Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudino

Awesome pics, thanks Terry!!!

- Wade

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

RzeroB

I thought Terry's story might have inspired other "elephant" owners, past or present, to share their story with us ...

Maybe they just need a little more time to consider it ... 

In the meantime, since tomorrow is the American Memorial Day holiday, our next featured car has a bit of a military history to it ...

JS23R0B311180 is 1 of about 308 1970 Hemi Challenger RT's ever made. 1 of only 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. It is finished in EF8 Dark-Green with a V9X black Bumblebee stripe and the H5X9 black and white cloth and vinyl interior.

This Hemi Challenger RT is very well equipped with a lot of great options! From the fender tag we can see that it is equipped with the A32 Super-Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, G31/G33 chrome Sport Mirrors, N96 Shaker Hood and the R22 AM/8-Track Radio among other nice things.

Did I mention how this Hemi Challenger has the beautiful H5X9 black and white cloth and vinyl interior?? This combination looks fantastic and is perhaps my favorite Challenger interior!! However it must not have been very popular with the new car buying crowd for the 1970 model year because you just don't see many cars with this great interior in them.

That "man-hole" sized opening in the hood means only one thing ... a Shaker hood!! The Shaker Hood was only available on Challengers very early in the model year before being pulled for design changes over safety concerns. The Shaker Hood was redesigned and reintroduced to the Challenger line in April. This car was scheduled for production on April 17th ... the same day that the Shaker hood was reportedly made available to the Challenger again. As such, this car was one of the first to receive the new redesigned Shaker Hood.

King Kong hisself is very large brute ... but the Shaker sitting on top of the beast dominates the engine compartment on this Hemi Challenger RT

I actually was able to see this beast in person once. On a 2012 visit to Gatlinburg Tennessee, I ventured over to a little place called Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum and it was there.

Gatlinburg Tennessee isn't all that far from where this car was first sold new. This car is a "Y14 sold car" that was ordered by Robert Ross through Royal Dodge in Fayetteville North Carolina. Robert was a U.S. Army soldier stationed at nearby Fort Bragg. I don't know if being in the Army with everything being some shade of green had anything to do with Robert's selection of a color ... maybe ... maybe not ... because if it did then the interior probably would have been green too!!

Thank you Robert for your service ... and to all of the other veterans who also served ... all gave some ... some gave it all.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

cudamadd

Just love that hemi challenger every nut and bolt  :bigthumb: :australia:

RzeroB

Black cars matter ... so here's four of them ... one of each model and year ...

1971 Hemi Challenger RT:

JS23R1B353673 is 1 of about 76 1971 Hemi Challenger R/T's ever made. 1 of about 70 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 58 with a 4-speed. It is finished in TX9 Black with V6W white side stripes and a H6X9 black interior.

Clean and functional interior looks great ... and inviting! Of all the E-body vinyl interiors I probably like the one for the '71 Challenger the best.

Note the gray Shaker dome. I read somewhere that there was a Chrysler production memo which stated that black cars shouldn't have black Shakers because it was too much black and not enough contrast.

Not adorned with a bunch of flashy options and accessories, this Hemi Challenger appears to have been born of a very simple purpose ... to go fast.

1971 HemiCuda:

BS23R1B405092 is 1 of about 118 1971 HemiCuda''s ever made. 1 of about 107 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed. It is finished in TX9 Black-Formal with a H6XW white vinyl interior.

This HemiCuda is modestly equipped with the A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package, C16 Center Console, G15 Tinted Windshield, G33 chrome LH Sport Mirror, L34 Road Lamps and a R11 AM Radio among other things.

Not a lot of "flash" to this HemiCuda making it capable of blending into the evening and devouring any unsuspecting Camaro or Mustang that would dare to take it on.

Interesting post auction report for this car showing the ebb and flow of the market. To think, back in 2000 you could have bought this car at auction for only $58,300 complete with it's "obnoxious Hemi billboards" installed.

1970 Hemi Challenger RT:

JS23R0B204184 is 1 of about 307 1970 Hemi Challenger RT's ever made. 1 of about 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. It is finished in TX9 Bl;ack (should have V6W white side stripes) with a H6X9 black vinyl interior.

This Hemi Challenger RT doesn't have a whole lot of options, but it does have the A32 Super Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Pkg to make it go, the B51 Power Disc Brakes to make it stop,  and the booming R11 MusicMaster AM Radio to liisten to while you're doing both. Also note the lack of a C16 code indicates that this car was originally equipped with a column shift for the automatic. It still surprises me just how many of these Hemi E-bodies originally came equipped with the column shift for the automatic.

Looks like a number of drag race orientated modifications under the hood - high-rise intake, electric water pump and motor plate among other things - definitely looks ready to make some horsepower!

With the Hoosier drag radials mounted on the back and the engine mods under the hood, this Hemi Challenger RT definitely looks ready to run!

I lost the reference for where I found the pics of this car, but from the look of the tags in the window it appears to be from some auction. This might of been from the 2015 Mecum Spring Indy auction?

1970 HemiCuda:

This one might be my favorite of the four ...

BS23R0B317914 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of about 284 with a 4-speed. It is finished in TX9 Black-Velvet with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6X9 black vinyl interior.

The original owner of this HemiCuda might have ordered the car to be a dedicated drag racer as it is pretty spartan, and minimally equipped - like a drag car would be. With the exception of the "Tuff Wheel", this is the base black vinyl interior for a "Cuda - no Rallye Gauges, no Center Console, not even a radio - it's about as basic as they came.

