Main Menu

How to mount the flip gas lid

Started by kawahonda, June 21, 2018, 08:26:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hi all,

I've done a search and gathered some information, but could use some more help.

1) I need to buy four screws to mount the lid. Which screws do I buy at the local hardware store? What is the correct color?

2) How does the chrome ring attach? Is it just a sandwich fit?

3) I have a 1970 challenger, so I purchased a non-venting twist cap.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

The trim ring sandwiches between the quarter and the flip top. You can clean up and re-use the screws that hold the filler tube to the quarter panel. It was a pretty simple setup.
Sheldon

kawahonda

70/6chall

I found some security screws online for the E-body flip door gas cap. Thought this might help you.   Thanks,   Al

70/6chall

Oh...... and one more thing. Make sure that the rubber seal under the cap is present. I've seen many of the flip door gas caps in use, and these things are missing at times. When you snap the cap shut, it presses against the inner gas cap on the fill tube.     Thanks,   Al

kawahonda

Yep, it's got that rubber tube on the cap.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 70/6chall on June 21, 2018, 11:22:22 AM
Oh...... and one more thing. Make sure that the rubber seal under the cap is present. I've seen many of the flip door gas caps in use, and these things are missing at times. When you snap the cap shut, it presses against the inner gas cap on the fill tube.     Thanks,   Al

And that was exactly my next question, because without it ,it will rattle like mine. And I guess Mopar Dave would have these?
Get in, I'll drive

HEMICUDA

Make sure you re-bend up the corners of the inside of the trim ring, it puts pressure between the body and the bottom of the cap to keep it from rattling.

JpRngr

So, is there supposed to be a gasket or something between the chrome ring and the body?

RUNCHARGER

Nope: There's the trim ring and then the cap. There is a gasket between the filler tube and the quarter panel however.
Sheldon

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on June 21, 2018, 12:42:37 PM
Quote from: 70/6chall on June 21, 2018, 11:22:22 AM

And that was exactly my next question, because without it ,it will rattle like mine. And I guess Mopar Dave would have these?

Rattle?  Should never rattle even if your rubber gas cap lock seal is missing.  There should be a piece of spring steel at the hinge to prevent that.  You should be able to open the lid holding it in your hand and it spring up.  I have several licensed caps/rings left, the only one's on the planet with the part number and Penta Star if anyone is interested.