Main Menu

Is slapstick a lie?

Started by kawahonda, August 31, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Honestly, I've never studied how they work.... I've owned allot of them & they just work.... 

kawahonda

Haha!

Does anyone have one of these on the shelf that they can take a picture of so we can compare?

I wish mine worked. I down shift a lot and I have to fiddle with the button.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

The only other thing I can think of is if this spring is not stock and is too stiff...

Doubtful, and I'm grasping at straws.

Swamp Donkey

I don't even own a slapstick equiped car, but am fascinated to see how this turns out!
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Brads70

Quote from: kawahonda on August 31, 2018, 08:49:53 PM
Haha!

Does anyone have one of these on the shelf that they can take a picture of so we can compare?

I wish mine worked. I down shift a lot and I have to fiddle with the button.

They only " slap stick" going from 1st to D, yes you will need to fiddle with the button to downshift. That's how they are designed to function.

kawahonda

Yes.  I cannot upshift in slap stick.

I'm at the point where I need to see other shifters...

1 Wild R/T

I've got 4-5 of them in my junk collection but not where I am currently....  I need to go look for some other parts so I'll try to get photo's tomorrow...

Bullitt-

Mine didn't work after sitting 10+ years but some PB Blaster & exercising it a few times things started clicking like they should.... Yours may take a little more persuasion but I"m sure it will work well eventually  :cheers:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cudajason

I wil just add on here, they work as said above, push button fome any gear to down shift, once in 1, slap/ push up one gear and you have the relase presure to go to the next. Push button to go form D to N.

Never really looked at how the worked either, mine just always did.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

I would have to dig one out to take photos. I know one thing for certain if the button is screwed down too far it will affect the slap stick feature and it won't work correctly. Logic indicates pushing the button even a bit would override the gate that stops the shifter.
Sheldon

kawahonda

I look forward to what you guys can find.

I'm curious when the "pin" hits the gate step (on the "plate), how the does it somehow "walk up" it. Does the plate somehow automatically move down to allow it to take step upwards just with a forward motion of the shifter (mechanically, I don't know how this works)?

Or does the "pin" rotate  and "push" it down on it's own? Those are things I need to know in order to figure out what's going on.

Right now, the pin just hits the gate step and it ain't doing nuthin' It's been sprayed with brake cleaner, sprayed with lithium grease. I even greased it up manually with red synthetic grease.

nsmall

I looked everywhere for good photos.  Found nothing.

This is a post of mine from a long time ago.  https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/slap-stick-shifter-loose/3470/

You should be able to "slap" it into 2nd, then again 3rd WITHOUT touching the botton, it should be an easy "slap"

I now wish I had a 4 speed, but whenever I want to play I always use the slap stick option as its more fun.

Chryco Psycho

it should move 1-2 then if you release the pressure it will move 2-3 & lock out N until the button is pushed once pushed it will move back & forth between D & N
adjustment of the linkage is critical , it can take have an hour or so of constant adjustments to get it just right even when the shifter is working perfectly

1 Wild R/T

I've got one sitting here... The plate not only moves up & down but it rocks slightly (close to 3/16" maybe 1/4").... 

First picture shifter pulled back to 2nd position.... Detent plate is in it's natural position....
Second picture shifter pulled back to 2nd position... Detent plate rocked forward.... I used a small screwdriver to rock it so the movement would be apparent.. Normal shifting the movement is hard to spot....

kawahonda

Thanks Wild, that helps. So basically, the plate should move forward about at 1/4". That explains how it works. My plate does not rotate.