Main Menu

LED Headlights

Started by Tantster, October 01, 2019, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Not a fan of angel eyes on classic cars. More a modern car thing I think.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Wayne

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

bc3j

I'm waiting for my Hella 9003/H4 bulbs to arrive. I plan on using IPCW CWC-7003 reflectors that I already own. I tried LEDs in two different H4 reflector housings and couldn't align the headlights with either one. The LEDs are definitely bright and consume little power, but with the scatter and unable to align, I took them out. There are some articles online that suggest the light pattern emanating from a LED is not compatible within a reflector designed for the 9003/H4 bulb's light pattern. I don't know about that, other than I totally ran out of adjustment on the headlight buckets to move the LED pattern down and it still wasn't over enough. Against my garage door the LEDs were all over the place. Always looking for suggestions.

YellowThumper

Correct on the "scattering" of light for LED. Their is zero directional beam from them compared to old school.
I was part of manufacturing injection tools to produce the housings for airline headlights being converted to LED.
Each one of the ring insert diameters mold lens faces that direct the emitted light to differing directions to control it.
Each step farther out channels the captured light to a central beam. This bulb (4 LED) when tested on a plane would shine a direct beam that could be seen for 40 miles. Bulb is similar in diameter to my Challenger.
This is zero help for thread but is interesting.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

There are many LED headlight designs and price ranges from less than $50 to several hundreds. Lots of reviews on web and Youtube videos that demonstrate the light pattern testing. The minimal light scatter bulbs usually seems to have two LEDs at opposite ends per bulb. The ones I purchased off Amazon was around $80. I have not tested on the road at night and was not planning to drive much at all after dark. So not spending too much on it. I mainly did it for brighter headlight that don't easily burned out and draw less amps.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Tantster

I got 2 of the LED's installed. No modifications to the buckets and they fit nice. Only issue was the inner bulbs need to be H7 as mentioned by jordan. I ordered the H7 bulbs and they should be here tomorrow.

Brads70

Katfish

Got a link to the Ebay ones you bought?
Light pattern looks nice.
Any pics of the install?

Thx

Chryco Psycho

Night & day difference , I love them in my vehicles  :twothumbsup:

EB3-GranCoupe

Chryco Psycho

They have the glass Hella 7" listed at the bottom of the same ad with H4 bulbs , you can get H4 Led easily

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jordan

Remember that the H7 bulb won't fit into the H4 lens assembly.  The lenses I got came with a plug in the lens opening for shipping.  I was able to remove the center material from the plug so that the H7 bulb would fit into to the plastic plug that fits into the H4 lens opening. 
   To say it another way:  Put the H4 plug back into the lens opening.  Use a dremel and remove material so that the H7 bulb will slip into the now modified plug.  You can now mount the H7 bulb into the H4 lens opening.  You may need to glue the modified H4 plug to the H7 bulb mount to make it permanent.  I was able to make my hole just a little tight so that if for some reason I need to replace the H7 bulb in the future, I can reuse the H4 mount. 
    It is not as complicated as it may seem.   
"Don't brake until you see God!"

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: Tantster on October 13, 2019, 02:53:30 PM
I got 2 of the LED's installed. No modifications to the buckets and they fit nice. Only issue was the inner bulbs need to be H7 as mentioned by jordan. I ordered the H7 bulbs and they should be here tomorrow.
Any pics of the headlights installed in the car? Which ones did you end up going with ?
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

dodj

Would there be anything wrong with using the H4 in the inner headlight position. You would only be using one led connection, but.....
Would the H7 be a higher lumens?