Main Menu

Rear Frame Rail Fitment

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, March 27, 2020, 06:08:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I just sold my a few months back. No regrets though. Got a great price and today is no sellers market.

Cuda416

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 03, 2020, 06:37:10 AM
Here is my chart.

Well there it is. Crazy how some charts float around for years with incorrect info. Hard to tell what's right and what's wrong. Mine must have a typo since it says 15-7/16" instead of 18. Easy to happen I suppose.

Here is the one I have....

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=106373.0

Thanks for the response.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

70 Challenger Lover

If you search the Internet, you can find different years and those measurements vary slightly. I bought mine years ago off eBay but I have no way of knowing just how good the info really is. I'm definitely getting the quarters in place to check floor and rail heights prior to locking them in.

Another measurement you might check is the height off the floor at the very rear of the rail by the spring hanger. My chart shows 18 1/4" which is about 5/16" lower than the measurement behind the shock tower where you measured. The rails appears to slope downward very slightly as they go back and that would account for that slight measurement variance.

I think your assembly is absolutely perfect though.

Cuda416

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 04, 2020, 08:37:47 AM
If you search the Internet, you can find different years and those measurements vary slightly. I bought mine years ago off eBay but I have no way of knowing just how good the info really is. I'm definitely getting the quarters in place to check floor and rail heights prior to locking them in.

Another measurement you might check is the height off the floor at the very rear of the rail by the spring hanger. My chart shows 18 1/4" which is about 5/16" lower than the measurement behind the shock tower where you measured. The rails appears to slope downward very slightly as they go back and that would account for that slight measurement variance.

I think your assembly is absolutely perfect though.

Yeah I agree the assembly is going to be spot on, but when the measurements don't add up it's cause for pause...

I think anything within a 1/4" either way is probably fine assuming the gaps are good.

I'll get out and double check the measurements at some point.

-=C

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

70 Challenger Lover

Just got one of the quarters on. It's not even fit yet, just slapped on out of the box. I can already see the rails and floor are going to work out nice.

JS29

Beautiful, you should sleep better tonight.  :yes:

70 Challenger Lover

This is part of the truck load of cheap metal I got from Tamraz two years back when they had that 50% off sale. The real reason I'll sleep better is I always wondered if these super inexpensive quarters were factory seconds that weren't gonna fit right! So far, that big purchase paid off huge.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

jimynick

Is the top front corner of the 1/4 sticking out from being flush with the door? My AMD 1/4's did and it required pie cutting wedges out of the flange to allow the panel to curve in sufficiently to make a good fit. Having said that, it looks like you got lucky with your purchase, so good luck with the rest. Hang ALL the tin and check your gaps, THEN and only then, do any welding.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

No, the top corner seemed fine. The bottom corner didn't drop in all the way but that was my mistake just not trimming out all the old lead well enough. There was zero fitting for this photo. Just tossed it in place. I plan to take my time with both quarters and the tail panel before welding anything. I'll probably put the decklid on too just for good measure.