Main Menu

Is slapstick a lie?

Started by kawahonda, August 31, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Watch this video. Hopefully this helps explain why I am stumped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtneRq3rnM

:headbang:  :headbang:  :headbang:
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

Your video helps a lot.  I'll need to get one of mine out and play with it to see what is going on.  Have you tried to adjust the ball and button on the top?  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I know I've had mine to tight in the past and it messed with the way it worked.

1 Wild R/T

FWIW there is a mechanism that locks that plate.... I haven't identified what it is, I can see it, I only know the plate locks until you push the button..... Something on your shifter isn't releasing.... I think I'd remove the two rivets on the linkage side.... Once the plate is removed I think you'd find your issue....

kawahonda

Still up for me sending it out to you Randy? Hope you can post on this thread as a follow up.

torredcuda

Does it need to have the linkage hooked up to apply pressure for it to work properly?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

captcolour

I've got no skin in the game, but following out of interest.  Could it be that kawahonda's mechanism is just a regular shifter and not supposed to be a slap stick?  Either factory error upon installation or replaced incorrectly at some point?

In your video  ,  It looks like there is a little notch on that rectangular piece that touches the ratchet could that be holding it up not letting it go past ?

1 Wild R/T

GY3R/T

The riveted cam plate is in the proper position. The leading edge (towards the dash) of your floating cam plate needs a small amount of material removed IF there is no debris in that front pocket.
   I'm sure you have tried to use a pick to clean that pocket first.

It doesn't need linkage hooked up to work properly.  :alan2cents:

kawahonda

No debris in pocket. Metal to metal contact...

kawahonda

In further examination, it appears that it's NOT making contact on the firewall side, so there is room for the plate to rotate. This is a slapstick shifter.

Something is keeping it locked...

Please post some call outs and I can look further. Wild, let me have a go at this to be sure. If I have to take out rivers then it's going to be sent to you!

Deadeye74

I could be way off as I'm trying to go by memory here...but doesnt the threaded rod go all the way down and interact with the floating plate somehow? Maybe the end is bent or worn? To me it looks like the plate is not moving towards the spring side and is stuck forward??  :notsure:

kawahonda

That's correct. There is a rod that has a rubber tip. I believe it's job is to push the plate down when the button is pressed. I don't believe that it interacts with slap stick since the button should be used.

But you are right. My plate is stuck forward is a good way to say it.

kawahonda

Upon further inspection, the metal is indeed touching.

1 Wild, it's boxed up and will be heading your way soon.

GY3R/T