Main Menu

MATCHING NUMBERS Cuda

Started by Manuel, May 17, 2020, 03:58:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Manuel

Did find the papers that show it paid duties here in Guatemala when it came to the dealer.

Surprised, I bought it until may 1975, so in 4 years the owner of the dealership had only put some 2000-2500 km on it!  Paid $6,500.00 for it.
Still smelled new. Thought I had bought it in 1974, the year I started with the airlines.

I am a pilot, flew day and night almost all of my life, airlines 43 years but had other part time flying jobs.  (38,000 hours so far)
Used the car some 6 years and then pretty much stored it an used it only once in a while.

Decided to re paint it maybe 25 years ago?   
Went to Mercedes, they did a very nice job but I noticed some very tiny bubbles in a very small area.    Guy said, we will remove all paint and re do.
So they did.
Some years later I saw them again!!!
Still that way, hard to see them and just few places but thinking about repainting it again.

71gogreen

Funny, Heat delete and no Air conditioning! :wave:

benlavigne

Quote from: cuda hunter on May 20, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
So third line second character is an I.   
Not sure what that means.  Can someone else who's watching chime in with that info.

In that spot was either U for USA, C for Canada, or I for International order

Ben

Manuel

Ah! Ok Hunter, I will take a Pic of the Oval tag and send it.
Its left side section has faded out.

Will also check what the cut out on the inspector tag is.

Have learned more of my Cuda in this 2-3 days than in the previous 45 years!

Thanks!    :thankyou:

Manuel

Maybe he did not order air conditioning because we are at 5000 feet elevation and it is quite fresh but no, he should have ordered it. It is needed in the summer.

Hey!, thanks for the I decoding!

Manuel

Its a D, what does that mean?

cuda hunter

Inspection tags are a bit of  a mystery.  I've yet to find any info on the stamps and impressions.

I suspect those are specific inspectors marks.  When something was inspected on the line a very specific person would put their personal stamp on it.  Something like Mark in day shift uses the D cut out while john in night shift uses the 19 stamp etc. etc.

I like to see them and try to keep them in the public eye as hopefully someday someone will have some info on each of those.

Probably don't mean much, but it adds a personal character to each car.  My 71 has an square inspection tag.  it has a 2C stamp
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Manuel

Great!

Here the oval tag.
Interesting, some parts in spanish. 

Manuel

Good morning,

Big Tks to everyone here specially so to Hunter and Anlauto.
Incredible help, knowledge and passion for cars here.

This Cuda papers will include some of your posts for sure.

Have a nice week end!

cuda hunter

Glad to help.  I've really enjoyed learning about your export car.  Very possible it is the only car of it's sort to be exported to your country. 

Some export cars had the fender tags removed.  So it's nice to see that your country left the fender tag and inspection tags in tact. 

I look forward to seeing the things you do to update your car!   Thanks again!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

soundcontrol

Welcome from Sweden   :sweden:
What a great car, and story, impressed!

Manuel

Hello you All,

Back here to the expertise.

I will have to repaint the car due to some boubles on the exterior but will do everithing including engine.  Allready out.

Any of you know how to find the paint code for the engine?
Is it on the fender tag?  Could not find it in the production broadcast.

What kind of paint do you all recomend?

Brgds

Brads70

Hello from Canada, and Welcome! Great car you have! It's so surprising where these cars turn up! You have taken excellent care of it throughout the years!  :bravo:
Curious as to what those 2 tabs -switches? are/do below the radio?

Manuel

Tks Brads,

Good catch, had some extra front lights.   

Fog lights still there, I will take them off most likelly so switches will be gone.    :dunno: