Main Menu

Need Some Advice on Selling my Project

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, September 10, 2024, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull, EV2RTSE and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

70_440-6Cuda

Hi all.  Well, my 'Cuda dreams are cut short - I am going to have to move my parents in with me due to health issues and cost of care, I wont get into details but it is going to be long term and expensive.

Most likely will be selling my 1970 V code project, which honestly seems a bit overwhelming.  Question for the experts here: am I better to sell everything together as a project, or part it all out separately?  I have been acquiring the right parts over the last 1-2 years, which has cost me a small fortune.  It is pretty depressing to let it go, but not nearly as depressing as dealing with aging parents.

My initial thought is to sell it as it sits, with the front fenders, grill, valence, rallye hood and front bumper, and basically leave the car as it is, no other parts included.  It is basically a running complete car, just needs minor metal work on the front fenders, and assemble the front clip.  Basically the same car I purchased, just with an original front clip rather than the fiberglass one I got it with.  I would then sell off everything else I have individually.

Some quick background:

If you search, you will find the car was discussed on here several times - I bought it complete and running, although very incorrect.  VIN #s on dash, cowl, radiator all match, no evidence of any chassis metal work.  Car is still running, although front fenders/grill/bumper removed.  Car is VERY rust free, needs the center section of the trunk floor replaced (a bunch of small pinholes), and needs the front clip installed.  I have 2 really nice front fenders that need some metal work, and a bunch of spare fenders to steal patch panels from if needed.

I was able to acquire the broadcast sheet from Barry Washington (thank you to Barry).  Build is black, black leather w/ OH console, 440 6 barrel auto floor shift, rallye gauges, steel wheels, black vinyl top, Super Performance Axle Package,  with 4.10 Dana Sure Grip, Power disc brakes

I have a lot of NOS, restored original and original parts for the car and wonder about selling those separately to maximize my return - thoughts??

What do you think the car is worth as it sits?  I know it is all subjective, but trying to get a ballpark and decide what to do - I certainly don't want to lose my ass but that may be inevitable.  However, everything is getting harder and harder to come by so who knows?  Any advice, comments or feedback is appreciated

A small sample of Some of the parts I have collected:

date code correct freshly built 440 with restored 3x2 carbs
correct 1970 restored distributor
Bendix brake booster, correct MC, big mouth calipers, all restored + 2 piece NOS 2 piece rotors
New dash pad
Correct 1970 bucket seats
Original hood and AMD Shaker hood with trim ring
Restored lower control arms
Rocker Gill side moldings
NOS front and rear marker lights
extra restored set of 3x2 carbs
restored 3 speed wiper motor
Restored original cast iron exhaust manifolds
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cuda hunter

A W.I.W. with no fender tag.

Is there any other factory documentation aside from Broadcast sheet and fender tag?

If you sell your parts separately you will make more money for sure.  However, you will spend time and effort to deal with every tire kicker.  I'm a tire kicker...
Eventually one of the kickers will show up with some money.

Is the car a triple TX9?  Paint,Vinyl,Interior.? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

mtull

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on September 10, 2024, 02:28:51 PMI am going to have to move my parents in with me due to health issues and cost of care
I don't know how your parents feel about being dependent on one of their children but I'm betting (OK, really hoping) they'll enjoy being part of your everyday life again.  Your probably young enough to find another Mopar later in life but for them it's their last chance to spend time with you. 

Regarding your Cuda, I've heard folks mention in general terms the more a project resembles a complete car the more it's worth.  I guess it depends on the buyer.  I think you have a really desirable car with some very desirable options.  If I were in the market for a project car, my WAG on fair market value would be 40K ~ 45K as is with the parts you mentioned.  Hopefully I'm not too far off one direction or the other. Hopefully group consensus will inform a more accurate assessment.

I wish you and your family the best.

RUNCHARGER

Sorry to hear but family comes first. Maybe consider mothballing it for awhile and save it for later if possible. The value will keep going up and it will be harder to find a sumilar project in the future. Good luck with whatever you have to do.
And yes some people make their living from parting out complete cars so there is more cash to be had in the parts but what  PITA to deal with all the penny pinchers and a lot of buyers will have to be shipped to and that just doesn't work very well these days. I throw parts out rather than sell them now.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: cuda hunter on September 10, 2024, 05:31:43 PMA W.I.W. with no fender tag.

Is there any other factory documentation aside from Broadcast sheet and fender tag?

If you sell your parts separately you will make more money for sure.  However, you will spend time and effort to deal with every tire kicker.  I'm a tire kicker...
Eventually one of the kickers will show up with some money.

Is the car a triple TX9?  Paint,Vinyl,Interior.?

@cuda hunter, no other documentation than the broadcast sheet, fender tag was gone when I got it.  I got the broadcast sheet from Barry at Hamtramck Registry by pure luck.  Yes, triple black with leather interior.  I love the build on the car, and the way the broadcast sheet was found.  For me, a big part of what I love about this car is the story, and finding the right stuff to bring it back to the factory specs, I love the story behind it.  If i had unlimited cash, I would strip it to a shell, send it out to have the body and paint done and reassemble everything myself and drive the hell out of it.  I am sure the body work is north of $25K easily and that could help a lot with long term care.

Just thinking in terms of what I paid for the big ticket items (70 only seats, Dana 60 with correct BOM, correct 70 distributor, 3x2 carbs, Hemi leaf springs etc) those are all big ticket items that sell pretty easy.  But seems a shame to split everything up but I have to be realistic.  Starting to feel like one of those guys just out to make a buck, and I care about the car and its history, just in a tough spot and need the cash to support everyone.

The big question I have is what does everyone think the car would be worth, complete, running as is?  Original Mopar front fenders, hood, header panel, valence, grill etc included, not installed.  Has 8-3/4 rear and incorrect leaf springs

Any other info that would help let me know.  I attached the build sheet decoded from the broadcast sheet
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks @RUNCHARGER, appreciate it.  Most of the parts I have are pretty desirable, hard to come by items that generally command pretty good prices.  the hard part is taking out the emotional attachment and making the best of an unpleasant situation.  I dont mind the effort of selling parts, I have been doing that for years and years cleaning out my junk...

RUNCHARGER

I think having the car running is a big deal. It separates it from being a project nightmare to being something more tangible, it's giong to add a lot to the value. If parts sell in your area easily yes I would list the running shell and separately list all the nice parts. Listing without the parts keeps the buy in low and if the buyer decides he wants all the parts as well, of course they are available for extra cost. Wish I was closer, the black on black with leather and a Dana makes this car so much more interesting.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

It is currently running and complete with the exception of the front fenders, header, grill valence and bumper being installed.  I have it all, just needs some work and install.  Interior is complete, lights etc all working.  Any thoughts on sell price if it were all assembled?  Dana is not in the car, has an 8-3/4 and wrong leaf springs

RUNCHARGER

Honestly no I don't. My friend bought a 70 440+6 complete last year for pretty reasonable but he has horseshoes up his A$% and a good line of B.S. Any guess on my part would be uninformed. Heck I'll take a WAG but please don't put any stock in it. Running as you say with no extras $35k ish. I'm probably way off though and I'm more attuned to Challengers which bring less money. If my WAG is wrong I would bet it is low, not high. Hopefully this guess will stir some response from people more knowledgeable.
Sheldon

R/T's 4 R/P

As MTull comments above, I would also agree with the 40-45...
However, I would get the fender tag made based on the broadcast sheet...most will want one in- hand.
I would keep it as a project and don't start selling parts, more for the benefit of whoever gets it and also so you don't come across as a 'doofus'.
It also depends on your urgency to sell.
There are a lot of people who come across as being willing to buy an incomplete project, but I've found few really have the patience for it.
It would be right up my alley...but I'm neck deep in 2 projects now.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Finoke

I would bolt on everything that will make the car look complete with a video showing it running. Put on the fenders, hood, seats. Sell the car that way. Then sell the other stuff as parts. Broadcast sheet is awesome. It contains more info than a fender tag would.

torredcuda

I would keep all the parts until the car sells as I think already having the correct parts may be more appealing to a project buyer as it saves the time, effort and expense of trying to find them, if they don`t want them then you can sell them off individually afterwards. I`m no expert on V-coda values but I think $40-45 is close, maybe a bit higher TX9 is desireable and rare.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.  Full transparency, I paid $55k for the car, so feel like it was a fair purchase for a pretty solid example.

I had a small storage unit with all the parts in it, and just moved to a larger unit that can store the car as well.  Moving everything from one unit to another, I am seeing how much I really have, and how little it would take to make the car a nice driver.

I am really struggling with what to do... Maybe just letting it sit for a bit isn't a bad idea. 

If I could just get the body work close, the rest is all just clean up and asembly and I could be enjoying the car.  I called a few fab shops but they are all at least 6 months out. 

Going to try to take an inventory of what I really have and get some decent pics of everything

cuda hunter

I agree with a reevaluation. 
The chance to own a tx9 leather V code is incredibly rare.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

I knew my WIW would be off. Re-evalue in 6 months is a good idea, maybe before Spring FLing and if you decide to sell it take it there. Don't sell it unless you make a bit of profit on it. Make sure it is running and don't worry about doing anything on the body. I like to see what I'm getting and always suspect primer or fresh paint so to me fresh bodywork has zero value and may be a detriment. Honestly I think when you are sure you want to sell it, it will sell pretty fast. Nice projects like yours don't grow on trees, most of the projects these days are upside down, bottom of the tier clunkers that have never been worth considering.
Sheldon