Main Menu

727 Auto to 833 4 Speed Conversion

Started by 303 Mopar, April 10, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Looking good! Nice job.
I guess a new shifter with linkage is the way to go, saw some used ones on e-bay but I assume a new one will be tighter and better.

Chryco Psycho

great to see this project moving forward again  :cooldance:

HP_Cuda

This wouldn't be hard to do but it probably wouldn't look the same but we can make the functionality the same.

:bigthumb:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 15, 2017, 06:50:58 PM
Maybe this is a part the site should look into reproducing @Cuda Cody
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

Even that would be helpful to have something available given all the 4 spd conversions being done  :slapme5:

303 Mopar

So out for a test drive and shifting from 2nd to 3rd felt like it really killed the rpm's. Then from 3rd to 4th was like downshifting. I did some research and it turns out that an OD trans requires the front lever for the 3-4 rod to be flipped upside down. Now it's much better!

RUNCHARGER

Lol: Yep! Nice to have it done I bet.
Sheldon

JS29

:twothumbsup: I bet it's A lot more fun to drive, there is nothing that can beat grabbing gears with the pistol grip.

HP_Cuda

Let us know how your 4th is now on the freeway.

Good job on the 4 speed action - look like it went pretty smooth!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 19, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
So out for a test drive and shifting from 2nd to 3rd felt like it really killed the rpm's. Then from 3rd to 4th was like downshifting. I did some research and it turns out that an OD trans requires the front lever for the 3-4 rod to be flipped upside down. Now it's much better!

LOL  :Thud:

303 Mopar

Finally done and back home!  The 4th gear OD is amazing on the highway!  Cruising at 70 mph, rpms probably around 2500 (I don't have a tach, yet), and you can still put your foot in it and it will take off!  The splits between gears are not too bad.  I'm learning to stay in it for a while longer before shifting, and trying to remember 3rd is 1:1 so unless I'm at 65+ mph for a while I just stay there.

This just got a whole lot more fun to drive!   :burnout:

Chryco Psycho

The fun factor with a 4 spd is so much better , wonder why I would never even bother to look at an E body with an auto trans .

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 26, 2017, 04:12:32 PM
Finally done and back home!  The 4th gear OD is amazing on the highway!  Cruising at 70 mph, rpms probably around 2500 (I don't have a tach, yet), and you can still put your foot in it and it will take off!  The splits between gears are not too bad.  I'm learning to stay in it for a while longer before shifting, and trying to remember 3rd is 1:1 so unless I'm at 65+ mph for a while I just stay there.

This just got a whole lot more fun to drive!   :burnout:

I have to admit, just reading about the OD sure makes one think about doing the same. Sure nice to hear low rpms, yet good cruising speed.  :perfect10:

Sleepychallenger

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 12, 2017, 02:50:23 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 12, 2017, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on April 12, 2017, 11:25:20 AM
I have not started looking for parts yet, how much cash can I expect to spend on a used a833 setup? I have the pedals already, noting else.

For a complete kit with a stock 833, around $6000-$6500. There are better deals, but I am impatient and don't want to spend a year hunting down parts.

OK, got a quote for around 4500, all new parts with a restored stock a833, thats a pretty good deal then.
I spent about $3k but that was scouring for used parts and getting good deals. I think the only new parts I got was the bell housing and clutch.

RUNCHARGER

I like that OD setup. I agree the 4 speed just seems to make the E-body experience complete.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: Sleepychallenger on June 15, 2017, 01:41:23 PM
I spent about $3k but that was scouring for used parts and getting good deals. I think the only new parts I got was the bell housing and clutch.

Thats good, I spent 1250 so far on a restored 833, looking for the rest now, when my wallet allows.