Main Menu

Hopefully this time it will continue...... engine rebuild

Started by mopar thunder, January 18, 2018, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Quote from: Brads70 on March 19, 2018, 02:23:13 PM
That sure is one beast of a block!  :bravo:  I assume that timing cover is for an electric water pump?

I asked the same thing when I saw it because I thought for sure I was going to have to go buy one now but I was told both will fit.

mopar thunder

Found out the end of last week that the timing cover isn't as deep as the one on the engine before so now they have to make a spacer. The impeller blades hit.  So I am also anticipating belt pulley issues down the road.  Heads are still not on.

Chryco Psycho

That is really poor planning , I wonder what pump they thought you should use on there ?

RUNCHARGER

Dang: I hate it when the simple things don't work out easily.
Sheldon

mopar thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 26, 2018, 05:25:59 AM
That is really poor planning , I wonder what pump they thought you should use on there ?

I'm not sure what the thinking was. Unless as Brad said maybe that cover was specially built for an electric pump. I am looking into that now. The block is designed for racing and to use it for street applications to takes a little modifying. I'm trying to contact Kent Ritter today to discuss it.

mopar thunder

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 26, 2018, 08:12:53 AM
Dang: I hate it when the simple things don't work out easily.

I agree, you work on making the difficult things all work together then you run across a simple thing that will give you a headache. The goal was to have the heads on the engine by February..... well it is now almost April.   :crying:

RUNCHARGER

It will be worth it though. That is an artful piece.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

is there enough thickness to mill the cover of the impellor to fit ?

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 26, 2018, 01:15:19 PM
is there enough thickness to mill the cover of the impellor to fit ?

That was my first thought as well?  :popcorn:

Shane Kelley

:popcorn:  Killer build.  Curious to see the outcome of the timing cover issue.

mopar thunder

Well, it looks like I am going to go with an electric water pump. I think if I fab the mechanical one I will run into more fabrication issues down the road, belt pulley line up, twice the area to seal if I go with a spacer, etc. An electrical one will bolt right on, there will be no pulley issues and I will free up a tiny bit of HP. Mezeire seems to be one of the better ones so I am looking at them. Does anyone know the exact diameter of the lower radiator hose for a small block?  I'm guessing 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inch. I just want this build to move forward w/o any more delays.

Shane Kelley

I really wanted to build a killer block 340. I had looked at the MP R3 block. Everywhere I looked it pointed to lots of machine work and one off specialty parts. I just didn't want to try and slay that dragon. If I was a machinist or trusted a local one. Maybe.  But neither apply for me.  But I do admire people like you that take on the challenge.  :twothumbsup: 

Chryco Psycho

I would use Mezeire , you will not gain any HP , you will lose at the alternator what you gain at the water pump
the Mezeire should have different adapters so I would just match the size of the lower rad inlet diameter

mopar thunder

Well I ordered a Mezeire and it came in damaged...  :steamingmad: It was a polished unit and the bolts were not in a bag and they left thread marks all over the unit.   :huh: I had to send it back and they are sending a new one. Should be in Wednesday. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that after this it will continue w/o a hitch. Really not much more after this except bolting on items and setting clearances. Then off to the dyno. Unfortunately the shop I am using (for install) have negotiated a challenge with Memphis Street Outlaws (J.J. Da Boss) and are heading down for filming April 27. Which is OK because the engine isn't complete yet but then there is a huge car cruise in Ocean City MD in Mid May so they will be swamped with cars going to that. So I am guessing my car won't be ready until sometime in June.

Chryco Psycho