Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on April 22, 2020, 06:20:17 AM
Quote from: Mr Lee on April 22, 2020, 05:07:36 AM
I could tweak it's position and then tighten up the bolts.  Remove it, then weld it. 
What happens if God forbid , you get rear ended ? How/where will the bumper fold up?  You might want to weld everything back up once you get it where you want it?  :alan2cents:
Sounds like that is what he is doing?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

:iagree: That is what i thought when i read it  :alan2cents:

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on April 22, 2020, 07:47:35 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on April 22, 2020, 06:20:17 AM
Quote from: Mr Lee on April 22, 2020, 05:07:36 AM
I could tweak it's position and then tighten up the bolts.  Remove it, then weld it. 
What happens if God forbid , you get rear ended ? How/where will the bumper fold up?  You might want to weld everything back up once you get it where you want it?  :alan2cents:
Sounds like that is what he is doing?

Your right I reread it and missed that the first time.  :-[   Sorry just the old tech inspector coming out again!  :-X

dodj

Quote from: Burdar on April 22, 2020, 08:00:40 AM
QuoteI will be doing something similar with my '73 brackets.

73 brackets look nothing like those do.  You'd be better off getting some 70-72 brackets.  73 brackets are thin stamped steel that actually look like Cuda brackets.
The brackets on my '73 are about 3/16" thick?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mr Lee

Yeah, gonna weld em back up solid and thick.  They have to be able to support the weight of the car should i get a flat tire and need to jack up the car. 

Not sure how thick they are but they are easily thicker than that 1/4" pc of steel I used to join the two halves together. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

jimynick

If you'd ever jacked one of these cars up by it's bumper, you may not have been so quick to cut/tuck them in as close as you did. I like the look, but Mother Mopar designed it to accept a small hit without jamming the bumper into the 1/4s and they do flex some when jacking as well. Hopefully you'll never get to know, right?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

jimynick

In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Mr Lee

Do you think that they're closer than stock?  I do see your point, thanks, but i think I'll take my chances.  I like the look.

These bumpers are pretty robust.  Mine had a tow hitch attached to it at some point which was a bit surprising to me.  Just two bolts through the bumper by the license plate.  Nothing to the frame from what i could tell.  So thats as good as saying the bumper is a structual member.   
If i have to jack up the car at the bumper i will keep an eye on it.  Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

dodj

@Burdar
Thanks for that info. I didn't realize the '73 bracket was a one year only. I assume the '74 only appears the same as 70-72? Must hold the bumper out like the 73 bracket?

I was thinking I need to mod a '73 bracket because I have a very nice keystone 73 bumper. But I suppose it would not be that difficult to weld on more material where needed to accommodate bumper hole locations.

dodj

Always hated the stock ebrake setup. It's like a clothes line strung up under the car. So I went with this instead
New estopp and Lokar brake cables.

Cuda70-74

Got my master cylinder in today. Yes it is the chevy kind
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on April 23, 2020, 11:49:43 AM
@Burdar
Thanks for that info. I didn't realize the '73 bracket was a one year only. I assume the '74 only appears the same as 70-72? Must hold the bumper out like the 73 bracket?

I was thinking I need to mod a '73 bracket because I have a very nice keystone 73 bumper. But I suppose it would not be that difficult to weld on more material where needed to accommodate bumper hole locations.
Yes the 74 brackets are visually the same as pictured.
No they are not the same. The 74s mount to a thick crash bar hidden inside the bumpers. The hole locations thru the crash bars are different.
Yes they also stick out farther. Somewhere around 1.5 inches.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Got it out in the April sunshine!
To you 'Wild Eye'd Southern boys', it is really an accomplishment to get it out that early here. You will notice the snow in the background....

Cuda70-74

Installed my master cylinder and got my shifter rods in today
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on April 27, 2020, 06:13:08 PM
Got it out in the April sunshine!
To you 'Wild Eye'd Southern boys', it is really an accomplishment to get it out that early here. You will notice the snow in the background....

It was just a few days ago when the last of the snow melted here. Enough already!
Car looks great!  :bradsthumb: