Main Menu

Modern 5 speed swap

Started by jyotkc, January 19, 2021, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Quote from: jimynick on January 28, 2021, 07:52:09 PM
:popcorn:  Any chance of a wee bit more info on the DIY option? Parts, sources, etc.
Brewer's is a great resource for whole kits or piece parts, both OE or reproduction.  http://www.brewersperformance.com/4speed.php
Passon's book on the A833 is very good and walks you through it.  https://www.passonperformance.com/new/categories/books/product/496-chrysler-a-833-transmissions-%E2%80%94-how-to-rebuild-and-modify
There is a link to an old Chrysler video that really helped me understand how they work  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpSjYcILWp4&feature=emb_logo

jyotkc

Is there a big advantage going 5 speed versus the 833 4 speed?
Im thinking the pieces needed are
833 Trans
Clutch pedal assemble
Linkages
shifter
clutch
flywheel
Am i missing anything?

Cudajason

A quick question, what you are trying to accomplish / are you married to the idea of a manual transmission?

I get the coolness factor of the manual trans, but if your main purpose is having an OD, for cruising / road trips, there are less expenses ways to accomplish that.

I recently installed an A500 OD trans in my cuda, and it is awesome.  I have a total of 200 miles on it and I can already see the benefits of the OD.  Just a thought.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jyotkc

Main reason is i grew up with a manual. To me its just more fun to drive a manual, the feel that you're in total control of the car, not the car in control of you. Also Im having some issues with the shifting on my 727, may need a rebuild. So instead of spending $1500 on a rebuild, i think that money would be better toward a manual, which is what me and my son want.

gzig5

Quote from: jyotkc on January 29, 2021, 07:41:23 AM
833 Trans
Clutch pedal assemble
Linkages
shifter
clutch
flywheel
Am i missing anything?
The overdrive gears in a 5 or 6 speed (or the A833OD) make driving on the highway a lot more comfortable while allowing you to have an aggressive rear gear like 3.55 - 4.10 ratio.  If you have a 2.93 in the pumpkin with a stock motor, it probably doesn't matter.  Many of us are more performance oriented and buzzing the motor at 3000-3500 rpm for a long drive on the highway or even two-lanes, is not my idea of fun.

jyotkc

Yeah, I don't plan on highway driving much. Just burning gas around town. Lead foot, hearing the engine hum.

dodj

Quote from: jyotkc on January 29, 2021, 08:55:02 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on highway driving much. Just burning gas around town. Lead foot, hearing the engine hum.
If that's the goal, don't waste money on a modern 5 speed. The only reason for investing the $$ in a 5/6 speed is so you can have the bottom end performance AND cruise down the hwy.

Myself, I'll stick with the stock A833. If I decide on a longish tour somewhere, I'll swap in the 2.76 gears I have on the shelf.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

HP2

Isn't a Gear Vendors addition around $3k? Turns your 833 into a five speed.

I was going to try doing the 6 speed swap on a budget. Picked up a bellhousing  that bolts a T56 to a small block for a couple hundred bucks. Figured I could find a used T56 for around $1500. What the seller neglected to tell me was this bell was designed for a Ford T56, which are as rare as hens teeth. This, along with the cutting, has me wondering about a GV unit.

anlauto

Quote from: jyotkc on January 29, 2021, 08:55:02 PM

If this is your only goal, I say go with the factory 4 speed and some 3:91 gears  :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Not sure of what you have to work with but I have driven 340 and 383 cars with a stock 4 speed and 3.23 gears and they were a nice setup for the highway. The older engines were pretty flexible and you could build them to work with 4 speeds just fine as opposed to the new Hemi in my 2015 truck that didn't work well with 6 gears.
Sheldon

jyotkc

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll go with the 833 4 speed. I think I can get all the parts for around $1500

jimynick

Quote from: jyotkc on January 29, 2021, 07:41:23 AM
833 Trans
Clutch pedal assemble
Linkages
shifter
clutch
flywheel
Am i missing anything?
Yup; a bell housing, Z bar and pivots, clutch fork, input shaft bushing, clutch rod firewall seal, trans mount, clutch pedal firewall reinforcement, flywheel bolts are a few of the ones that come to mind. Hope that helps.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

jimynick

"Isn't a Gear Vendors addition around $3k? Turns your 833 into a five speed." Actually, the Gear Vendor unit will turn your 4 speed into an 8 speed. I agree with your last post as well. If the car's going to be an in-town playtoy, just go with the 4 speed like you mention. I've had a car with 3:91s in it and they'll usually pass nearly anything, except a gas station, and depending on what size tire you run, count on the engine nearing 4000 @ 65-70 mph. Have fun!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

HP2

In literal terms, yes a Gear Vendors does split gears and create an 8 speed.  However, the shifting and constant engage/disengage aspect of using it as an 8 speed does not seem practical to regular street driving, IMO. No practical experience with this myself. Perhaps on a specific stretch of road you might have better results of using a 3rdOD compared to a straight up 4th, but I'd think that would be more practical for a tow vehicles than a muscle car.

jyotkc

Has anyone put a 545re transmission in their e-body?