Main Menu

Cuda door and side window replacement

Started by Spikedog08, January 20, 2017, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 20, 2017, 12:43:58 PM
Some more photos....

So the first picture with the rear track . . . Does that slide onto something or does the track just sit up against it?
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

Slides in to the part...

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 27, 2017, 02:54:51 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 20, 2017, 12:43:58 PM
Some more photos....

So the first picture with the rear track . . . Does that slide onto something or does the track just sit up against it?

Cuda Cody

The blue piece and the spring at the top come together to provide a safety stop...  (see the spring in the photo above at the end of the bracket)

Cuda Cody

Do these photos help?

Spikedog08

Ok well I think that is probably the issue . . Will work on it again tomorrow . .   :bricks:  I bet the other door will be way easier!   ;)

Spikedog08

OK so I went back out and pulled the rear track back out to inspect and see below as to what I found after looking at your pictures!   Where the slot is for the stop is fiberglass over . . and of course the spring wasn't there to begin with?  :Thud:

But good news, after pulling out that track, the window went up pretty easy . . .  :clapping:  So now what to do to make it work properly??

Cuda Cody

So now the window moves easier?  That's a good start.   :clapping:

It doesn't look like the guide is bent, but maybe it is and that might be the whole reason this has been a problem?   :notsure:  Do you you have an extra one you can swap it out with to test? 

Spikedog08

Is a hardtop one the same . . I have a pair of doors at my moms and the passenger one is complete with glass and all normal hardware . .  I will steal that one tomorrow I think . . Unless there is a better idea.  Surprised the other glass rolled up?  Sure seems to be quite of few pieces missing?  If I remember right, the extra drivers door I stole the sizzor gear out of it as the convertible one was shot. 

:dunno:

Cuda Cody

I've never done a convertible so not sure if they are different.  I would be very surprised if they were different.  The doors are the same so my guess if they are the same.  Let us know how it works with a different guide.  :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Yeah I assume they are same as well . . . Will try to get to my spare doors tomorrow . . My truck is getting a new windshield and the wife and I go bowling around 3  . . But this was something I thought would be easy and so far . .  :bricks:   Hope to get this sorted out quickly as I have 3 more windows to tackle . . .

HP_Cuda

Spike

Did you find the washers you need? I may be able to help you at least partially.

Let me know,
B

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 21, 2017, 09:00:18 AM
So if I can't find these washers . .  Does anyone sell them?   I'm gonna dig through my parts bin but I doubt I'll find one . . Wouldn't surprise me if I need one for the other side as well . . .  :dunno:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Spikedog08

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 27, 2017, 03:36:58 PM
OK so I went back out and pulled the rear track back out to inspect and see below as to what I found after looking at your pictures!   Where the slot is for the stop is fiberglass over . . and of course the spring wasn't there to begin with?  :Thud:

But good news, after pulling out that track, the window went up pretty easy . . .  :clapping:  So now what to do to make it work properly??

So I went and pulled both of the back brackets out of the spare doors and both appear to be complete with spring and stop . . . Certainly curious why someone would fiberglass over the slot where that would go. 

So my question is . . . What is the trick to installing this bracket / track?  Does the glass guide fit in this a certain way?  Can it be done once the glass in installed in the door? Gonna mess with it again this afternoon . . .

Cuda Cody

I have the bracket on the window before it goes in the door.  The long guide needs to be installed in the door, but leave it somewhat loose.  It really helps to have 2 people to get the glass in so you make sure you don't scratch it, but I've done them myself before.  I wish I was there to give you a hand. 

Spikedog08

I saw your picture with the glass on the table with the guide sitting on it and that is what made me bring this up.  I get the feeling I am pulling this back out of the door and try again . . .  :huh: