted.
Joe

Chryco Psycho

My bet is the engine will be fine , it can uncouple through the converter , still a mystery why the belhousing split open  :thinking:

nsmall

@7212Mopar any news on your project?  I'm down south of you hoping for the best for you. :bradsthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I was hoping that great looking car was on the road again.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Thanks for checking guys. I had been real busy at work lately and wife have plans for me this weekend. My 20th years in marriage is coming up in two weeks too. I am hoping to get some time next Saturday morning. I got the bell casing cleaned up and put on a couple of straps over the cracks. It should hold. Just need to mount it and attached the starter. Hoping for the best and I will post later.

nsmall

20 years is an awesome accomplishment.  Yeah!  Thanks for update and I can't tell you enough how much I'm cheering for you.  Lots of money and time in this one and I want you to enjoy your car ASAP.  Happy anniversary.

7212Mopar

Got a chance to work on the car this afternoon after my wife took the kid to class. I was rushing a bit and not paying attention which eventually cost me some pain. I had one bolt on the torque converter/flexplate and the nose of the converter back off the crank. It rotated and fell on my face. So the left side of my face got a few cuts and a swollen left eye from the ring gear. Eyesight is still good. No picture, not posting any. Anyway, this is still worth it.

After I put the starter back on, I cranked the engine and it backfired like a bomb exploded when I let go the key. Advanced the distributor a little and the engine roared back to life. It was running smoothly and super loud with the open headers. No funny machine noises and I suppose the engine is good shape and survived the ordeal. :banana: I only ran it for about 30 seconds or so. It was too loud and the engine is partially supported off floor jack under the oil pan. I will try it again tomorrow.

I think next thing will be placing an order for a sb 727 from Cope Racing Transmission. I will pick the stock automatic shift pattern since it will be mostly street driven. Also will pick up a converter with about 2800 stall speed. After that, a new drive shaft will need to be ordered. Most likely will need to jack the car up some more and call a few buddies to help get the trans back on. I need to plan this. Hope to get it on road in a month or two.

nsmall

I am so happy to hear the news.   :yes:

You are nearing the finish and since your engine sounds fine, I hope these loose ends go smoothly.

71-440

That's good news you got the engine running. :cool:
Still no clue why the tranny split apart ?

Joe

YellowThumper

Great news on the engine.
Sorry to hear about face. Got lucky myself today as well. Working by myself at home welding some aluminum parts and ended up scratching my eye with the rod in my hand...duh.

Have you also checked out the rear pumpkin? I imagine a busted gear could cause a sudden lockup.
Just thinking out loud.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

Rear end turns smoothly, no leaks, no funny noises. Axles endplay is still what I set at.

Since nothing seems to be wrong inside the trans, I am thinking CP might be right about the old trans case. May be the guy drop the case when working on it or did something when setting the pump. At this point I am just glad that the engine is ok.

7212Mopar

I spoke with John Cope at CRT yesterday and placed an order for a SB 727 Pro-street automatic shift good for 500 HP. Also will be getting a new 11" torque converter with 2600-2800 stall speed. My TCI Streetfighter is rated at 3000-3500 RPM. I think the lower stall speed will be a better match for my 3.23 rear gear and 275/40/17 tires. Car will be for street and highway. It will take about two weeks to deliver. So I will be prepping the car and jacking car higher and get ready for the installation. I picked up a transmission jack from HF already. I managed to lift the 904 onto a dolly by hand but I think the 727 will be heavier. I better reassemble my engine hoist as I don't think I will be able to lift it by myself. After that, I will order a new driveshaft with 7290 U joints and run a conversion U joint at the rear as my stock yoke use 7260 U joint.