Main Menu

And The Journey Begins

Started by SRT392, February 27, 2021, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: SRT392 on November 03, 2023, 07:42:58 AM
Alan,  a notch is easier but the goal here was to do as little permanent modifications as possible....

Didn't you have to remove the front suspension bump stop brackets to install the QA1 front suspension ? What's a little notching after that ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: SRT392 on November 03, 2023, 07:42:58 AM
Alan,  a notch is easier but the goal here was to do as little permanent modifications as possible, so in the future if i find the original eng i can put it back and, it looks cleaner..  Brad,  the 5.7 /6.1 alt when it mounts isn't quite as long as the one that comes with the 392 crate motor. i spent HOURS searching for a pulley from anything that stood out a little more and came up empty. came close and used one to make a prototype from but just didn't like the way it looked. So we made one that looks like something that would have come from the factory. This also allows you to use the same belt that comes with the crate motor.

Could you have made a couple "washers/bushings of sort" and shimmed out the bracket where it bolts to the engine to get the pulley in the correct spot fore/aft?  So the Jeep pulley is a different diameter than the 392 crate engine pulley?  Not criticizing just learning..... :slapme5:

SRT392

Brad,   So no you can't just add some shims as the 5.7 / 6.1 Alt has a fork mounting on the top. It is a very close fit and no space for shims. You would have to put it up on a mill and shave some off and then use shims to space it out on the top and then the bottom would need shims also to keep the mounting and alignment correct. Also milling off the upper rear fork would weaken that area substantially. The pulley for the jeep and 392 are the same diam so no problem there. You need to bring it out to line it up with the belt so that means a longer pulley. If you try to shim the Jeep pulley out then you lose the thread engagement for the Alt shaft and pulley thus leading you back to finding one that works with the right offset or making what you need. So the easiest way to make the change is to use a stock jeep alt that mounts to the 392 and just change the pulley. everything else remains the same including the belt.. the cost of the alternator and the new pulley is still less than the cost of a new alt that comes with the 392.

SRT392

Alan,  yes  i did but i did it very carefully and saved the pieces so going back only requires placing the parts back in place and a quick rosette weld.  Also if you don't do the coil over and just use the QA 1 K frame then you don't have to remove them.

SRT392

so while waiting for paint to be completed I've been finishing assemblies. The Dash is  now compete and just need to wire it all up.           

How do you insert a picture from your computer?   I'll put some up if I can figure it out.

SRT392

IMG_1338.jpgIMG_1338.jpg

SRT392

i think i got it figured out

anlauto

I like the dash emblem, I'm doing something very similar on my current build. Did you make that yourself ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SRT392

Allan.  I did not do these. I worked it thru with Givan MAC at alphawireedm.  It was a little tough for him because of the small size and sharp corners. He finally got the process worked out and it came out great.