Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: Scooter on September 17, 2020, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on September 17, 2020, 08:41:01 AM
. . .

man this is a big project!!!   :Thud: :Thud:

:wrenching:

Your thread celebrated it's 1 year anniversary... last month.... lol.

Stick with it!

:twothumbsup:

yep car has been down more than year, that includes the time it took to find a trans as well.

good year for it to happen, not much happening.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

All the final details are what detail so many projects.
You are almost there...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Cudajason on September 17, 2020, 10:04:41 AM
yep car has been down more than year,

Tell me about it, you're preaching to the choir here.

Cudajason

Little progress today.

Got the new 904 dipstick tube installed and filled the trans with 8 quarts of fluid. Put one quart in the converter already.

From the info I can find looks like I need a couple more quarts.

The driveshaft should be done this week. With any luck I will get it fired up next weekend.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

GoodysGotaCuda

Looking forward to see how this works out for you. I just about have the EFI buttoned up on my Warlock, this Winter I'd like to rebuild the A518 I have for it.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudajason

Woohoo. Picked up the beauty driveshaft from a local driveline place.

Those welds are a thing of beauty!!!

Tomorrow I am picking up some oil for the engine (still has the break in oil from last year) and a few more quarts for trans fluid, then its time to light it up and see if I CAN actually rebuild a transmission.

Then I anticipate I will have to change the driveline angles before going for a spin. 

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 25, 2020, 08:21:05 PM
Nice: That first ride is close.

Yeah. Getting there!

Had a bunch of good luck today. Got oil, filter and the rest of the trans fluid I need.

Planning to get it all done tomorrow.

Cudajason

Well folks,

Spent a few hours in the garage yesterday afternoon and got it all buttoned up.

I will tell you I was as nervous as I have ever been to hit that key. After killing the new cam last year, and having that motor sit for more than a year without being fired, I was worried I would kill the cam again!

Anyway, I filled the float bowl and made sure fuel was coming out of the accelerator pump, took a deep breath and hit the key...the engine fired to life immediately....Thanks again @Chryco Psycho  for working your magic. 

That was met with panic as I had a really good tick...I thought it may be the TQ convertor hitting on something, but when I got out of the car it was clearly coming form the engine....I figure it was a lifter that was not pumped up.  I let it go for a little and it did not get better.

I shut it off and let it sit for a bit, mulling over my future in the car hobby.

I tried it again and it fired right back up and NO TICK!!!  Oh happy dance.   :banana: :banana:

Still up on jack stands I tentatively pulled the shifter into 1...and the wheels started spinning...and they continued spinning up through to drive...so I think the transmission works.

I do have clunk coming from somewhere, I don't think it is internal, but I think the trans is hitting the tunnel somewhere.

I put the car on the ground and checked my driveline angles using the Tremc app...it says I am out of spec.

It looks like the trans is pointing down 2 degrees as measure on the oil pan rail.  If I measure the engine using the oil pan rail, I get 4.5 degrees down.

The pinion as measure on the bottom of the rear end housing measures 3.8 degrees...the angel finder says down, but he pining is physically pointing up.

So, I think I need some help there before I take a drive. Here is a pic of the results of the Tremc app.

Any suggestion on measuring the drivel line angles if I have not done it correctly would be appreciated.

Next steps are to get the car back up in the air and see if I can find our where the clunk is coming from.

RUNCHARGER

Awesome, it sounds like you're checking it correctly.
Sheldon

Cudajason

ok guys...just for those who are following along on this thread...I raised the trans up a 1/4 of an inch last night.  I was having an issue with a clunking sounds as I rolled on the throttle.

The drive line angles are now in spec so I tried it again tonight, and that looks like it did the trick, no clunks or banking sounds.

I will do a more comprehensive write up on the process etc once I have some time behind the wheel.

Jason

JS29

jimynick

LOL, I thought if you turned right at Bishop that you were heading for my house! Glad to see/hear it running well for you Jason and take a bow for persevering through all the trials and tribulations to get there!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on October 14, 2020, 08:45:17 PM
LOL, I thought if you turned right at Bishop that you were heading for my house! Glad to see/hear it running well for you Jason and take a bow for persevering through all the trials and tribulations to get there!  :cheers:

LOL @jimynick, I thought about it, especially once I found out there was no funky noises.

However the car is so filthy, just incase you could not see that in the video, I would be ashamed if anyone actually saw it.

No bow necessary, I knew this would not be an easy task given that I had never torn into a transmission before, and it involved some fabrication (the cross member) etc. etc.  All in all this has been one of the mist rewarding and fun projects I have done.  I learned a lot, got some new tools along the way (can you say WELDER!!!) and hopefully made my car a bit better for long drives, Carlisle 2021 here we come!!!! :fingerscrossed:

Thanks to everyone for the support along the way!