Main Menu

Saving a 71 340 vert

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 05, 2017, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mymcodebee

Question: The car came from the factory with billboards and I intend to put them back on after the car settles with the motor in. I've seen some bad things online regarding Pheonix Graphics which graveyard cars goes on and on about. Who makes the best billboard decals?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Performance car graphics hands down!!!
Anyone can make a decal;  its the prep work with uniform white space, labeling, backing paper and attention to details that makes the difference. 

Morty426

Super cool car and I like the build and your can do attitude.   :ohyeah:

ZEN357

MikeMikeMike

Thanks all. I will make an order from Performance Graphics today!
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

MikeMikeMike

Unfortunately my goal of getting the car done by the middle of summer didn't work out as I was still waiting on some large items. I recently got the engine back though and its ready for paint which will be done this week. Then I'll actually be removing the hood as that is now the easiest way to install the engine now, because I hooked up all the steering and brake lines and bled them and such while waiting for the engine. After its in, the transmission, billboards, prop shaft, carb, hoses and wires, air box, exhaust, etc. are all ready to be installed. Other than a dozen little parts I'll discover I'm missing, it should go pretty quick? 
:notsure:

My next goal is to get it on the road before the end of aug so I can get it's state inspection on time.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

RUNCHARGER

Good luck with it. I have no problem going in from the top anyway, the biggest issue is risking damaging the hood and tops of the fenders when you pull and remount it. Just use a helper and lots of blankets.
Sheldon

anlauto

Your 1-2 lever is upside down :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

Hmm. Its been a while since I tinkered with the transmission so I'll have to take a look. One of the levers is intentionally inverted due to the addition of an overdrive. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Now just waiting for the paint to cure. I find the waiting to be the hardest part. Hood is off and ready to accept the engine...

'71 Cuda Convertible 340

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Morty426

I ran into the inverted rod problem when I found out that my Challenger had a built overdrive unit in it

MikeMikeMike

Need help finding the right fan belt...

Trying to stay out of the rain today as I build up the 340. I have a hang up though... I bought the quanta authentic resto fan/ alternator belt from year one, but its just that, I need a alt/ fan/ crank pulley belt but I can't find any listings for one?
I double checked the books I have as well as a bunch of online photos to make sure I'm not being an idiot, as much as possible. I went to a couple local stores to see if they had anything, but all they had were toothed and labeled belts which didn't look original. One guy said the size that I needed looked to be a "1030"? not sure how that equates to an actual belt but I measured what I should have and it comes to 45 1/2". Anyway, any tips on where to find said alternator, fan and crank pulley belt would be great.

Engine: 340 year 71
Alt, single pulley
Fan single pulley
crank double pulley
power steering pump standard single pulley.

Thanks
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

YellowThumper

Wow just read thru whole thread. Awsome progress.
Thanks for bringing it back to greatness.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Morty426

Quote from: MikeMikeMike on August 17, 2018, 01:13:10 PM
Need help finding the right fan belt...

Trying to stay out of the rain today as I build up the 340. I have a hang up though... I bought the quanta authentic resto fan/ alternator belt from year one, but its just that, I need a alt/ fan/ crank pulley belt but I can't find any listings for one?
I double checked the books I have as well as a bunch of online photos to make sure I'm not being an idiot, as much as possible. I went to a couple local stores to see if they had anything, but all they had were toothed and labeled belts which didn't look original. One guy said the size that I needed looked to be a "1030"? not sure how that equates to an actual belt but I measured what I should have and it comes to 45 1/2". Anyway, any tips on where to find said alternator, fan and crank pulley belt would be great.

Engine: 340 year 71
Alt, single pulley
Fan single pulley
crank double pulley
power steering pump standard single pulley.

Thanks
Mike

Mike

Not sure about that part number but it should be:

Dayco 15475DR for Fan, Crank and WP

15 is the width and 475 is the length

The part number is sometimes listed the other way 47515

If you wanted a 45.5 belt you would get a 45515 or a 15455

Hope that helps

MikeMikeMike

Thanks for the encouragement. Thanks also Marty on the belt info. So weird that that belt is hard to pinpoint yet seems pretty standard in use. I will search those numbers and purchase a belt today because I'm getting anxious.

Speaking of, I decided that I didn't want to wait any longer to put the drive train in. I tend to jump around and do what ever I'm in the mood to tackle rather than finishing all the engine dress first. May make some items harder later but meh.

The only part that was difficult was there is a set screw/ adjuster on the shifter that was hitting the tunnel and causing the rear not to line up. Once I took that out she went right in. May have to "adjust" the tunnel hole for the shifter later to accept the screw but overall it went really well. I think being a small block probably helped a ton.

Block is a date correct 340 bored 30 over standard stroke. Close to stock cam. Basically back to oem specs. Forged crank.
J heads, intake, and manifolds I believe original to car. Valves redone. Kinda killed me not to use a set of 70 manifolds I had but it wouldn't have been correct for the car.
Transmission is a date correct case 4 speed overdrive from brewers.
Exhaust is from accurate exhaust.

Picture to follow...

'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Exhaust lined up real nice. Really surprised how well everything fit. Expected several days of headaches but it all just bolted together flawlessly (just jinxed myself I know). Loving the stance now that the engine is in. Never seen it with an engine in it before. Just got used to it being up in the air for ride height.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340