Main Menu

Saving a 71 340 vert

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 05, 2017, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

The pad starts off with the majority of the pad going forward, three screws through the pad into the header then fold the pad back over itself toward the rear of the car....  That way theres padding over the screws so they don't poke through the top....

superdave

:unbelievable: Oh man!! I' glad i ran across that. I sas wondering what everyone does with the wood grwin steering wheels. That seems to be one of the few things I've run across that don't seem to be available. :woohoo:

MikeMikeMike

Can someone post a picture of the convertible wind deflectors installed. I took mine off 6 years ago and now I can't find any reference on how they go back on! Can't believe it's been so long since the initial disassembly.

Anyway, progress is still steady. Got the Gibson organisol sprayed so I was able to put the whole tail panel back together. Trunk is all buttoned up with the gas filler neck now installed. The convertible top was probably the hardest thing I have ever done on a car to date. Didn't help that the frame had gotten all out of whack when it was getting sand blasted  :pullinghair: so there were days spent just adjusting that. I finally got the whole thing installed and it wouldn't close easily and I could see the top of the rear window under the main cover.  :headbang: I was losing sleep over this so I ended up taking the whole thing off and starting over. All I could see were the imperfections and it drove me nuts. Much happier now though that everything is lining up and fitting better. Still not to my perfection standards but I'm hoping some days out in the summer sun will smooth some little wrinkles.

Went to the dmv and got my '71 dated rscr plate registered. Maybe jumping the gun a bit but summer due date will be here before I know it.

The diff is done and just waiting on the axles. Fan clutch rebuilt. Just got engine mounts and date coded radiator. Also got an accurate exhaust set just waiting for the motor due in a couple months. It's getting to the point where I can see this actually running by this summer. Just waiting for the inevitable set backs once I get the engine back and try putting all the drive train together. We will see (soon).
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

Mymcodebee

Can you post pics of your process for making the flanged areas on the Cuda quarters.  I am working what you used for tools.
Thank you.  I will be making a couple convertible quarters soon.

larry4406

Quote from: Mymcodebee on February 26, 2018, 10:22:59 AM
Can you post pics of your process for making the flanged areas on the Cuda quarters.  I am working what you used for tools.

+1.

Seems like this detail is a black art and no one wants to post step by step details on how to do this.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: larry4406 on February 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM

+1.

Seems like this detail is a black art and no one wants to post step by step details on how to do this.

Making the flange isn't as tough as cutting at just the right spot....    Flanging can be done with a tool like in the linked video.... Because the flange for a vert needs a bigger step it would require a different step ground into the die but the concept remains the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=v5QZD82ftHA

Here's another style tool...  Same deal most of these are designed to flange sheetmetal for panel repair....  But by modifying the dies a bigger step isn't hard to achieve...

larry4406

:whiteflag:
Quote from: MikeMikeMike on February 19, 2018, 03:02:45 PM
Can someone post a picture of the convertible wind deflectors installed. I took mine off 6 years ago and now I can't find any reference on how they go back on! Can't believe it's been so long since the initial disassembly.

Are these what you are looking for?  Not mine, snagged off the net years ago.

Mymcodebee

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 26, 2018, 05:58:01 PM
Quote from: larry4406 on February 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM

+1.

Making the flange isn't as tough as cutting at just the right spot....    Flanging can be done with a tool like in the linked video.... Because the flange for a vert needs a bigger step it would require a different step ground into the die but the concept remains the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=v5QZD82ftHA

Here's another style tool...  Same deal most of these are designed to flange sheetmetal for panel repair....  But by modifying the dies a bigger step isn't hard to achieve...

Ok thank you.   I was actually going to buy this bead roller from Eastwoods but then it makes it a two person job.   

MikeMikeMike

Quote from: larry4406 on February 27, 2018, 03:05:09 AM
:whiteflag:
Quote from: MikeMikeMike on February 19, 2018, 03:02:45 PM

Are these what you are looking for?  Not mine, snagged off the net years ago.

Thanks Larry! That's exactly what I was looking for! Perfect  :bradsthumb:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Sorry man, I have had a couple people ask and at the time it was done, I didn't take any good pictures of that edge and I had already put all the stainless on covering it. Sorry! But yes, essentially others are correct that it was cut exactly where the original quarter ended and then a bead pressed into it, again, like the original. I wasn't there when my body guy did it so I couldn't say for sure what tool/ process was used. If I had known what a big deal it would be I would have done a better job documenting it. If you are in NH, Dennis Swanson of Precious Metals in Allenstown did the work and he could tell you.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Latest Update:

Convertible top is much better after buying a steamer at harbor freight. I found that putting a towel over the top and seaming between the towel and vinyl worked best and held in the steam a bit better. After its out in the sun we'll see how the rest smooths out. I'll probably steam it a bit more too. Before and after pics...

The windshield is in. I asked the pro installer to use the buterol sp? adhesive dam and he assured me that his stuff would be fine. Well, probably no one will notice but me, but the line is pretty messy along the bottom. You can only see it if you look at a sharp angle, still, it annoys me. Trim spacing was ok though as he said it would be.

Just waiting on the rear and engine....
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

The rear diff was puking oil after the first guy rebuilt it. It was the wrong case for my car anyway. So I had a new correct one built with LS. After a long wait, the rear end is all back in the car and looking good. Nice to see all 4 wheels back on. Also mocked up the trans while waiting for the motor due this month. The forward shift rod is an overdrive so that's why its upside down.

Question: The car came from the factory with billboards and I intend to put them back on after the car settles with the motor in. I've seen some bad things online regarding Pheonix Graphics which graveyard cars goes on and on about. Who makes the best billboard decals?

Thanks!
'71 Cuda Convertible 340