Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GY3R/T

Are we looking at 3 factory 1970 N96 hemi Cuda's imported to france to race for one Team !!! :unbelievable:

71REDCUDA

Quote from: GY3R/T on June 23, 2018, 09:26:56 PM
   Are we looking at 3 factory 1970 N96 hemi Cuda's imported to france to race for one Team !!! :unbelievable:

Thats far from all.. guess who took in the French 71 Hemicuda convertibles.. and there is 2 french export BS23R1B cars also..(4 export BS23R1B cars in total) one is now being restored in Sweden, its a GB5 car, the other car is still in France and its a GW3.. Both are 4 spd cars.. Cars were raced and after some accident they recived a 70 grille-some photos here..

RzeroB

Quote from: GY3R/T on June 23, 2018, 09:26:56 PM

As far as I could determine from what information was available on that now defunct website, there were at least three R-code '70's and two '71's for a total of at least five factory HemiCuda's used by this racing team. They did have some other non R-code cars, including at least one '70 V-code, that they swapped Hemi's into. There may be more, as some of the license registrations numbers listed in the website articles and seen in pictures, have no VIN referenced to them so who knows what type of car they left the factory as?? Interesting stuff for sure!!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

CudaMoparRay

Great rare info and historical pictures  :bigthumb:

RzeroB

Our next and last June born baby for this feature is this beautiful '71 Hemi Challenger RT.

JS23R1B416925 is 1 of 70 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 58 with a 4-speed. It is finished in the very appropriately named EV2 Hemi-Orange and has V6X black RT stripes with a H6X9 black interior.

Nice interior view. Out of all the different variations of vinyl interiors for the E-body, I like the one they put in the '71 Challenger the best.

The Shaker hood is an added feature and did not come with the car from the factory. However, on the bright side, this Hemi Challenger RT does come with a very unique feature ... a "Mini-Me" of itself!

From the background we can see that this car, like a surprising number of other high-end cars, spent some time passing through Greg Nelson's Mopar Ponderosa up in Minnesota.

And like many other high-end E-bodies, this Hemi Challenger RT has made the rounds at an auction of two. Here is a snap-shot of it's time through Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale auction from way back in 2007. That was over 11 years ago now ... haven't seen any other auction results for this car since then. Who ever the lucky current owner of this car is must be rather pleased with it ... and they should be!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

More 4 spds than autos in 71 I guess ,
Great color combo  :twothumbsup:

Morty426

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 28, 2018, 09:33:49 PM
More 4 spds than autos in 71 I guess ,
Great color combo  :twothumbsup:

Yeah I thought there were only 12 automatics

6bblgt

this "little" E74 HEMI engine OPTION description in the 1971 Challenger pocket salesman price guide is probably responsible for the lack of automatic HEMI 1971 Challenger R/Ts

:thinking: poorly written/edited

Morty426

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 29, 2018, 12:50:50 PM
this "little" E74 HEMI engine OPTION description in the 1971 Challenger pocket salesman price guide is probably responsible for the lack of automatic HEMI 1971 Challenger R/Ts

:thinking: poorly written/edited

Wow!  That's a major blunder

Chryco Psycho

LOL as it should be why would you want  Hemi with Auto  :veryexcited:

Topcat

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 30, 2018, 03:39:31 PM

@floorit426 & I did a little street brawling a few weeks ago.

He has an A/T and came out the gate...HARD!
I had 65 more ci on him and it took an effort to try and keep up to him.

Respect for A/T's  :alan2cents:

Morty426

Quote from: Topcat on June 30, 2018, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 30, 2018, 03:39:31 PM

@floorit426 & I did a little street brawling a few weeks ago.

He has an A/T and came out the gate...HARD!
I had 65 more ci on him and it took an effort to try and keep up to him.

Respect for A/T's  :alan2cents:

Yeah a 4.10 AT car with a Hemi or a 440+6 are a total kick in the pants. 

But I think floorit426 put 3.54s in his car  :thinking:

floorit426

Correct you are, Chris. Truth be told, I think I hit it, before Mike, but it was still a good match. My OPINION Is that, a four speed has more cache, but an automatic will win you more races (if you're into that). I bracket raced my Cuda for three years, and wouldn't trade, if given the choice. But now, I might be tempted.

RzeroB

July ... with only a few more weeks to go, the '70 model-year's production run is winding down and coming to an end. Pickings are slim, but we still have a few nice '70 cars left that were scheduled to roll out of Hamtramck in July.

