Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71REDCUDA

I can confirm that. Also, BS23R1B309146 is a matching#> car now. Original trans found in Denmark.

JS23U

RzeroB

A lot of Hemi Challenger excitement recently down in Arizona with the late Mark Spear's '71 Hemi Challenger RT surfacing with the help of Randy Carlson and his "Carchaeology" YouTube channel. Be interesting to see how it turns out when it surfaces again. It may be presumptuous of me, but I imagine it will be all restored, polished and shiny ... like a brand new penny!! It will be a great looking car ... especially with that bright M28 Grill Surround Molding gleaming in the sun (yeah, I got a thing for that molding option)!!

We all know that Hemi E-Bodies are relatively rare beasts. Of all the Hemi E-Bodies, probably none are more rare than the '71 Hemi Challengers (except for the Hemi E-Body convertibles of course) with only about 77 total made. Of those 77, there is only one that I know of that rolled out of Hamtramck wearing one of the brightest High Impact colors ever devised by Chrysler ... GY3 Citron-Yella. That car is none other than JS23R1B350712 and is currently owned by a very lucky Canadian named Kevin Kuypers

JS23R1B350712 is one of about 71 1971 Hemi Challenger R/T's made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed. It is finished in the bright "day-glow" GY3 Citron-Yella perfectly accented by V6X black side stripes and a V1X black vinyl top. To me, this car just screams "LOOK AT ME!!"

This Hemi Challenger RT wears the rather rare (for a Challenger) A22 Elastomeric Bumpers front and back ... although according to Kevin the car was not originally coded for them ... but they do look GREAT on this car.

This Hemi wears a hat!! According to the fender tag and Kevin, this is an original Shaker hood car. The huge Shaker bubble dominates the engine compartment and obscures the massive Hemi beneath it ... but the bold "426 Hemi" callouts on the Shaker leave little doubt as to the monster hiding beneath the bubble.

This Hemi Challenger is nicely equipped inside and out. Behind the Hemi is a 4-speed transmission with the iconic "Pistol-Grip" shifter (of course) that transfers all of the pachyderm's prodigious power (say that three times fast!!) back to the A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana axle. To help control the monster B51 Power Disc Brakes are used to reign in the Challenger after bursts of rapid acceleration.

Inside this Hemi Challenger actually has some creature comforts for elephant trainer holding the reigns. Among them are  the A01 Light Group Pkg, a C16 Center Console, a H31 Rear Window Defogger, and the not so common R36 AM/FM/Cassette Radio with microphone among other things.

Why is this guy smiling?? Besides the couple of Molsons, he is smiling because he is Kevin Kuypers the owner of this beautiful, oh excuse me, "beauty eh" Hemi Challenger RT. Lucky guy ... and a super nice guy who was a pleasure to talk to when he had his car on display at the 2017 MCACN show in Chicago.

And maybe you caught a glimpse of the EV2 Hemi Orange Challenger to Kevin's right?? Yep, that is the infamous export '71 Hemi Challenger RT, aka the "Swiss Hemi Challenger RT" that is owned by fellow Canadian Dave Saruk. In my meaningless opinion, Kevin's Citron-Yella and Dave's Hemi-Orange Hemi Challengers are two of the finest examples of '71 Hemi Challengers that there are ... they are both beauties ... eh? Here's a pic of Kevin and Dave together with their two gorgeous '71 Hemi Challengers behind them ... smile guys!!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Thank you for putting a face to the names, being in Canada, I've often heard of these guys, but never knew if I "knew" them.... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for the latest update , the elastomeric on the GY3 car look awesome !

e_body70

Speaking of Mark Spear's '71 Hemi Challenger R/T; Troy (Mopars5150 on Instagram) the new owner, recently obtained these awesome Polaroids back when the car was new! Check out Mark driving away in it!  Very cool old school pictures  :yes:

Chryco Psycho

Cool to have those pictures !!
Obviously a year or two old given the coil . yellow ign wires  & upper rad hose etc

RzeroB

I saw some tan interior cars recently ... and I found myself really liking them ... a lot. For whatever reason, tan interiors were not very popular back in 1970. I don't know what the numbers actually were ... but it seems to me that you can find a lot more green, red and blue interiors than you can tan ones. Check out this tan interior Cuda and tell me what's not to like about that tan interior?? Got me what it is!!

