Main Menu

Hopefully this time it will continue...... engine rebuild

Started by mopar thunder, January 18, 2018, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Hmmm I don't recall seeing an oil pump crank scraper before LOL

mopar thunder

OK, it's moving forward....slowly. Cam wasn't cut properly so it was to tight of a fit so had to have it sent out. Got it back and it is installed. Now the heads and valve train are next. Fingers crossed it keeps moving in a positive direction.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: mopar thunder on January 28, 2018, 09:20:03 AM
. I got a run down sheet from Holley for what I would need for the HP I should be making. It came out to $3700 with an options list of another $1700. Soooooo we might have to wait on that.

Just curious. What system did they spec out - Holly?

For a FAST XFI Sportsman or even their 2.0 (both multi-port ... not TBI) ($1500/$1700) with considering you still need a harness (400$ at most) , throttle body (400$ ish. Can find them less ) cam or crank sensor ( $50 at most), modify distributor (you could do that yourself), injectors (quality 60lb run $400), and I'm assuming you already have a coil (60$ blaster2) and MSD box ($270 for 6AL) .
That's $3k at high end.  $3350 if need coil and box.  And 3700$ if you don't want to hack up your distributor. Maybe 400$ more at high end to have shop weld in the FI bungs on the intake.

Shopping around and using a local tuner/FAST dealer you could certainly do better.  For the FAST 2.0 XFI fully tunable (multiport) set up.  Can't beat it 

I know 3000-4000$ is nothing to sneeze at.  But if someone is looking at FI ... your in for over $2k to begin. Go all the way and do it right.  The TBI stuff is ok. Not knocking it. But it's still an electric carb. If you really want the advantages of FI, you gotta go  MP.

My wife has the XFI Sportsman on her '57 Bel Aire. We've got the 2.0 on our Barracuda strip/street. It's heaven. 

Good luck with rest of the build!  Very interested in that block.  Down the road ... thinking of 340 twin turbo build for another Mopar.

mopar thunder

Marc70challenger - I  (unfortunately)  have gone thru this once already prior to this build. And I mean like 5 months prior to the start of this one.  It turned out the first block was over bored and no good for my application. I'm running a Pro Charger F1R so I have a CSU Blow Thru with an MSD Distributor and a Digital 7 Plus box for programming. I would love to go FI but $$$$. I got a quote from Holley and it was $3700 for the basic system for my power level and then $1700 in upgrades. After dropping enough on the first build I was funneled to use the same system.  I looked into a twin turbo system but didn't want to have to cut the middle support up front to fit  the system. Maybe next one.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Marc70challenger

Quote from: mopar thunder on March 04, 2018, 06:19:29 PM
Marc70challenger - I  (unfortunately)  have gone thru this once already prior to this build. And I mean like 5 months prior to the start of this one.  It turned out the first block was over bored and no good for my application. I'm running a Pro Charger F1R so I have a CSU Blow Thru with an MSD Distributor and a Digital 7 Plus box for programming. I would love to go FI but $$$$. I got a quote from Holley and it was $3700 for the basic system for my power level and then $1700 in upgrades. After dropping enough on the first build I was funneled to use the same system.  I looked into a twin turbo system but didn't want to have to cut the middle support up front to fit  the system. Maybe next one.

Ah. Totally understand. Can't wait to see this when your done!  Gonna be awesome.  :twothumbsup:

mopar thunder

RUNCHARGER - they are Callies Ultra I beam rods 6.250

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Killer engine !
you should be able to piece together a good multiport EFI system for around $4500

mopar thunder

Chryco - I definitely will be doing that next. The CSU worked great for the few times I had it out but I do want to go FI..... That's next.

mopar thunder

Next update.......  cam in and degreed. Unfortunately the cam plate doesn't work so had to order another one. Heads are going on this week.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

mopar thunder

Update: The heads didn't get on last week but the oil pan and its issue were completed and installed along with the timing cover. Has anyone seen a cover like this before?

RUNCHARGER

Nope: Boy I don't think any lifter bores will crack out of that cam tunnel ever.
Sheldon

Brads70

That sure is one beast of a block!  :bravo:  I assume that timing cover is for an electric water pump?