Main Menu

Is slapstick a lie?

Started by kawahonda, August 31, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GY3R/T

Even if the riveted cam plate is slightly in the wrong position(too far rearward), i would not oblong the holes to move the cam forward and re-rivet. slamming gears could move it. I would still dress the leading edge of the floating cam, if no other suprizes appear when disassembled.

kawahonda

It arrived at 1 Wild's location. I'm excited to see WTF is going on.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

If anyone can figure it out I would bet on 1 Wild RT!   :takemymoney: 

Chryco Psycho

Wild will figure it out & maybe get it fixed unless it is terminal

1 Wild R/T

I actually got it in my hands today but to many things around the house needed done to dig into it.... Maybe tomorrow....  It is an exceptionally clean piece so hopefully it won't be a big problem.... 

RUNCHARGER

WTH? On the couch with a bagful of Cheetohs?
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: How did I know you knew that joke...
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 08, 2018, 08:41:33 AM
Ha, ha: How did I know you knew that joke...

everyone knows that joke..... Well guys anyway.... :rofl:

1 Wild R/T

Well after looking at the shifter for a couple days it was apparent the plate wouldn't swivel as it needs to & I couldn't be 100% sure why until some parts were disassembled....  Well I removed the first two rivets & still couldn't be sure so I remove the last two rivets & I can confirm the shifter was made wrong & hasn't worked since day one...... Very odd.... One of the plates is made wrong & without taking a good shifter apart I can't even say which part is wrong.....  Oh well... It's back in the box along with a spare shifter I had.... Not quite as clean but close....  I'll try to get it shipped tomorrow....

I know the car is early but I've driven a pilot car Challenger with a working Slap Stik.... 

I also know of a pilot 440-6 4spd Challenger (JS27V0B1000027) that had no Hurst lettering on the original Pistol Grip....

Cuda Cody

:clapping:   :worship:

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 10, 2018, 03:36:43 PM
Well after looking at the shifter for a couple days it was apparent the plate wouldn't swivel as it needs to & I couldn't be 100% sure why until some parts were disassembled....  Well I removed the first two rivets & still couldn't be sure so I remove the last two rivets & I can confirm the shifter was made wrong & hasn't worked since day one...... Very odd.... One of the plates is made wrong & without taking a good shifter apart I can't even say which part is wrong.....  Oh well... It's back in the box along with a spare shifter I had.... Not quite as clean but close....  I'll try to get it shipped tomorrow....

I know the car is early but I've driven a pilot car Challenger with a working Slap Stik.... 

I also know of a pilot 440-6 4spd Challenger (JS27V0B1000027) that had no Hurst lettering on the original Pistol Grip....

kawahonda

Super awesome, thanks for looking Randy.

Very appreciative of the working slap stick shifter you sent. Thank you. Maybe the original one should stay boxed up for a good discussion piece. :)

I'm glad that I wasn't crazy....I spent hours and hours looking at it and I couldn't figure it out. My best guess is that that "plate" in there is simply too big to rachet...something about it is made wrong from day 1. The previous owner probably babied the car and didn't care to slam through the gears...it was probably left undiscovered until now.

I'm guessing that using slapstick will be extremely fun and quite a necessary improvement.

1 Wild R/T

Either plate could be trimmed slightly & made to work.. I just had a hard time believing it was made wrong but clearly it was..... I agree I looked & looked but till it came apart I couldn't be sure... Your shifter ball is still on the old shifter, I did try raising the button but it made no difference....  When you play with the new shifter you'll see there is an extra detent feel between N/D that your didn't have & the plate that needs to swivel does....

kawahonda

I was wondering that too. Based that there is no swivel-action with my old shifter, I wonder it turn creates more "slop" while it's in any gear. Now that there's a swivel, I would assume there's less space for the pin to move, therefore a more firm "feel" once you are in a gear....

Cool. Sounds like the shifter you included is an upgrade all around...

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]