Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

:welcome: From central New York! That is quite the collection you have there. Is that FM3 Dart I see in one of your pictures a swinger-340?  :handshake:

three two barrels

Quote from: JS29 on October 26, 2019, 05:44:34 AM
:welcome: From central New York! That is quite the collection you have there. Is that FM3 Dart I see in one of your pictures a swinger-340?  :handshake:
I was wondering if there were any A body or FM3 fans here. Yes it is an original FM3 340 four speed Swinger 340.
Thank you for the kind words.

RzeroB

Quote from: three two barrels on October 25, 2019, 09:46:34 PM
I purchased this car in 2000, enjoyed it for 4 years, it is the first of 5 1971 Hemi Challengers sold in Canada, all numbers match, build sheet and original fender tag. Original owner Yves N*** purchased it in Montreal Quebec and it spent time in Manitoba, Ontario and Alberta before heading to Texas.

@three two barrels  Welcome aboard and thank you so much for your contribution to the thread!!  :bigthumb:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JS29

@three two barrels When i was a kid, a chick down the road had a FJ6 Swinger340. She drove the wheels off that car. I don't know what ever happened to that car! It was sharp, been a fan of them ever cents.  :twothumbsup:

RzeroB

Happy Halloween!!  :Stirring:  Here's a pair of "scary" fast Hemi E-bodies, one Cuda and one Challenger, in the most traditional of Halloween colors EK2 and TX9 ... okay, okay, orange and black!!

First up is BS23R0B146526 which is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4-speed. It is finished in EK2 Vitamin-C with a V1X black vinyl top and a PRX9 black leather interior.

To me the luggage rack kind of distracts from the beautiful lines of the the 'Cuda. The luggage rack is kind of a dated throw back to the pre-World-War II cars that had them and were actually used for carrying luggage. Just can't imagine a HemiCuda cruising around with a couple of suitcases tied down to the luggage rack can you? Or maybe it was more useful for carrying your racing slicks to the drag strip because they wouldn't fit in the trunk?

This HemiCuda was reportedly ordered by Kalamazoo Chrysler Plymouth as a dealer ordered car and they loaded it up pretty nicely. This HemiCuda has such things as the A01 Light Group Package, A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package, A62 Rallye Gauge Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, G31/G33 chrome Sport Mirrors, H31 Rear Window Defogger, M91 Luggage Rack, the mighty R11 AM Radio, S77 Power Steering and a S83 Rim-Blow Steering Wheel among other things. This HemiCuda has so many options that the window sticker required a rarely seen "continuation" sheet!

In case you missed it, this HemiCuda was listed in Hemming's January 2017 on-line edition for $189K.

Interesting that the car was reportedly not a "sold car", but a "dealer ordered" car. Eventually was sold, spent some time as a drag racer where it had it's original engine "destroyed", rebuilt, restored and eventually became a "consistent show winner" ... which seems to be a fairly common career path with these cars.

And now for our Halloween Challenger ...

This is JS23R0B376276 which is 1 of about 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. It is finished in EK2 Go-Mango with V6X black side stripes, the V21 hood blackout treatment, a V1X black vinyl top and a H6XW white interior.

This Hemi Challenger RT has a lot of nice amenities to include the A01 Light Group Pkg, A45 Aero Spoiler Pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, S77 Power Steering and the thumping R11 Music-Master AM Radio among other things.

This Hemi looks like it actually gets used and is not just a polished show queen - I like that!

Interesting high-contrast effect that the photographer used to create a visually striking image of this car ... definitely gives it a different look.

Auction ad from Russo and Steele's 2013 Newport Beach auction. It must not have sold here because a few months later it was up on the auction block again at ...

Auction ad from Barrett-Jackson's 2013 Las Vegas auction. Looks like it finally sold here for $145.2K.

Little snippet from the B-J ad. "Detailed VIN analysis and inspection by Galen Govier" ... who apparently noted it as being "one of one Hemi Challengers built in 1970". Seems like these cars are always touted as being "one of one" doesn't it? I don't think we need to patronize them with the everybody's a winner let's give them a trophy "one of one" comment do we? These cars ARE already special just by having the monster of all muscle car motors stuffed in between the fenders!

Happy Halloween!! 
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

benlavigne

Happy Halloween to you too!
Can't argue with your choice of color for the occasion, love Go Mango!

Ben

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for the articles on both cars !!  :twothumbsup:

750-h2

RzeroB

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2019, 09:15:52 PM
Thanks for the articles on both cars !!  :twothumbsup:

Neil, you seem to be my biggest fan!  :1place:  Kind of ironic in that I'm sure you have a LOT more first hand experience with them than I ever did! Appreciate the love brother ... keeps me posting them up.
Cheers!
Tom

JS29

RzeroB

Well, well, well ... what do we have here?

This car was featured in a May 2011 Car Craft magazine article. It, along with several other Mopar and "brand X" muscle cars, have been sitting in a southern California self-storage lot for over 20 years ... which has to be close to being over 30 years today.

So what kind of 'Cuda is it? Kind of hard to tell from these pictures. The Shaker however, tips this car's hand (as Shakers almost always do) and invites those knowledgeable of what that Shaker may indicate to investigate closer. A quick peek in the window and we can see a basic black vinyl interior, Rallye Gauges and the iconic Pistol-Grip shifter for the 4-speed. But what's under the faded Shaker? 

Mini padlocks through the hood pins prevent us from pulling a sneaky quick hood pop. Down on the knees for a peek underneath ... there's the torque-boxes around the rear spring perches ... and a skid-plate on the K-member. Could it be? If only the light was a little better so the VIN could be more clearly seen through the years of grime on the windshield ... BS23 ... is that a ... "R"? Why yes it is!

Turns out this is BS23R0B187998 which is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4 speed. Hard to tell exactly just what color it may have originally been? Looking around the tail panel there seems to be a couple of different possible colors (Lemon Twist? Limelight? or maybe it's just mold?) showing through the primer, but I'm just going to call it "Burnt Primer" or paint code "FBP" (F for 1970 and BP for "Burnt Primer") for now!

This HemiCuda ... and the other muscle cars keeping it company ... are not abandoned. The owner was able to be contacted and he is well aware of what he has ... and of course (que the drum roll please) he fully intends to restore them all ... someday. Now that was back in 2011 ... wonder how much progress he's made with restoring these cars since then?
Cheers!
Tom

750-h2

Chryco Psycho

cuda hunter

BS23R0B187998  is beautiful!  Oh how I would love to find one looking like that.  actual driveable patina.   kinda. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

Quote from: RzeroB on October 31, 2019, 02:36:25 PMThis is JS23R0B376276 which is 1 of about 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. It is finished in EK2 Go-Mango with V6X black side stripes, the V21 hood blackout treatment, a V1X black vinyl top and a H6XW white interior.

the original engine for this car is in a Chicago garage - anyone know the owner of the car?