Main Menu

70 Go Mango Challenger

Started by cudaragtop, April 21, 2018, 08:06:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaragtop

Spent hours with laquer thinner and rags/scotch brite and MR Clean magic erasers cleaning overspray off of the wire harness, hoses and various straps, clips, screws and bolts in the engine compartment of the Challenger.
Wish people would remove and mask when they decide to spray paint the engine and engine bay.  :headbang:

Modified the heater hose bracket since it was displaced by the aftermarket AC compressor. Found a new spot for it, bent it, stripped it and plastidipped the end with black plastidip.

Ordered some Go Mango paint online in rattle cans to try. Base coat clear coat from TouchupDirect.
Never heard of them but read an article and thought I would give it a try. Hopefully it is a close enough match to finish the engine compartment.

Removed all of the front interior trim pieces to paint them and the dash frame.
Plastic lower dash trim parts, AC vents (Aftermarket), glove box door, kick panels, steering wheel, front seat hinge covers  :notsure: not sure what to call them... Cleaned them all, gave them all a couple coats of Duplicolor FP102 and then a couple coats of Matte Clear. Still need to clear the dash frame and steering column.

Would like to get the interior back together soon so I can put some miles on it.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

cudaragtop

Quote from: 340challconvert on April 22, 2018, 06:38:58 PM
Nice job refurbishing those interior pieces in the go mango color. You don't see many Challengers with the horn ring! Looks cool with it.  8)
Thanks!
It's nice that some of this can be DIY and very satisfying when it turns out not like sh...crap.  :unbelievable:
The horn ring, wheel pad and horn button will all be put back together but will be putting a Tuff wheel on for driving.
The big diameter and hard thin wheel just feels funky.
May put the stock wheel on for shows though...  8) It is a cool seldom seen option.

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Satisfying work, I usually drive them too much and detail too little.
Sheldon

cudaragtop

So I gave PVC cement a try repairing a broken plastic lower dash trim piece.
Cleaned with some PVC cleaner first. Be careful, it melts the plastic which is a good thing, so does the pvc cement.

Cracked piece.

Welded with pvc cement and the excess cement cleaned off with the pvc solvent.

Really happy with the results. Have not given it a stress test... Going to let it cure for at least a day or two.
Still needs clear coat.

cudaragtop

Repaired the broken off screw hole peg on the inside of the console lid.
Used the pvc cement. It's Blue instead of clear because I already had it...
The real test will be if it doesn't twist off when I put it back together. I'll be careful not to over tighten.

anlauto

Quote from: cudaragtop on April 28, 2018, 12:40:40 PM
Repaired the broken off screw hole peg on the inside of the console lid.
Used the pvc cement. It's Blue instead of clear because I already had it...
The real test will be if it doesn't twist off when I put it back together. I'll be careful not to over tighten.

One trick is to heat the screws up before you install them  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

RusTy/SE

It's tough to beat ability combined with patience and the results speak for themselves, looking forward to the first cruise :yes:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

cudaragtop

More masking and painting. The metal part of the Dash painted and then masked again for clear coat.

The challenger script had orange paint all over it from the last dye job. Wanted to get it back to Black.
I used my Sonicare Toothbrush and some thinner. The Sonicare did great.
Masking the script was a pain but didn't know any other way. Actually thought about painting the dash Black so it would be easier to just mask the top of the Script... But it turned out pretty good. the chrome lettering was not perfect to begin with but at least now the sides of the script is black again and not orange.

Done painting the dash pad. Used Herb's on the Pad. A slight difference from the Duplicolor FP102 + Matte Clear on the Metal and Plastic Parts. I don't have a car to compare to but it looks good and a huge improvement.

Need to paint the A Pillar trim and the Headliner Metal trim. They were painted with more of a red than Burnt Orange so might as well take care of them while I have it apart...

cudaragtop

What is it??  I have no idea... :dunno:

Looks something like maybe a resistor or diode broke but what and what was it for???
It is behind where the radio would be.

Anybody recognise this?

Chryco Psycho

Great repair work , you have been busy !!  :bigthumb:
the diode  :thinking:

Husk Challenger

Isn't it the "light buzzer" diode??
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

PlumCrazyRTSE

Yep, looks like a diode and the gray band indicates the cathode side.

anlauto

Man that's a lot of work...why wouldn't you just take the entire dash out of the car first ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration