Main Menu

For Sale 70 RT U Code FJ5 Thoughts

Started by Ebbs, February 28, 2018, 07:12:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Good choice I think. You should be able to get an even better one for that money. I understand the seller though, In this market it feels like they will keep going up forever so it's hard to pinpoint a value. There just isn't enough right with that one to justify more $$$ IMO.
Sheldon

anlauto

I did a search on Cars - on - line for 1970 Challengers, then set the price range for $30K - $35K .....doesn't seem like a lot to choose from in that price range. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

How did he respond to the offer?  Was it like, NO WAY not even close.  Or was he like, well,... I need a bit more?  What do you think it takes to buy it?

Quote from: Ebbs on March 04, 2018, 12:00:33 PM
My offer of $33k was not accepted..I will keep looking

Thanks for the help in diagnosing this car

Regards
Brad

Ebbs

Cody
He is asking $40k and said an overseas guy has offered full price...he said he would let go at $38k, but that seems a bit to high for this car

We will see, could be a sales tactic

Brad

nsmall

Easy for me to say, but there will always be another one.  Try carsonline.com.  Try local craiglist sites.  They are out there.  He is probably trying to get his money back out of the car which is understandable. 

6bblgt

how far apart are you, what's the asking price?

Ebbs

About $5k apart

Any board members looking to sell... I'm in the market for a correct driver quality car... max budget I would say is $40k

Brad

71GranCoupe

I like the car. Yes it does have a couple issues, but most will unless it was just recently finished. It does have a few options that are sought after.
1) Air Conditioning-- This is an option many want and others don't. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it 
2) AM 8 Track, not many original cars came with this option, probably worth a grand+   
3) Power Windows, you don't see this option very often and just a week or so ago, we seen a set go for almost $2500.

I bet the guy would take a little less than his 38k, but not much less. Maybe 35/36, might be a tough negotiation, but you never know until you try.

The car does look solid and you are doing the right thing by looking at it in person.

As far as having an overseas buyer may or may not be a tactic. Two years ago I was helping a potential buyer from the east coast on 71 GTX that was meticulous. Seller was asking 40k and was able to get him down to 38k. Buyer was uncertain and wanted to think about it, even after I assured him the seller had close to 50k into it. He wanted to sell asap to buy a different car and was willing to take a loss. Next morning I get a call from the buyer and the car was sold a few hours after I left. It was sold to a buyer from Japan.

You can pass on this one and may not see another one that peaks your interest for some time  or you could buy this one and then find several that appear better.

Good luck on your search for the right car.   :cheers:

autoxcuda

Shouldn't that 70 440 HP 4-bbl K-member have a skid plate?

I thought E and B body 70 440 4bbl HP cars for the 6 quart oil pan. Also got "six pack" rods and thicker balancer??   :help:
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

6bblgt

yes, 1970 "U"-code 440HP 4bbl should have the skid plate on the K-frame and big pan, balancer & rods in the original engine

P31 (power windows) should also be on the fender tag :thinking:
mistakes happen & things change over 45+ years, but there should be evidence to support the changes 

anlauto

So what's the opinion of this car's value that the original poster is talking about ?

His offer of $33K was turned down, is it worth the $38K the seller said he would take ?

That's still within the original poster's $40K budget  :dunno:

Is there comparable or better cars out there for $33K ?

Ebbs

While my budget is $40K for the right car...What I'm trying to figure out if this particular car is worth the $38K that it will take to buy it.  I have a follow-up call with the seller in a few hours. I guess we will see.

Brad

303 Mopar

Quote from: Ebbs on March 05, 2018, 05:38:50 AM
While my budget is $40K for the right car...What I'm trying to figure out if this particular car is worth the $38K that it will take to buy it.  I have a follow-up call with the seller in a few hours. I guess we will see.

Brad

It has some nice options, but does it need anything to drive and stop the car safely?  If so, that would be my negotiation points.

xx88man

I am also considering a car under $40k......not a whole lot to choose from.
Keep yer foot in it