Main Menu

Is slapstick a lie?

Started by kawahonda, August 31, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

This pretty much shows how much the plate should rotate.

Second picture shows the plate and the cavity which it is in. You can see that's there's no room for rotation...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Randy,  not sure if your able to accept quick videos but I can text them to you...

Maybe you’ll be willing to part with one of your spare for this one as a core. Chrome shaft is in good shape, no pitting.

This is a mystery.

kawahonda

Notice how the left part of the plate.....mine is different. Yours is exposed, and then hidden when you pry it. Mine is always hidden, which means mine is always making contact on the left side as well as the right side.....I confirmed this by prying and not getting any movement.

Compare my and your photo, the plate is moved ALL the way to the right....you can clearly see this in the images because our plates are making contact on the right side.

The difference is that your plate must be narrower, allowing a sideways rotation when the "pin" hits the plate to allow for rotation. My version has the plate making contact on both sides of the casing, therefor, no sideways rotation. No rotation = No slapstick.

It seems mine was built incorrectly from Chrysler in that my plate is too wide to support any type of lateral rotation to support slapstick.

I wonder if this is some sort of blunder that went through? Maybe it's worth something?  :headbang: :)

Who has a nice shifter mechanism that I can buy! Don't need the knob, button, button spring, or mech spring. Just a working slap-stick with good chrome that works good.

Cuda Cody

@kawahonda  here's a quick video of one of my slap shifts and how it works for me.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/;sa=view;id=708

kawahonda

Cody, I'm jealous! :)

Now that I know the mechanism really well, yours is working very nice! :)

Hopefully people have a bunch of nice spares sitting around!

Cuda Cody

I think I have a bunch of them in a box in the shop.  You're going to make me go look now aren't you. 

kawahonda

Also a tip...maybe you knew it...but based on the mechanism, you can shift from R -> N -> D without using the button. Maybe that tip (you probably around knew it though) may give you an incentive to go look for a nice spare. :)

So every time you back up....just slap it to "D"...won't create any wear.

I'm trying here....:)

1 Wild R/T

And from there bumping it back & forth from drive to neutral as often as you like without touching the button...   But once you push the button & pull it back you get two bumps then it locked into drive..... Tap down once & your back to free movement from drive to neutral...

Really a very well designed shifter.. Far superior to GTO's optional "Dual Gate".....  Just doesn't work with reverse pattern valve bodies....

kawahonda

Maybe a problem with quality control though. :)

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: kawahonda on September 01, 2018, 08:17:22 PM
Maybe a problem with quality control though. :)

Never seen one with a problem before... I'm betting there's something else going on....

Cuda Cody

The ones I've had in my hand have always worked, but some of them need a little lube to make work smooth.  It's a pretty simple design so I'm guessing something else is going on with yours.

kawahonda

You guys are free to work on mine If you don’t think it’s a factory defect...

After 3 hours, I’m done with it.

I know a little about what I’m doing and how it should work. Metal cannot move when there isn’t room for metal to move.

I’m surprised my pictures did not effectively communicate this.

1 Wild R/T

IMO if it is made wrong it wouldn't have worked properly when it was new, if thats the case it would have been replaced under warranty..   

kawahonda

Only if the owner complained!

Maybe I should call FCA and file a claim. LOL.

At any rate, it's time for a new shifter.

1 Wild R/T