Adding to it's stealthy all black exterior is a shiny black Shaker (other than the standard Argent Silver). Under that cool black Shaker sits a Ray Barton built monster that makes this HemiCuda live up to it's menacing all black appearance.

Void of almost all shiny trim and extraneous options, this HemiCuda is very understated, yet very menacing looking all in black. In fact the entire car is pretty basic, yet very purpose built, with the Hemi, 4-speed, and A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package, and "ghost" V6X Hemi "Hockey Stick" stripes as it's only options.

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

:twothumbsup:
Cool STuff , Thanks for the research on these cars !

JS29

floorit426

This is my favorite post of the whole forum!

RzeroB

And some white cars ...

Here's a couple of pics provided by Stephen Ross of a white '70 HemiCuda from a regional NHOA meet back in the day. At the time, this car belonged to one of the original NHOA members, Mr Boone Reichhardt.

I've never met Boone, and I don't think that I have ever encountered his former car either. What you see in these two pics is about the extent of what I know about it ... I couldn't even tell you if it was an automatic or a 4-speed!! However, according to Joe "Hemi" Sica, the VIN of this car is reportedly BS23R0B223736. With that said, if you have anything else to contribute about Boone and his white HemiCuda, please feel free to contribute!!

How about a white Hemi Challenger RT to along with the aforementioned white HemiCuda?? To my surprise, apparently I do not have any white Hemi Challenger RT's ... neither '70 nor '71!! There has to be some ... afterall, Kowalski had one ... I guess that I just haven't found them yet.

But I do have a white Hemi Challenger RT/SE!!

This is JS29R0B291202. It is 1 of about 59 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 37 with an automatic. It is finished in EW1 White with a V1W white vinyl top and a H5K4 black and burnt-orange cloth and vinyl interior. The V5X black vinyl side moldings and V21 Performance Hood Black-out Treatment must of been added as they are not on the fender tag.

As mentioned, this car is an automatic, but it doesn't have a C16 Center Console, so you know what that means ... column-shift automatic. Still surprises me how many of these cars came with the column-shift automatic. Anyway, this Hemi RT/SE also came with the A04 Basic Group Pkg but surprisingly it doesn't have an axle package which leaves it with the standard 3:23 cogs in an 8.75" axle. On the plus side it is coded for B51 Power Disc Brakes, the SE C26 Overhead Console, a M91 Luggage Rack, P31 Power Windows and the R35 AM/FM Radio among other things. Overall it's a bit of an odd, eclectic combination seemingly made more for power cruising longer distances down the highway than for being a bruising boulevard basher. I don't know about you, but I think Kowalski would have been a lot more comfortable ripping from Colorado to California in this highway star!!

Did I mention how this car is a bit of a world traveler?? Born in Detroit, but currently in Sweden with a stop in England for a few years in between!! I imagine these two pics of the car were taken somewhere in Sweden ... maybe even at their world famous "Power Big Meet" that happens every summer around the beginning of July. Never been to the Power Big Meet but I sure would like to go some day ... how about you??
Cheers!
Tom

Chryco Psycho

Both cool cars , nothing to add on the Cuda , Sorry

71REDCUDA

Not sure if this 70 Hemicuda has been shown before? A car with a nice combo..

REGISTER\R0B179138--FC7-D21-H6X9-A21-A34-A62

6bblgt

:takealook:     here's BS23R0B179138 about 25 years ago at a car show at the Twinsburg Ohio Chrysler Stamping Plant      :burnout:

:thinking:          ............ wonder if those are the same BFGs?

6bblgt

RzeroB

One fish, two fish ... red fish, blue fish.

Sounds like Dr Zeus ... but actually it's a pair of Hemi powered "fish"

First the "red fish" ...

BS23R0B219265 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is finished in FE5 Rallye-Red with a V1X black vinyl top, V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6X9 black vinyl interior.

In the ebay ad for this car all the pictures were crystal clear - except of course for this one - go figure. Although it is blurry and out of focus it can still be read. From it we can see that this HemiCuda came nicely equipped with the A01: Light Group Package, A32 Super-Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Package, A62 Rallye-Gauge Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, G36 painted Sport Mirrors. N95 California Emissions and the N97 Noise Reduction Package among other things.

This car is super-clean - just look at how that Rallye-Red paint shines! Love the license plate on this one too - "1 of 368" (automatic HemiCudas).

Ebay ad from August 2016. Funny but the ad had a very low starting bid and not a higher one more in line with a true HemiCuda. I contacted the owner and he said he was looking for $145,000 - which given the value of these cars, seemed like a pretty fair price for a stunning original HemiCuda.

and then the "blue fish" ...

BS23R0B159583 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is finished in EB5 True-Blue with a V1X black vinyl top, V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6B5 blue vinyl interior.

From this original looking fender tag we can tell that his HemiCuda originally came equipped with the A36 Performance 3:55 geared 8.75" Axle Package; A62 Rallye Gauge Package; B51 Power Disc Brakes; C16 Center Console and R11 AM Radio among other things.

Nice closeup showing the various design details of the front end of this HemiCuda. Note the "chin" spoilers visible below the front bumper.

Nice looking car from any angle ...

One fish, two fish ... red fish, blue fish ... whatever you choose ... you can't lose!!
Cheers!
Tom