Main Menu

Ignition key will not come out of ignition switch

Started by IRON MAN, July 26, 2018, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rockboyz

When I pull out on the "lock" gear, I can pull the shaft out of the coupler. Its pushed in right now, where it should be. Watching your videos I don't see where there would be another clip holding the shaft from moving in and out of the couple. When it was all together and I pulled on the steering wheel, the crash can came away from the bottom column. So everything was tight on the shaft up top.

anlauto

With everything back together, and you pull on the steering wheel.....it can move, but certainly NOT a half of an inch....maybe an eighth of an inch....maybe...and it shouldn't even be able to move that easily... :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 20, 2018, 08:00:21 AM
Yes, there is a clip in the column.  You might need to take it apart and see what is going on?

So if you pull the steering wheel towards yourself while seated in the seat the steering wheel comes towards you?  :huh:  Can you take a photo?

Well, looks like I have more work to do also. In and out play photos when seated in the seat . Guess it's time to view @Cuda Cody the steering column videos you made .

1 Wild R/T

There should be a snap ring above the bearing & below the bearing....  The bearing is trapped between the housing & the retainer so there shouldn't be any movement of the steering wheel..... The column is designed to collapse to absorb any movement of the steering box/frame rail in the event of a crash....

And the travel in the coupler is to allow for minor angularity changes...

Thanks @1 Wild R/T , might be good time to pull it all and send the box out to Firm Feel for a stage 3.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread , just saw Cuda Cody asked about a photo showing the play in the column and thought my bad would give an idea of bad.