Main Menu

Mecum = Curious ?

Started by anlauto, December 07, 2022, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

This goes next month, curious to see what it sells for...it has some things in common with mine, but so much NOT in common  :drunk:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-539590/1971-plymouth-barracuda-convertible/ 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

This weekend? Did I miss Christmas and the end of 2022?
Resto mods are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  It's really hard to value them.
0 to me but I've seen many resto mods bringing very big bucks lately.
Now I've got to go change my calendars and watch, seeing how it's 2023 now!  :huh:

anlauto

Oh shit...my bad....when I saw the other thread, I just assumed it was this weekend....SORRY :whiteflag:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dodj

Looks decent to me. I would like the exhaust tucked up a little better, but didn't really see anything that would warrant the  :barf: emoji imo.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

captcolour

I'm usually not a fan of resto mods, but I like that one.  Tastefully done.  I even like the wheels which is rare for me.

71vert340

I guess what bothers me is seeing so much blue paint visible in the side photo. Wheel wells need to be black to make the wheels/tires look better. Just my opinion. It would be a fun car to drive. I like it.
Terry W.

70vert

Agree, it will be interesting.
The exhaust is definitely too low, especially for a low sitting car. And it is way too much blue for me. But overall it looks like nice work and I'm sure will get a bunch of interest.
Would be fun have a "classic" as your daily!

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2022, 05:28:46 AM
Changed it for you  :drinkingbud:
Ha ha. Not necessary, it just my opinion...When I saw the barf emoji I was expecting some one-off paint job that very few people would like,  or maybe 22" wheels with rubber band tires etc.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JH27N0B

What gives me negative feelings on cars like that one is partly as a result of seeing my friends experience with this car.  He had this car built off a nice N code cuda project he bought from another friend.  I wish he'd started with a Barracuda instead at least.
He isn't a hands on guy so I would bet he put over 100K into the build at a shop.
Then he found he hated driving it as it would bottom out a lot as one of several reasons.  He spent quite a while trying to sell it before it finally found a new home.  It even ended up at an auction in Saudi Arabia a few years ago as one of the many venues he tried to sell it at!
Like a moth to a flame, he had another car built recently, a 69 Camaro with a late model Corvette engine and 6 speed manual.  Narrowed rear, custom interior, the works.  Impressive build and another 6 figure bill I'm sure!
The thought of owning a custom build someone else did scares me, as unless it was documented to the hilt or the shop that built it is still around and nearby, diagnosing issues or figuring out what parts to seek for when a repair is needed must be a nightmare!

Katfish

I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love these resto-mod cars.
The original cars are nice to look at, but awful to drive.
I'd rather drive and enjoy the car, rather than have it sit in the garage to only occasionally take to a show.

dodj

Quote from: Katfish on December 08, 2022, 02:38:06 PM
I'd rather drive and enjoy the car, rather than have it sit in the garage to only occasionally take to a show.
:iagree:
I'll take resto-mod over original any day. Original rides like a lumber wagon.
I don't give a rat's a$$ about originality.

**edit** I can very much appreciate a nicely restored original though **

anlauto

Quote from: Katfish on December 08, 2022, 02:38:06 PM

I have to agree that my Cuda drives way nicer then any OE restored car that I've done.....I think rack and pinion steering has to be the biggest improvement  :alan2cents:

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2022, 04:04:53 PM

I have to agree that my Cuda drives way nicer then any OE restored car that I've done.....I think rack and pinion steering has to be the biggest improvement  :alan2cents:
What rack did you use?

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on December 09, 2022, 04:37:35 AM
Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2022, 04:04:53 PM

What rack did you use?
It came with the RMS kit, I believe it's a Flaming River. Power. :bigthumb: