Main Menu

So who's still going to work?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, April 15, 2020, 01:15:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm working from home, which is a new thing. But we are not going anywhere else except the grocery store every two weeks, online pickup at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

Working from home mostly. I am a consulting mechanical engineer 35 years in. 95% of the projects are healthcare and R&D pharmaceutical related. Got letters early on that those projects are essential and they want them now. Have to work even longer hours than before. Still have to go to job sites to survey. Taking all necessary precautions since I am in the high risk group. But need to help keep the world moving. Just don't see how much longer we can continue staying home before the economy is back in the Stone Age.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jimynick

" Just don't see how much longer we can continue staying home before the economy is back in the Stone Age." ain't THAT the truth?! I'm curious where the line is between the possibility of getting a fatal exposure, is compared to when you're bankrupt and/or lose your house or business and the attendant cost in human suffering. It'll be very interesting to check the suicide rates and increase in crime this may cost all of us.
  In Canada, the other day I read a blurb in the paper that in some circumstances, the government is talking about the possibility of a $800,000 fine! I wouldn't want to be one of the people trying to enforce that BS, because at over three quarters of a million bucks, somebody's going to get offed rather than the person be willing-or able- to pay it.
  I've said it before, but it bears repeating again- in Canada in 2018, there were 8,511 Canadians die of influenza; to date, in the midst of the panic, we just reached over a 1,000 and it's grudgingly being discussed that we seem to be at the peak. You do the math. Be safe nonetheless boys and girls!  :console:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

But the thing is @jimynick we're at 1000 because of the efforts to contain it. Where would we be if we had just carried on as normal like we do in the flu season? You can't compare the two because the circumstance are so different.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

7212Mopar

Back in to the stone age because people are not allow to be productive, loosing faith in the $ because Fed keep printing in trillions after trillions that no way can be substantiated. Printing one way can only go so far. People will eventually be exchanging goods and services instead of $ transactions. Not meant to be funny.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

To elaborate the company I work for's bad ass capabilities. Here is an excerpt from an internal announcement.
Names and details redacted for obvious reasons...

Xxxxxx platform uses a tetherless, wearable single-ptient-use ... sensor to monitor a patient's blood oxygen saturation and pulse rate, as well as respiration rate, perfusion index, and PVI. Is designed to help manage the surge in Covid-19 patients while maintaining distance from other patients and providers, allowing hospitals to expand patient remote monitoring into alternative care spaces, including overflow locations, emergency recovery facilities, skilled nursing facilities and home care settings.

... solution combines clinically proven ... ... measure thru motion and low perfusion pulse oximeter with a cloud based remote data capture and surveillance platform directly accessible thru smart phones and accessories.

Right products at the absolute right time.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: jimynick on April 16, 2020, 12:48:40 PM
  I've said it before, but it bears repeating again- in Canada in 2018, there were 8,511 Canadians die of influenza
Nope.
Give me a reference from a reputable source. A bad flu season in Canada sees 1500 deaths. Normally about a thousand. In the states it's normally in the 20000 range.
I have looked for research to support your assertions but have found none.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: dodj on April 16, 2020, 05:46:05 PM
  I've said it before, but it bears repeating again- in Canada in 2018, there were 8,511 Canadians die of influenza
Nope.
Give me a reference from a reputable source. A bad flu season in Canada sees 1500 deaths. Normally about a thousand. In the states it's normally in the 20000 range.
US is actually only about 1500 also. Well thats what the CDC death statistics show for many many years until 2017/18. The stats show around  1000 deaths due to influenza and then 40000ish due to pneumonia. 2 separate line items.
Pharma always quoted "flu kills over 40000 a year*".  The * would say "flu and pneumonia combined" in tiny print on the bottom. this was to promote flu shots of course.

Well in 2017/ 2018 the CDC now combines the stats in the report to say " flu and pneumonia deaths" .  Wtf? Why? For at 15 years prior they seperated the numbers. Now that dont? Only 1 person benefits from this. Pharmaceutical companies. Because who is gonna buy flu shots if it only kills 1000 people a year?  The stats would suggest you should get a pneumonia vaccine. But since it works so well and it is only needed once every 7 or 8 years....where the profit in promoting that ? 

Cdc stats are very easy to find online

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ClarkWGrizwald

Random year 2014 and then 2017 when stats were combined .

jimynick

Nope.
Give Global News a call and let them know they're all wrong and that I made it all up.
"The flu
Influenza and pneumonia killed 8,511 people in 2018, per Statistics Canada figures. When you narrow the scope to just the common flu, the death toll is around 1,000 per year, says Rosenthal. Once he crunches the numbers, he says this: the odds of a random Canadian dying from the common flu this year is about one in 300,000."
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

dodj

Quote from: jimynick on April 16, 2020, 07:15:48 PM
Nope.
Give Global News a call and let them know they're all wrong and that I made it all up.
"The flu
Influenza and pneumonia killed 8,511 people in 2018, per Statistics Canada figures. When you narrow the scope to just the common flu, the death toll is around 1,000 per year, says Rosenthal. Once he crunches the numbers, he says this: the odds of a random Canadian dying from the common flu this year is about one in 300,000."
OK, so the flu about 1000. About what I found. Not over 8000.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I think if one person dies from Covid-19, it's one too many.

In 47 days 34,562 people have died from Covid-19 in the USA.....and in the last 38 days Canada has recorded 1195 Covid-19 deaths.... :andyangel:

If you guys are cool with those numbers, that's okay, just go about your daily life.....and just stay six feet away from me. :stop:

You can deny it all you want, but this is the worst thing, out of our control, to hit this world in our lifetime, and it's only going to get worse. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ClarkWGrizwald

The CDC sent a memo to all physicians instructing them to list the cause of death as covid 19 for ALL cases that could have any remote chance of having covid or being in previous contact with anyone who had it or being in a hospital etc etc.....despite the fact that they may not have actually had it all! Have a heart attack in a nursing home where someone else had covid but you didnt? Cause of death is supposed to be listed as covid 19.  Why would the CDC direct them to do that? As a result, the data is flawed. No way you'll know exactly how many covid deaths there really are or were. 
Sure even 1 death sucks but people have been dying of pneumonia alone at a much higher rate every single year. Are we shutting the world down for that? Why not?  Serious question .  or many other things like cancer cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Many questions that will never be answered.

JH27N0B

How did the "Quarantine or Not" thread responses migrate over to the "so who's still going to work" thread anyway?  :notsure: :looney: :headbang: