Main Menu

Saving a 71 340 vert

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 05, 2017, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

Quote from: Roadman on December 07, 2017, 03:45:07 PM
Quote from: MikeMikeMike on December 05, 2017, 07:34:24 AM
The piece that rides above the drivers door glass... here is the pic showing the passenger side... Thanks.

:pullinghair:    :headbang:  Searching, begging the WORLDWIDE WEB.  I betcha @CudamanTom  has one, but he's MIA.   :notsure:

I appreciate your continued efforts on this! :thankyou:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

MikeMikeMike

Can someone post a picture showing the original location of the convertible top warning sticker? My top is going on tonight and that sticker has been sitting on the shelf for months taunting me.  :pokeeye:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

Quote from: MikeMikeMike on December 08, 2017, 09:51:40 AM
Can someone post a picture showing the original location of the convertible top warning sticker? My top is going on tonight and that sticker has been sitting on the shelf for months taunting me.  :pokeeye:
This is an original 1971 Cuda (except this car doesn't have frame connectors :pokeeye::)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2017, 09:55:51 AM
Quote from: MikeMikeMike on December 08, 2017, 09:51:40 AM
This is an original 1971 Cuda (except this car doesn't have frame connectors :pokeeye::)

You got me  :haha:
I was just looking at your louvre.. louver?  :thinking: cuda in the gallery. Awesome. Thanks for the picture!
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Vert frame is on and looking good. Next on the list, who makes the best OEM style convertible tops? And did they all have the tempered plexiglass zipper rear window? Mine came with such a rear window but the date code on the glass is december of 72, about two years later than I'd expect for my car. So I'm guessing the one that was with the car is a replacement. I've been looking at the convertibletopguys.com but I know nothing about them. After boosting my confidence with the seats, I decided I'd be installing this myself so I'd be getting a staple gun, the glue, all the required supplies.

Just ordered a radiator from Glen Ray yesterday. If you order while he is at a show you can get a discount.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

They all had glass back windows, I get all mine from Legendary Auto Interiors, why go anywhere else. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MikeMikeMike

Your word is gold Alan. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Im on my way to their site now to order with confidence.
Thanks!
:takemymoney:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

...and I did it with no dig against frame connectors.... :haha: :haha:...see I can play nice too :handshake:

MikeMikeMike

I even got 10% off the top, pad, glass and weather strip and 20%off the boot. I swore I was done for a while after the early fall purchases but the holiday discounts are hard to pass up if you gotta buy it anyway. Accurate exhaust discount, check, glen ray discount, check, legendary discount, check. Look at all the money I'm saving us dear...

Side note, I recently found out that in NH you can run a license plate on your car matching the year of the car. After confirming with the dmv I pulled the trigger on this just for fun...
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

btw, @Roadman I bit the bullet and got the whole weather strip set for the top from legendary. Seems like trying to find the one missing piece was near impossible. At any rate, thanks for trying but you can take that item off your list. The floor brackets you turned me on to are working out great though! :twothumbsup:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Roadman

Quote from: MikeMikeMike on December 11, 2017, 12:21:07 PM
btw, @Roadman I bit the bullet and got the whole weather strip set for the top from legendary. Seems like trying to find the one missing piece was near impossible. At any rate, thanks for trying but you can take that item off your list. The floor brackets you turned me on to are working out great though! :twothumbsup:

I was happy to help Mike.   :D

6bblgt

do they let you modify the plate also?  :driving:

MikeMikeMike

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 11, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
do they let you modify the plate also?  :driving:
I might ask forgiveness rather than permission on that one (and maybe just use grease pen that'll rub off). Actually the thought hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Convertible top came in. Surprised it didn't say legendary on the box. comes from another vendor but looks like a nice top. Still waiting on the weather strip set. They didn't carry tack strips though so that's next on the list. What are the proper size fiberboard tack strips and where can you find them? Mine were mostly disintegrated. I do have the felt strips for the center portions of the two forward most bows.

The inner dimension channel sizes are
Rear (above glass) bow 1/2" to 9/16" tall by 9/16" wide
Header and middle bow 3/8" tall by 5/8" wide at the base then comes in to 5/16" wide at the top.

The sizes listed here for a 71 vert all seem way too shallow
http://www.hydroe.com/Parts_Available.html?ID=124&Cyear=1971

I'm going to re-use the tack strip that goes along the trunk well.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

For anyone else trying to tackle this, I talked with a semi retired guy near me and he told me that for the really nice cars that he does he uses layered white birch laminate, layered and formed to the bows. So off to Home Depot I went and after cutting thin ply into several strips followed by some soaking and bonding I left them clamped to the bows for two weeks and they turned out pretty good (I think). We will see how they hold.

The next question I have is do the pads align exactly with the frame sides? Cause if I line mine up exactly, the front rides up out of the recess about a half inch which I'm sure will make a noticeable bump. Does that corner get trimmed? Or does the edge slide down over the frame sides more?
Thanks! Happy new year!
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340