Main Menu

'70 Hemi Challenger (SS/D and SS/DA car driven by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA)

Started by HemiStan, January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Quote from: HemiStan on January 06, 2018, 10:06:10 AM
Quote from: GY3R/T on January 05, 2018, 07:07:30 PM
Great history !!!   :burnout:    Are we looking at the original block ?  I don't see a VIN. Do you have a pic of top pad and bottom rear flange ?     :wowzers:

This is definitely not the original block.   I am willing to bet that this block came from Dick Landy's shop as an "over the counter" piece.  Even though it has an early 1970 casting date (prior to the build date of this car), it still isnt reallly "correct.  I don't beleive that any '70-'71Hemi cars came with blocks that were cast in '70.  I think they were still using up inventory with '69 castings.  I will get some more pictures of the block next time I am out in the garage.

Stan

In 1970, Hemi blocks castings were used in 1971 Mopars.
Many of the first 71' Hemi's came with an over stamp on the carbs with a M

Here is a quote from Scott Harms to me that he e-mailed to me years ago...

The first  letter "M" = "modified" The second letter "L" is the original assembly date (L=November) 1969 assembly date. 4745S is the correct part# used in 1970 for rear Hemi carbs but this all goes out the window when the "M" was added after the chokes were swapped and the carb was then used as a 1971 application. The automatic choke was removed and the manual choke linkage was added.

So from what I have learned is 70 castings were still being used into 71'.

1971 they were running out of correct date stamped carbs in the early part of the year.
That is why they had the M stamp.

These are what I have on mine.

My block is stamped 2/70.

That being said, I do not believe many 69' castings (if at any at all) were being pushed thru into mid 70' or 71'.

6bblgt

not real sure what carb stamped/restamped date codes have to do with block casting dates,  :dunno:

but most '70 & '71 factory installed HEMI engines I've seen have 1969 casting dates

Topcat

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 06, 2018, 08:30:25 PM
not real sure what carb stamped/restamped date codes have to do with block casting dates,  :dunno:

but most '70 & '71 factory installed HEMI engines I've seen have 1969 casting dates

Production on blocks stopped in 1970...

Willem Weertman wrote, "There had to be ... [a] decision whether or not to continue with that level of engineering work, or we should say 'the Hemi has done its job, let's discontinue it now, we don't want it to ever get a flavor of being a mild-mannered engine.' So, in 1970, we said, 'let's stop production.'"

Was that blocks or was that and/or assembly?

LinceCuda

:welcome: from Tennessee and great to see you got your dream car. I saved and  brought back a 70 R/T Challenger drag about 10 years ago that raced from 1971. Mine didn't have the history your's has though, I like the 2nd day direction you're going with keep us posted  :burnout:

6bblgt

I believe that is in reference to continuing  to offer a factory installed watered down HEMI complying with emission requirements & the engineering cost involved

Chrysler continued to produce & sell stock/replacement type HEMI blocks & components at least until the mid-'70s

Topcat

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 07, 2018, 11:22:33 AM
I believe that is in reference to continuing  to offer a factory installed watered down HEMI complying with emission requirements & the engineering cost involved

Chrysler continued to produce & sell stock/replacement type HEMI blocks & components at least until the mid-'70s

Well if that's the case, then wouldn't it make sense they made them as well in 70'?

Wouldn't make sense they just stopped casting after 69' then re started 1 or 2 years later.

They just left the same casting numbers year after year? Then stamped date on them later?

RUNCHARGER

They weren't selling as many Hemi cars as they hoped. So they had a bunch of blocks cast that they had to use up. That's why there were blocks cast in 68 going into 71 cars. When stock got low they started casting again, that's my guess anyway.
Sheldon

Topcat

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 07, 2018, 03:23:57 PM
They weren't selling as many Hemi cars as they hoped. So they had a bunch of blocks cast that they had to use up. That's why there were blocks cast in 68 going into 71 cars. When stock got low they started casting again, that's my guess anyway.

69' was the best selling year for Hemi's.

More cars had em than any other year. Right?

RUNCHARGER

I'm too lazy to look at the figures but 66 was a popular year as well. No matter, they cast more blocks in 68 than they used in 68, a lot more.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

426 Hemi blocks were cast in large runs for cost efficiency. Just not as many made it to production like 318 , 340 , 440 etc. Remember.... To opt for the 426 Hemi, set you back about half the cost of a new car ! (back then).

wingcarenvy

Hey Stan welcome!

1. I did see your Challenger on Ebay and I really drooled at the possibility of owning it but thought it was over priced so I really never seriously entertained it.

2. I really think its a very unique car with a great history.

3. Day 2 is a great idea, its my personal favorite.

4. I remember seeing your GTX resto on another Mopar site and I have to say that you definitely have the talent to do this car justice

5. Your Super Bee resto was great to watch.

Congrats on buying your dream car buddy, you will not regret it.

mccannix

Glad to see you here Stan...it is a super site !!!
was great seeeing your amazing  66 Hemi last year at Carlisle,  and at the rate you are moving
you'll  likely be stopping around with this Hemi Challenger at Carlisle 2018. :worship:

HemiStan

Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 07, 2018, 07:12:27 PM
Hey Stan welcome!

1. I did see your Challenger on Ebay and I really drooled at the possibility of owning it but thought it was over priced so I really never seriously entertained it.

2. I really think its a very unique car with a great history.

3. Day 2 is a great idea, its my personal favorite.

4. I remember seeing your GTX resto on another Mopar site and I have to say that you definitely have the talent to do this car justice

5. Your Super Bee resto was great to watch.

Congrats on buying your dream car buddy, you will not regret it.

wingcarenvy,

Thanks for the kind words!  I have definitely been busy in the garage for the past few years.....    I really need to take a break!  But I always keep telling myself...   Just one more...

Stan

HemiStan

Quote from: mccannix on January 30, 2018, 06:48:23 AM
Glad to see you here Stan...it is a super site !!!
was great seeeing your amazing  66 Hemi last year at Carlisle,  and at the rate you are moving
you'll  likely be stopping around with this Hemi Challenger at Carlisle 2018. :worship:

Terry,

I have been driving the wheels off of the '66!  My folks came down for Christmas so my Dad and I took the car out just about every day while they were here.  Open headers and slicks on the street.....   We even did a few "John Force" style burnouts for some folks at some traffic lights a few times.  There were a couple of days when I cut our joy rides little short because I knew if we stayed out any longer, I was going to get in trouble.... 

The thought did cross my mind to get the Challenger to Carlisle in primer but I don't think I am going to do that.  I really want this thing shiny and I don't have enough time or money to make that happen before July.  But if I didn't have the '66, I probably would thrash on this car to get it together....

Stan

HemiStan

So, I have been working on these quarters for the past month....  But, I finally got them to where I was happy with them (which was not easy...)  I finished the hours and hours of fitting and welding a few days ago and shot some primer on them yesterday.   I think that I will now put a rear axle under it (temporarily) so I can move it over to the side of the garage.  As you can see, I am very limited on space and I need to take advantage of all of the space I can.   Up next is all of the major body work on the quarter seams, apply seam sealer, and probably block the car once or twice.  I did get a chance to shoot some paint on the K-member yesterday as well.  While my folks were down for Christmas, I took the 18 spline apart, inspected everything, changed out a stop-ring, and put it all back together.  It should be good to go.