Main Menu

Vintage Air Question

Started by gzig5, May 15, 2018, 12:11:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

This may not be a tough sell for she who keeps the budget, she likes to drive in comfort...
I'm thinking about adding an AC system for my 73 Cuda which did not come with it originally.  Does the Vintage Air system completely replace the under dash heater box assembly or does it need to work with it somehow?  My heater core tubes were hacked off at the firewall so if it replaces the OEM stuff, it will save me some work/expense and becomes even more desirable.

shawge

I have a Classic Auto Air in my non-AC Challenger. Theirs and Vintage Air's system replaces the heater box, uses the driver side air box for fresh air, and blocks off the passenger vent.

https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/571074-EDZ.pdf

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Timbbuc2

They are very good to help. Tell them what you have and what you want and they will set you up.
Get in, I'll drive

GoodysGotaCuda

You don't need anything from the original system to install the non-factory ac kit.

I have vintage air in my non-a/c Cuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RzeroB

From what I have seen you don't have to modify the firewall either. The heater core lines still go through their original holes but the AC lines go through the stock blower-motor hole.  :bigthumb:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 15, 2018, 01:40:08 PM
You don't need anything from the original system to install the non-factory ac kit.

I have vintage air in my non-a/c Cuda.

Quote from: RzeroB on May 15, 2018, 02:17:01 PM
From what I have seen you don't have to modify the firewall either. The heater core lines still go through their original holes but the AC lines go through the stock blower-motor hole.  :bigthumb:

What they said, I have it also!  :iagree:

CudaMoparRay

Some pics for you.

gzig5

Great, thanks for the pics.  When it comes time to do the dash, I think this is going to happen.

scf100

how about pictures of vintage air compressor.......new brackets?

thinking of switching my stock compressor....
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

chargerdon

I have Vinatage Air in my 74 Challenger factory original AC car.   It went in easily and beautifully.  It replaces the heater box, uses the original in dash air outlets and is all electronic..  i.e no cables to the heater hoses.   It also has a heater/air control panel that replaces the factory perfectly.   Its has variable fan control and heater/cooled air blend. 

Only complaint, I have, is that it has you block off the original fresh air inlet, and is basically in max air (recirculate the interior) mode.   I don't like this as if i want to drive with windows up (for highway speeds i don't like buffeting air) on a cool day, i still have to run the AC or it gets too warm inside since there is no outside air coming in.     

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: chargerdon on May 16, 2018, 07:15:20 AM
I have Vinatage Air in my 74 Challenger factory original AC car.   It went in easily and beautifully.  It replaces the heater box, uses the original in dash air outlets and is all electronic..  i.e no cables to the heater hoses.   It also has a heater/air control panel that replaces the factory perfectly.   Its has variable fan control and heater/cooled air blend. 

Only complaint, I have, is that it has you block off the original fresh air inlet, and is basically in max air (recirculate the interior) mode.   I don't like this as if i want to drive with windows up (for highway speeds i don't like buffeting air) on a cool day, i still have to run the AC or it gets too warm inside since there is no outside air coming in.   

You at least left the drivers side fresh air vent, right? I use that on mine to manage recirc.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

chargerdon

Mine is a 74 with factory air, and the fresh air system was to open the right side air inlet using the heat/air controls which then sent the air thru the dash vents.      I certainly didn't remove or block anything on the drivers side...   So, unless i'm missing something there is no drivers side vent.

1 Wild R/T

A/C cars don't have a drivers side fresh air vent...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 16, 2018, 09:46:36 AM

Well that sucks. I assume there are no provisions in the cowl to retrofit it?

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 16, 2018, 09:56:43 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 16, 2018, 09:46:36 AM

Well that sucks. I assume there are no provisions in the cowl to retrofit it?

Nope... One of many reason why I recommend if you have an A/C car you keep the stock stuff under the dash & just replace the compressor with a Sanden & add a relay or two to the blower so it actually gets enough amperage to move some air...