Interestingly though, for the '71 model-year's production, there were no Hemi E-bodies that were scheduled to be built in July. The last '71 HemiCuda and Hemi Challenger were both scheduled to be built in mid-June. Of course that's "scheduled" to be built and not necessarily "in plant, in process" over at Hamtramck which could have been in July??

With out further ado, here are the "Johnny come lately" cars that rolled out of Hamtramck in the "eleventh hour" before production ended for the model-year ... and for the '71's, permanently ended Hemi E-body production.

This is BS23R0B412027 and it was scheduled to be built on July 7th 1970. It is 1 of only 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4-speed. It is finished in EF8 Ivy-Green with V6X black "hockey stick" stripes, a V1X black vinyl top and a H6X9 black vinyl interior.

The all important broadcast sheet clearly showing it's "707" SPD there on the top left side next to the VON. It's a bit hard to read, but what I gleaned from the build sheet is that this HemiCuda came equipped with the A01 Light Group Package, A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package, A62 Rallye Gauge Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes and G31/G33 chrome Sport Mirrors among other nice things.

Looking good from any angle, this EF8 Ivy-Green HemiCuda almost "camouflaged" as the Ivy-Green paint blends in pretty well with all of the pine trees in the background. If it wasn't for the chrome mirrors and bright rallye wheels, it just might blend in and become virtually invisible. In that kind of environment, Ivy-Green is a great color choice for "stalking" unsuspecting "victims" on the streets ... and also for avoiding undue attention from members of the law enforcement community!!  :vipermanhiding:

Interestingly, this HemiCuda has a black Shaker bubble versus the usual Argent one for a '70. Was it changed by owner preference at some point, or was it a production change in preparation for what was coming with the '71 Shaker bubbles all being black?

As far as I can tell, this green beauty was last at auction in 2010 at Mecum's spring Indy event where it sold for $170K. Surpisingly, Mecum still has the ad for this car at that auction up and running even though it has been eight years since it has occured. Bang it here if you would like to see it  https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0510-90168/   

To whom it was sold, and where it might be now, I don't know, but I'm sure whoever has it now makes all of their friends "green with envy" over having picked up such a nice car! 
Cheers!
Tom

RzeroB

Our next July baby was scheduled to roll down the line on the same day as our last featured car - July 7th (SPD 707).

BS23R0B412035 is 1 of only 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is finished in the not too common FT6 Burnt-Tan finish with V6X black "hockey stick" stripes and a H6T5 tan vinyl interior.

This HemiCuda is nicely equipped with A01 Light Group Package, A62 Rallye Gauge Package, C16 Center Console with Slap-Stik, P31 Power Windows and a R11 AM Radio among other things. I think the H6T5 tan interior REALLY looks great with the FT6 Burnt-Tan exterior on this car - it's like they were made for each other!

Searching the internet, I stumbled upon this old ad for the car by the Colonial Motor Company. I don't know how to decipher that date code on the bottom, but you know this ad is really old simply by the $60K asking price!

I also found this more "recent" Barrett-Jackson ad for the car, although it is now from over 10 years ago. As we can see, in 2008 this car sold at auction for $165K - a hefty 100K more than it did with the Colonial Motor Company!

The ad also reveals some other interesting things about the car. After where it says it was manufactured on July 7th it says "#260 of 262 hardtops" - huh? GG inspected the car and "certified" it in 2002, so I assume it was "#260 of 262 hardtops" in GG's registry at the time? It goes on to say that the car is the 4th of only 4 HemiCuda's painted in FT6 - apparently FT6 Burnt-Tan wasn't a very popular color choice with the performance minded gearheads ordering these ultimate Cuda's new. Then it gets into the good stuff where it says the the car has not one, but three broadcast sheets and is numbers matching throughout.

Now if I were shopping for a HemiCuda "daily driver" (hey, I can dream can't I?), this car would be hard to beat. Got the automatic and the standard 3:23 rear (didn't see any mention of an axle package) so it's good for cruising. Got the power windows and a center console for my Slurpee. It's painted in an uncommon, yet benign color that would help it blend in and avoid undue attention from Uncle Leo (unlike it's brethern painted in those loud High-Impact colors).

Personally, I REALLY like this one and I give it a solid "10".  :perfect10:  I don't know where it is today, or who owns it, but I would like to so I could see if they might be willing to part with it for a "Colonial Motor Company" kind of price!  :andyangel:
Cheers!
Tom