Main Menu

Hopefully this time it will continue...... engine rebuild

Started by mopar thunder, January 18, 2018, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 11, 2018, 09:15:02 PM
Does it have proper clearance at least ? :thinking:
Yes, the clearance is good. So that is fixed. HOWEVER....... we had to modify the cam step washer (not a great pic). Not a big deal but it's always something. It doesn't help either when you order parts and they come in semi complete.  Ordered the lifters and 3 pair were wrong.....  I think I'll have a drink or two this weekend. 

mopar thunder

Funny, I looked back at the first post in this thread and I was hoping to pick it up in April......... that's not happening. Now my guess is June/July??????? Not that I am happy about it but it could work out to where I can go to the shore when it is complete.

Chryco Psycho

Huge learning curve , should be worth it when you get through all of the hurdles  :cooldance:

mopar thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 18, 2018, 06:08:41 AM
Huge learning curve , should be worth it when you get through all of the hurdles  :cooldance:

Yes, you are correct. I think it will be also. It is one monster of a block and I'm going with good components so I have high hopes. Murphys law has been all over this one... :looney:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

mopar thunder

OK, opinion time. I thought I would just see what the preference is out there. I know it is hard to see exactly what the engine looks like with all the components actually in the engine bay but which, if you were going to do it, color coating would you use for this scenario? Black or smoked gray? Or would you keep it natural? Neither one is my engine just an option out there. Now take into consideration I have polished valve covers, a polished carb hat, polished brackets for the Pro Charger and a polished head unit, but I also have a few little black items around the engine bay also. If I did go for a coating I am leaning towards the smoked gray.

303 Mopar

Chryco Psycho

mopar thunder

Not sure if I should keep the block black or not. I know the Chrysler small block should be blue but I don't think that would work in the In-Violet engine bay and this is far from stock or original.

Chryco Psycho

I cannot help you with that choice , Chrysler used black for a long time & it will run cooler , but it is hard to see any leaks  :alan2cents:

mopar thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 25, 2018, 09:52:08 PM
I cannot help you with that choice , Chrysler used black for a long time & it will run cooler , but it is hard to see any leaks  :alan2cents:

Good point about the leaks. But after comparing, viewing other engines, etc. I am going to stay with black and get the intake done to match (as close as possible) the heads and other components. Guess my project is at a stand still this week. The guys left yesterday to go down to Memphis. Apparently they are filming Friday night and were invited to watch a second taping of a bunch from New York on Saturday night. So after that, the long drive back, I'm guessing maybe mid next week it will be picked up.   :fingerscrossed:

mopar thunder

OK.... the learning curve continues.... after putting the short block together we found out that this block, although it is a monster and will be hard to break, comes very raw.  I matched up the head gasket to the block and noticed metal under some water ports. Well after calling Kent Ritter he says he makes it that way so people have choices.  Ok I get that but I suggested to him that he put together a sheet with some suggestions for builders when they purchase. Just a minor thing but it is another stumbling block. Have to drill out the holes on either side of the center bolt and one up top.   :banana: having more fun. But seem to be 1-2 steps away from just bolting the rest on.

RUNCHARGER

Yes, that sounds pretty close. I remember having to get the drivers side oil galley drilled on an MP Hemi block, there is always something.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

@mopar thunder
A lot of factory engines block or semi block the holes through the head gaskets , forcing all of the flow right  to the rear of the head before circulating back into the block for example , if the water can take a short cut it may not flow to the rear of the head & over heat right at the back .
Think this through fully before you modify the block , . the big Mopar engine for example have a la pair of large cooling ports in the block but the head gasket has only a tiny slit for some water to pass through
My  :alan2cents:

mopar thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 12, 2018, 07:03:40 PM
@mopar thunder
A lot of factory engines block or semi block the holes through the head gaskets , forcing all of the flow right  to the rear of the head before circulating back into the block for example , if the water can take a short cut it may not flow to the rear of the head & over heat right at the back .
Think this through fully before you modify the block , . the big Mopar engine for example have a la pair of large cooling ports in the block but the head gasket has only a tiny slit for some water to pass through
My  :alan2cents:

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the information. I passed it along to the builder so he could see what you said and we will discuss it.