BS23R0B187947 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is finished in EF8 Ivy-Green with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a beautiful PRT5 tan leather interior.

Dressed in a modest color without too many "accessories" to draw undue attention to it, this HemiCuda is almost sedate compared to some of it's more flamboyant brethren that rolled off the same assembly line. I don't know who was it's original owner, but my guess would be that it must of been a more "mature" buyer rather than some young hot rod hooligan!!

Don't let it's unassuming attire fool you ... underneath that business suit is the same monster that powers it's more flashy relatives. Instead of having to use a lot of muscle to keep the raging pachyderm under control, this one has some more civil accoutrements such as power steering, power brakes and an automatic transmission to help make your time with it a little less stressful.

And now on to the really cool feature of this car ... the beautiful tan leather interior. Don't see many in this color combination, which is surprising being how nice that PRT5 tan leather interior looks with the Ivy-Green exterior.

To me that tan leather interior just looks so ... inviting. Like a mistress it beckons you to come inside and linger a while, caressing you, not burning your buns like a black interior will do, or making you worry about getting it dirty like a white one will do. This is a no worries interior that you can spend a lot of time with and simply enjoy ... while you unleash King Kong of course!! And best of all, if King Kong gets a little to crazy and you ... ahem ... soil your pants ... with the tan interior and a good air freshener ... maybe nobody will be the wiser that you did.

I absolutely love this picture ... it almost puts you in the driver's seat and gives you the perspective of what it would look like to be behind the wheel of this beauty. Now that's a wonderful view!!

Back in 2015 this gorgeous HemiCuda was for sale for $189K down at RK Motors in Charlotte NC. It didn't last long and was sold and on to it's new home in a matter of only a few weeks. I don't know who bought it, or where it is now, but I'm sure that whoever is person who now owns it must thoroughly enjoy it.

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

three two barrels

I saw this car about 30 years ago in central Alberta, owner at that time thinks it may have come from Manitoba and may have been entered in the Winnipeg World of Wheels.. The chromed out engine bay, yellow spark plug wires were still present and in decent shape. Anybody else have any info?

nsmall

Thanks for keeping this thread going bro. :bradsthumb:

JS23U

While scanning through my pics of 71 Hemi Challengers I found some (for me) questionable cars. Maybe someone knows something about the cars and can clarify if or if not these are genuine Hemis. Hope this is "allowed" in this thread. All pics were found somewhere in the net over the last 20 years or so.

I found this one on the "hemiconv"-webpage. With no further description other than that it was supposed to be a Hemi. Looks like FE5 or EV2.
Looks like FE5. Found on Facebook not long ago.

While this one looks very personalized it claimed to be a real Hemi. Judging from the background this one was in Carlisle some years ago.
A GB5 V1W car from a member of the Houston Mopar Club. The reversed air cleaner to fit the A/C makes me wonder about its originality.

A car owned by moparts member "DanielP" who doesn't seem to be on there anymore. Don't know if it is a genuine Hemi.
This one claims to be JS23R1B197015 and was told to be a blue color. Was for sale on ebay in 2004. Has anybody seen or heard of the car since then?

JS23U

Others:
A picture from a calendar. I read the car was/is connected to Norm Noble.
Recently found in the net. No further infos known.
What state is that plate from?

This car was for sale in Sterling Heights in 2003. Original GK6 Hemi. Anyone has a VIN?
A black Hemi with OHIO plates. What became of that car? Again, does anyone know the VIN?

anlauto

I took this picture myself 28 years ago.....likely the last time the car has seen daylight....I don't think the owner is a member here, but I think Terry @mccannix may be able to fill us in on whether or not the car exists or if I was just seeing a ghost of Hemis past... :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Alan...the car gets out occasionally, same owner for 40 years and looks same today as in your picture.
It was discussed earlier here with pictures as shown shortly after new when Freddy owned it.
Factory shaker, louver, wing, full tint, FC7, white interior 4 spd dana,

antonellomopar

Hello group, greetings from Italy. I own Hemicuda BS23 R0B 236050. Was sold new in Italy, and is coded as such, both on the fender tag and BS. I had bought the car with a broken engine in 1986, and in the meantime I have put it back to stock after a shoddy resotration performed by me when I was young. Fixed the engine back to stock, and have restored the items taken away during resto, like vinyl top, altenrator, carbs, and distributor. I had boght the car with 10.000 km, about 6000 miles, and now sports about 21.000 km.