Main Menu

Changing front wheel bearings

Started by soundcontrol, August 10, 2020, 03:18:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Gonna change the front wheel bearings on my Barracuda, since one is making a slight noise.
Now, the area in between the inner and outer bearing, should that be completely filled with grease?
Big cavity there and fits a lot of grease. 30 years since I changed a wheel bearing and I don't remember.

GoodysGotaCuda

I don't see a need, it won't work it's way into either bearing. Just clean, pack each bearing, install the rear seal and assemble.  :banana:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on August 10, 2020, 04:29:42 AM
I don't see a need, it won't work it's way into either bearing. Just clean, pack each bearing, install the rear seal and assemble.  :banana:

:iagree: :stop:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

It's not filled. Coat interior surfaces with grease. Like about 5mm thick.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

I've always found them lightly coated so I have always done the same. I suppose it would pick up any grit in there and hold it although I don't know where grit would come from.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Just a note. If you look in your factory service manual in the axle and bearing section, it says to fill the grease cavity on both disc and drum brake hubs. Just in case you want to follow factory guidelines. :tool:
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Chryco Psycho

Depends how you drive you car I guess , I have always put a lot of grease in the middle , not full but enough that as it heats up it can flow over into the brgs , this can help in road racing or autocross events where you can put a lot of side load on the brgs .
Have I mentioned I love to corner hard most of the time  :stayinlane:
Nothing more fun than entering a corner with someone on your rear bumper & coming out of the corner with a train length between you or watching some one slide of the road trying to keep up because they chicken out & touch the brakes !! I have passed Porsches in mountain corners in a friggin Mopar mini van Yes I have wide low profile tires on the mini van but still   :rofl:

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on August 10, 2020, 11:18:51 PM
Just a note. If you look in your factory service manual in the axle and bearing section, it says to fill the grease cavity on both disc and drum brake hubs. Just in case you want to follow factory guidelines. :tool:
Not in my '73 manual. It says to coat the cavity, not fill it.  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

I was told long ago not to pack the cavity full to allow for the grease to expand otherwise it would push it's way out..   Makes sense to me still.  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

bc3j

My '70 manual on page 0-22 cautions against overfilling.

YellowThumper

Pack the bearings themselves. Palm trick works well.
Can coat the inner but is not necessary. As previously noted. Expansion and I would guess. Centrifugal force would make a mess of things as it ooses out.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Manual is exactly how I do it. That's probably why I have been doing it that way I would guess.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Don't over fill the cap.That rease is just excess as the grease from inside the hub area would feed through the bearings before it could escape out of the seals or dust cap. That is the reason there is a place for it.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...