Main Menu

Rear Frame Rail Fitment

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, March 27, 2020, 06:08:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Even though everything seems good now, that's the message I got from this ordeal too. Trust nothing and double check everything before welding it all together.

Cuda416

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on March 29, 2020, 06:27:59 PM
Well I measured the height off the datum line and realized I made the resting points about an inch high. Not sure how I did that but I did. I chopped them all down and repositioned the car like it should be and at first glance, the measurement at the rear rails is much closer. While the artistry of the diagram may not be accurate, it does appear the rear frame rail measurement might be correct after all.

Well that's great! lol, totally agree the pictures suck, but knowing the measurements are good is helpful.

=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

jimynick

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on March 29, 2020, 08:36:16 PM
Even though everything seems good now, that's the message I got from this ordeal too. Trust nothing and double check everything before welding it all together.
Allow me to congratulate you on your perspicasity!  You could probably recoup some of the $ you'll sink into this thing, if you were to carve that statement into pieces of wood or plastic and sell one to everybody who's ever gone down the road you're now on. Misery loves company is the old saying.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

You may think I like suffering but I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing. This car was probably not worth saving but I like the challenge involved plus it will be nice to say I did everything myself (except the paint!)

gzig5

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on March 31, 2020, 06:14:04 AM
You may think I like suffering but I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing. This car was probably not worth saving but I like the challenge involved plus it will be nice to say I did everything myself (except the paint!)

I'm kinda in the same boat.  Could have picked a better project to work with.  Don't give up on the paint.  At least rattle can it and then you can claim complete victory!

70 Challenger Lover

I can paint interiors, engine bays, trunks, that sort of thing and get pretty nice results. I just can't seem to get the knack for laying it down perfect like a pro. Not afraid to keep trying but this next project, I want it to look amazing. I have lots of plans for the car and plan to keep it a long time so not skimping on the finish.

JS29

@70ChallengerLover The difference between an amateur and a professional is a professional can fix there own mistakes. Wet sanding and buffing properly can make an alright finish into a great one.  :alan2cents:

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on April 01, 2020, 05:35:41 AM
@70ChallengerLover The difference between an amateur and a professional is a professional can fix there own mistakes. Wet sanding and buffing properly can make an alright finish into a great one.  :alan2cents:
Yep,  :iagree:  what the man said, BUT, make sure you get enough clear on it to accommodate that sanding and buffing!  :cheers:

Cuda416

Alright, just beat this poor horse into the dirt a bit more....  This all got me thinking and checking my Dynacorn rear assembly. I have a hard time beliving it's messed up that bad so I am revisiting this to make sure I understand what I am seeing....

First pic is the measurement right behind the rear shock mount, per the drawing.

Second pic is at the rear of the frame rail.

I subtracted 6 inches from the overall dimensions since the thing is resting on the floor. They are 12-9/16" and 9-7/16" respectively. I did that because the drawings seem to assume a 6" datum line below the lowest points. If the front of the frame rail is on the deck and the shock mount area is at 12-9/16", then the rear of the frame rail "should" be somewhere "near" 9-7/16" but it's not even close.     :thinking:

I did see a comment on that other forum where someone said that the "D" measurement should be closer to 18" and not 15" but that seems suspect too.

What exactly am I missing?   :dunno:

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

70 Challenger Lover

That looks correct. You add 6" to your number and it's right where it should be

jimynick

Do yourself a favour and cut a 6", 18 13/16ths and 17 11/16ths pieces and put the 6" piece under your rail right where the ghart shows, the centre hole, then take your 17 11/16ths piece and put it where it's supposed to go. Then see if your centre 18 13/16ths one doesn't fit where it's supposed to go. I suspect you've got a tip in the assembly and suspending both ends where they're supposed to be will allow you to remove that and check the centre. Good luck.

Cuda416

Quote from: jimynick on April 02, 2020, 08:28:31 PM
Do yourself a favour and cut a 6", 18 13/16ths and 17 11/16ths pieces and put the 6" piece under your rail right where the ghart shows, the centre hole, then take your 17 11/16ths piece and put it where it's supposed to go. Then see if your centre 18 13/16ths one doesn't fit where it's supposed to go. I suspect you've got a tip in the assembly and suspending both ends where they're supposed to be will allow you to remove that and check the centre. Good luck.

Where are these numbers coming from? I'll admit, the 17-11/16 seems right, especially taking into account other posts saying it should be "about" 18.

I assure you though the assembly is not tipped, if you look at the first pic, you can see the front of the rail flat on the deck. The center is right where it should be, but the rear measuring stick, at 9-7/16 is 6" shorter then the 15-7/16 shown on the diagram. It's just around 2" low, so your measurement of 17-11/16 makes sense. it's late, just got home, I'll verify it's level and check the numbers again.

As always, I appreciate the input. Most everyone here has more experience in this than me so when I ask where the numbers come from, it's not a challenge, rather a genuine question.

Thanks
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

70 Challenger Lover

70 Challenger Lover

I know everyone is hot on the premade assembly but I kind of like the idea of fitting individual pieces. If there was some flaw somewhere else, I could massage the rails this way or that to get it back where I want it. I'm sure your assembly is spot on though.

JS29

Is there another challenger you could compare to yours? If you test fit all your panels, you would be assured of the placement of everything.  :alan2cents: