Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Deezel, blown motor and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr Lee

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 14, 2020, 11:20:45 AM
Been thinking about doing this for awhile to relief hot air out of the engine bay prolonging the life of the electronics. I fabricated them out of some gutter drain screen. Took about half hour to make excluding painting and drying. Not very professional looking but ok unless looking close up. It works like a chimney after engine is off as proven by my tissue paper test. I did not drill out the factory "pan" setup that is held by rivets so the slot opening is not that big. I wanted to keep it reversible.
I like it.  Im guessing you dont have a hood insulation pad right?  I think that would block the scoops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

dodj

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 14, 2020, 11:20:45 AM
Been thinking about doing this for awhile to relief hot air out of the engine bay prolonging the life of the electronics. I fabricated them out of some gutter drain screen. Took about half hour to make excluding painting and drying. Not very professional looking but ok unless looking close up. It works like a chimney after engine is off as proven by my tissue paper test. I did not drill out the factory "pan" setup that is held by rivets so the slot opening is not that big. I wanted to keep it reversible.
Unless ducted straight into the engine, opening the scoops reduces the cooling ability of the radiator. If you increase the amount of air entering behind the radiator, it increases the air pressure behind the rad, so less air less can flow through the rad to cool the engine coolant.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

Prop fan in general can move large amount of air but do not generate much static pressure. So back pressure will affect the fan's air moving performance. Now, when car is not moving, engine bay is at atmospheric pressure. Note the bottom of the car is open. The tiny slit openings at the hood don't make any difference. When car is moving, the fan see a positive pressure in front of the radiator which helps the fan move more air. The positive pressure increases as the car moves faster. You dont need the fan to keep cool. There will be hardly any air that will get into the hood scoop as it is too far back position on the hood for ramping any air. Now when the car stops and engine turned off, residual heat radiating off the hot parts induces air current. Hot air rises and if you have an opening at the hood, heat can escape. That is my intention of the mod.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 14, 2020, 06:48:36 PM
Now when the car stops and engine turned off, residual heat radiating off the hot parts induces air current. Hot air rises and if you have an opening at the hood, heat can escape. That is my intention of the mod.
:bigthumb: Gotcha!
I opened up those scoops in an effort to cool the engine while running. My temps increased. However, if opening up to cool an engine after shutdown, or sitting there idling, it will definitely make a difference.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: Mr Lee on June 14, 2020, 01:50:00 PM
Quote from: 71383bee on June 14, 2020, 09:22:11 AM
Looks sweet Mr. Lee!  I really love the vinyl top on these cars. I think they enhance the character lines of the body in the quarters.

Where did you get that challenger poster on your wall? Looks like the color matches the car! 

Thanks. 
The poster was a gift but it comes from https://automolove.ca/
He makes them to replicate your car.  So its no coincidence that car on the poster is my color and also has the gator grain top.  It also has the rim-blow wheel which im going to have on my car. 
[mention]anlauto [/mention]
That wasnt me.  My car is an original V1G gator top car.  And there is a story behind the top...  I bought my car in 1991.  In 1995 an NOS roll of the gator grain material was found.  It was enough to make about 8 tops.  My brother saw the ad in a mopar magazine and I was lucky enough to have been one of the few who were able to get an order in and bought one (from Legendary) for $800 back in '95.  It's been in my posession for the last 25 years.  I finally went to have it installed this year in feb.  Laid it out on the car..... and it was too narrow by about 3 inches!!  Wasnt cut right.  My heart sank.  I waited all that time and the top was no good.  Luckily I still had the receipt and, long story short, got Legendary to honor it.  They sent me a new repro top free of charge and just had it installed yesterday.  I think it really makes the car special.  Im glad I was able to finally see the car in its gator skin  :)  I love it.

Looks fantastic :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

Puttin' on the jewelry (began installing some trim).  Roofrail trim, vinyl top trim, wheel lip mouldings.

dodj

Quote from: Mr Lee on June 14, 2020, 07:51:54 PM
Puttin' on the jewelry (began installing some trim).  Roofrail trim, vinyl top trim, wheel lip moulding
That's gotta feel good. Looking great!

cudamadd

YellowThumper

@7212Mopar I concur with all you stated. Another item I have long pondered is to remove the lower rubber access and splash shields behind the shock towers. As most of these are relegated to fair weather driving. This would add possibility of more air evacuation.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

Those were already missing when I got my car and I kept it that way. The only thing left was the PS front plastic guard that I later removed because of interference with the adjustable strut rods. My TTI headers are ceramic coated outside and thermal coated inside. The engine bay is still hot. Could be worst if headers were not coated. My coolant temp gets up to 210 F if sitting in idle after a long drive. It will be around 170 F on freeway speed and outside is less than 85F. City driving I will be in around 185 F.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

Heat issue is paramount for me as well. Time will tell after they are finally finished. I am torn between utilizing them for cold air intake (have a design plan) and open for what you have done. Regardless I will be opening the inserts up. I have spares purchased just for this. Similar idea to this. Just not as extreme.

Mike.

Brads70

If this gives you any idea's, I made this up for mine. Have it switched to a toggle switch when I need it. I made this up when I was having overheating issues, but have since solved them so I don't use this now. Bilge fan for a boat or also commonly used as cooling fans for motorsports , brakes etc....
It does suck a lot of hot air out in a hurry, worked good in traffic.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Brads70 on June 15, 2020, 11:12:10 AM
If this gives you any idea's, I made this up for mine. Have it switched to a toggle switch when I need it. I made this up when I was having overheating issues, but have since solved them so I don't use this now. Bilge fan for a boat or also commonly used as cooling fans for motorsports , brakes etc....

Very good. I will for sure log that info away.

Thanks.

Mike.

Mr Lee

Pretty cool. Is that all stainless?

Brads70

Quote from: Mr Lee on June 18, 2020, 06:09:56 PM
Pretty cool. Is that all stainless?

No just body metal.