Main Menu

Cut the quarters or not

Started by soundcontrol, April 04, 2017, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

Two weld lines going to be more filler to cover both  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

$2200 is Crazy, I'd never heard a price.... I'd modify my own too...

He takes a $600 Quarter, lops a section off & reworks a flange & feels thats worth $1600...  Get real... Another rip off in the Mopar hobby...

soundcontrol

Yep, 2200 per side is what he quoted me. Found it too expensive for me.

Another thought, I'm about to replace the trunk floor, its all cut out now (extensions also), should I fix/replace the quarters before that or after, or does it matter.

A.Gramz

I wish I left my quarters on when I did trunk floor and extensions then did the 1/4s after.   :alan2cents:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 23, 2017, 09:38:23 AM
Yep, 2200 per side is what he quoted me. Found it too expensive for me.

Another thought, I'm about to replace the trunk floor, its all cut out now (extensions also), should I fix/replace the quarters before that or after, or does it matter.

Ya, that is way too much. Sounds like you have the shipping hurdle at a moot point, so with that in mind, if me, I would spring for some AMD full quarters and go that route. Where the modifications are going to be, should be covered by the well liner/ convertible boot and the molding. I would rather deal with that versus butt weld and possibly warping the panel. Heck, with shipping basically covered, you could almost get 2 of each side and still be at the cost on just one. If you can get to where you are on the car, modifying the hardtop quarters to the vert should be easy peasy.  :cheers:

soundcontrol

Sanded off some more and did a test today, grinded off some of the spotwelds to see if I could do it without any damage to the original panel, and to see how it looked under the seam. It's looking good, Picture 1 is the skin separated from the original quarter. Picture 2 is from the inside, notice the spotwelds and the edge of the old quarter. There is no flange done, the new skin was simply put on top of the old and spotwelded. I think I can make a cut right above the bodyline and buttweld with good results. The old seam is actually no seam, I can just grind the spots down with a flapdisc, I just have to be careful cutting them, so I don't cut in to the old panel. I cut almost thru and used a sharp whatshumacallit to separate the skin from the old quarter, (Picture 3) worked fine with no damage to the panel. And to make it more of a challange, I'm gonna TIG weld all this.  :D

anlauto

Sound just cut the whole quarter off and put a full quarter on. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

Looking good wish I was making the progress you are  :bradsthumb:

On a side note :

Whatshumacallit = wedge in my neck of the woods. 

soundcontrol

Alan, I would If I didn't live in Sweden and had to wait 3-4 months for parts. (or pay $3000 in air freight).
I still might, there is plenty of opportunity for me to screw it up still.  :)

Edit by Cuda Cody: Fixed the f bomb.   :bigthumb:

anlauto

Yea...I guess I keep forgetting the challenges faced living half a world away from where the parts are :sorry:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

I wounder if he contacted the factory in Taiwan and see if they will ship direct.

http://www.triplus.com.tw/

cudaragtop

Ordered AMD full quarters for my 69 Barracuda Fastback in May 2016 and received them in November.
They were out of stock and had to be made.
I think they wait for some number of back orders before tooling up for a production run.
Then they go on the slow boat from China... I mean Taiwan.
Whatever you do just be able to look back and not say, "I Should Have..." my 2¢

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

soundcontrol

AMD is out of the right side quarters anyways. Before I got the extra skins I have, I asked AMD about ordering their skins (one side was not in stock) and they said it could be years before they order them again.
I will try to fix the ones I have first, its nothing wrong with them except for the overlappning seam.
And I really don't have a problem changing them later either, if I decide in a few years that I really wanted AMD, I can change them then.
I'm the type that never get done with a car, I always make improvements or change the engines, add blower etc.
I guess I like to work on the car more than driving it :)

soundcontrol

Quote from: A.Gramz on April 30, 2017, 04:17:12 PM
I wounder if he contacted the factory in Taiwan and see if they will ship direct.

http://www.triplus.com.tw/

I watched their video, pretty amazing they have all that gear. Wonder if the bought it from Chrysler of if they made their own. Kinda sad that our cars are now made in Taiwan.

MoparDave

I can source you Dynacorn 100.00 less per panel. Have had no customer complaints on these like I've had from AMD panels.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100