Main Menu

Is slapstick a lie?

Started by kawahonda, August 31, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Ive enjoyed watching this thread to see what would happen.  Glad to hear there is some closure.

@Bullitt- your pic just cracked me up big time....That was super funny.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chryco Psycho

everyone has made defective parts & that one slipped by QC

RUNCHARGER

Wild is QC! Just late to the party this time.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Got randy's shifter in today and it's nice to experience how it works.

1-2 just with a flick. 2-D with a flick. Nice and tight.

Just soaked it in prep and etch. Had some light storage/shelf rust. Now she's new. I'll grease it up and install it this evening.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

:banana:  That's awesome!!!   :veryexcited:  @1 Wild R/T  is the best!!!  :worship:

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

gzig5

Before you slap that dude in, would it be possible for you to take a video of it working and post it here or email it?  I'm sure others would learn from it, but I am having trouble with mine as well.  It goes from 1st to Neutral without stopping.  I haven't looked at it yet but when I do, a video would be very helpful to understand how the parts are supposed to move relative to one another.

kawahonda

I'll drink a couple beers and re-shoot a youtube video tonight.

The old shifter is apart so I cannot do a direct compare, but it will still be extremely helpful.

kawahonda

Decided to drink flavored vodka instead. Hopefully it's still informational. :)

:needphotos:

BTW, I identified two part numbers that were different compared to my original shifter. Most of them are the same part #.

Enjoy!

1 Wild R/T

The center gate for neutral/drive is nice if you have to much cam & not enough convertor......  Glad you now know it isn't a lie....

captcolour

Great that it got resolved.

Back to my original question, since there are part number differences, could kawahonda's original shifter be just a standard center console shifter and not supposed to be a slap stick?  If the car was supposed to have a slap stick, perhaps the wrong shifter was installed at the factory or later, instead of the shifter made incorrectly?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: captcolour on September 15, 2018, 06:28:08 AM
Great that it got resolved.

Back to my original question, since there are part number differences, could kawahonda's original shifter be just a standard center console shifter and not supposed to be a slap stick?  If the car was supposed to have a slap stick, perhaps the wrong shifter was installed at the factory or later, instead of the shifter made incorrectly?

All A/T floor shift E bodies got a slap stik.....  All the shifters of that style are suppose to be slap stiks....  All the parts to make a slap stik work are present, just one part is made slightly wrong....

chargerdon

I have a 74 challenger with 904 automatic..and console shifter...   BUT ...it does not say slap stick on it, and If i push the button down i can pull it back the entire way to first...and then without the button push it forward but no lock to prevent overshooting to D or neutral. 

Weren't all of the E body console shifters supposed to be a slap stick??     Maybe someone replaced mine?   What was the part number for the Correct slap stick model ?

RUNCHARGER

Later on there were shifters like that in the Cordoba era cars that were not slap stics, however the Cordobas weren't manufactured until 1975.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 15, 2018, 08:38:35 AM
Later on there were shifters like that in the Cordoba era cars that were not slap stics, however the Cordobas weren't manufactured until 1975.

Yup, bolts in & looks right... But it's not..