Main Menu

Cuda door and side window replacement

Started by Spikedog08, January 20, 2017, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

That plate actually does fore/aft adjustment. It won't level out the glass :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Anyone want to give me a quick quarter window 101 course . . . Seat out, panel removed.  Not sure if it makes a difference if it is a convertible or not . . . All help is always appreciated!   :worship:  Cant imagine it can be too difficult. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Timbbuc2

Just my luck I found this thread AFTER I rebuilt my drivers side window. I pretty much did like @anlauto , I bought a complete bushing set from Y1. that thing is as smooth as a, well you get the idea. Only problem I had to look for the bump stops since they were long gone. Still looking for the upper.
Get in, I'll drive

Spikedog08

Info for anyone else that is trying to tackle this task . . . Click the picture to enlarge!

Spikedog08

:drunk:   Click picture to enlarge!

Cuda Cody

This is such a great thread for Door Glass I wanted to add these documents.  Hope this helps.   :drinkingbud:

Click to enlarge or download the complete PDF file here:

http://www.e-bodies.org/resources/service-manuals-parts-catalogs-tsb/

Spikedog08

OK so there is a slide / guide in the track of the quarter window that clips together, my clips are broke off so having as issue keeping it together while installing.  Are these available where I can buy them??  Note to all, if the clip comes apart, good chance it will fall into the frame area, good idea to stuff a rag in there to keep things from going where there is no return . . . or at least difficult to return. 

RUNCHARGER

Those are available, Probably call Dave at Roseville. I get them from National Moparts in Canada.
Sheldon

Spikedog08

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 04, 2017, 10:16:09 AM
Those are available, Probably call Dave at Roseville. I get them from National Moparts in Canada.

Thanks for the heads up . . yes Dave at Roseville has them.  Considering a 45 min one way trip to the store to get them.   

HP_Cuda

I may have used spares of those if you want to pay for shipping.

Otherwise if you want to get ones from Dave I completely understand.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

usraptor

I hate to be the person who beats the proverbial dead horse  :deadhorse:, but while some days I really enjoy working on my 'Cuda, other days I get so frustrated that I wonder why I even began this project, like now, and wonder if I'll ever get it done.  I consider myself a pretty good back yard mechanic, having done (and still do) all my own maintenance and repairs on all my cars, trucks, M/Cs, ATVS, etc. for the past 53 years; but I'm obviously more visual when it comes to learning how to do certain things that I've never done before.   While I had no problem installing the back quarter windows and regulators the doors are making me crazy.  I have read and re-read the service manual until I think I can recite it verbatim,  I have read  and re-read this thread and all the suggestions, I've printed off the pictures that Cody so graciously posted, searched C.C.com, the internet, you tube, and google and think I finally have this figured out, but I'm still not certain I've figured out how to mount the door window glass to the regulators and attach same to the door.  While the service manual, Alan's directions, and pictures Cody posted are good and very useful, they don't show the detail I need regarding what nuts and bolts to use.  While I thought I did a good job of bagging and tagging when I dismantled the 'Cuda in 2009, I obviously didn't because I can't find certain nuts, bolts, washers, etc. that I know I have but can't find anywhere  :pullinghair: :verymad:, like the ones needed to attach the door glass to the lift channel.  I've attached pictures of the mounting points I'm talking about circled in red.  I've also attached possible candidates for the proper screws/bolts used to attach the glass to the lift channel at the two mounting points that I found in my misc. nuts and bolts jar.  If any of them look like the proper ones can you please advise me of the corresponding #?  If none do, I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could post a picture of the proper screws/bolts to use as I'm at a loss.  I even looked up the various vendors that sell the window hardware, and while they have pictures of the hardware, they don't tell you where it goes on the window/regulator and from what I've see don't sell the necessary bolts/screws anyway.

Lastly, the lift channel has a slot at one end and just a hole at the other.  Does it matter which direction the slop faces (front or rear of the car) and if so which is it?  Again, the service manual or pictures Cody posted don't show this detail. 

Sorry for being such a pain, but I need the experts help here.  :help:

Cuda Cody

Looking through some spare wondow parts I could not find the bolt you are talking about.  Maybe @anlauto  knows?   :fingerscrossed:

I did see that it appears they switched hardware types at some point.

Cuda Cody

I'm not finding any of my photos that show the bolt...   :thinking:

71GranCoupe

The diagram shows the slot towards the rear of the door.  :cheers:

anlauto

Yes the slot always goes towards the rear. The fasteners required to mount that horizontal bar are not shown in your pictures.
The front is a Phillips head machine screw 1/4 20, the rear is a 1/4 20 bolt with a 7/16 head and small washer.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration