Main Menu

727 Auto to 833 4 Speed Conversion

Started by 303 Mopar, April 10, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Good question.    :huh:  I'm not sure.  I only have 1970 switches right now to look at.

Quote from: Challenger in NC on April 12, 2017, 11:48:57 AM
What is the difference between a 70 safety switch and the 71-74 version?

303 Mopar

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 12, 2017, 11:25:20 AM
I have not started looking for parts yet, how much cash can I expect to spend on a used a833 setup? I have the pedals already, noting else.

For a complete kit with a stock 833, around $6000-$6500. There are better deals, but I am impatient and don't want to spend a year hunting down parts.

YYZ

Quote from: Challenger in NC on April 12, 2017, 11:48:57 AM
What is the difference between a 70 safety switch and the 71-74 version?

Functionally, nothing.

'70 has a much larger housing for the actual switch -- it's about the size of an inch and quarter lopped off the end of a broomstick.

'71-up switches are not as deep -- roughly the same diameter but only about 1/2" thick.  The switch from a '71-4 B-body is the same, though the pedals themselves are slightly different.

Personally, I just run a green wire to ground things out if I don't have a switch.

303 Mopar

Quote from: YYZ on April 12, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
Personally, I just run a green wire to ground things out if I don't have a switch.

Or just make sure you push in the clutch before turning the key.   :yes:

71GranCoupe

In thinking  :thinking:  more on this, it is possible to use a momentary "ON" toggle switch as a temporary fix until you would find the correct one. That way, the only way the starter would engage is when the switch is held in the "ON" position and it would again be "OPEN" when the toggle is released.  :alan2cents:

soundcontrol

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 12, 2017, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on April 12, 2017, 11:25:20 AM
I have not started looking for parts yet, how much cash can I expect to spend on a used a833 setup? I have the pedals already, noting else.

For a complete kit with a stock 833, around $6000-$6500. There are better deals, but I am impatient and don't want to spend a year hunting down parts.

OK, got a quote for around 4500, all new parts with a restored stock a833, thats a pretty good deal then.

RUNCHARGER

$4500 is a deal with all new stuff. I have used "limiter switches" for the clutch switch, my buddy worked at a sawmill and gave them to me. They're a pretty simple deal, I'm sure an electrical supply could hook a guy up for cheap.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Safety switch? Did they come with that originally? Why is it needed? I had a Cuda with a 4 speed in the 80's, no switch on that one.

Chryco Psycho

I just made a small bracket & used a brake lite switch , this will prevent the car from starting without pushing the clutch pedal but it only has to be depressed a couple of inches to override the switch so it is not a perfect solution but at least you have to depress the pedal to make it start & who is going to only depress the clutch pedal 2"

303 Mopar

Update Day 2 - The headers were a tight pinch on the 392 Hemi so it took some tweaking (and time) to removed the 727 transmission and flex plate. Thank goodness for the transmission jack.  Also had to cut cooler lines to remove them. I cut all the center console brackets off the trans hump since this will be just a pistol grip shifter. Also drew an outline for the new 4 speed hump and cut out the floor being careful not to cut the trans brace.

Chryco Psycho

303 Mopar

Day 3 included welding and seam sealing in the trans hump (which is very messy and gets everywhere), cleaning up the floor and laying down the sound deadener. I bough FatMat, it's a nice and cheaper alternative to DynaMat. However, the kit I bought included 8 sheets and was about 1 sheet short.

Chryco Psycho

303 Mopar

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 15, 2017, 11:16:37 PM
Making progress   :bradsthumb:
looking good

Thanks.  It's going a lot slower than I would like but I'm only able to work on it a little at a time.  Wish I had someone up here to help me knock it out..... :thinking:

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 16, 2017, 05:30:15 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 15, 2017, 11:16:37 PM
Making progress   :bradsthumb:
looking good

Thanks.  It's going a lot slower than I would like but I'm only able to work on it a little at a time.  Wish I had someone up here to help me knock it out..... :thinking:

You can have him for a little while Frazz, but he's all mine come July!  :rofl:
Rev-It-Up