Main Menu

Inherited Family Owned 1970 AAR - Limelight Build

Started by FIAARMN, April 23, 2020, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

The windshield doesn't have a rubber gasket. It looks like it is stuck in there right now. Are all the trim clips around the perimeter to hold the trim on?
Sheldon

anlauto

It's an aftermarket windshield and it looks like someone didn't put new clips in place at the same time...that's unfortunate  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Very nice car. Please remember to replace the Fram oil filter and plastic fuel filter before running it. I've never liked the plastic fuel filters as they can fail and cause a catastrophe. The oil filter is another issue. It looks like it has been switched to electronic ignition. More reliable and less headache but an obvious change. Again, very nice car. Enjoy it.
Terry

JS29

Was wondering about the clips my self! The only thing that could make that car any better in my opinion, a rim blow steering wheel. That car is awesome, My complements!  :cheers: 

blown motor

What does the correct master cylinder look like? If it should have a round front then I have one for sale.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Correct master cylinder would be the 'holy grail" 171 master (flat front)  :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

FIAARMN

Thank you all for the wealth of information.   Would it be difficult to swap back to the vacuum set up and carbs, or is it easier (for now) to find a center carb and rebuild the others and set it up the way it is set up now?

I am interested in the process and set up difficulty if I buy a set of 3, vacuum set up carbs?
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

anlauto

The center carb for the set-up you currently have would be different then the factory set-up. The fuel inlet is on the opposite side.
You would need to decide what your end goal is and proceed in that direction. If you want the car to be mostly original some day, then wasting money to get it running with the outboard carbs you have would be wasting money in my opinion.

If your end goal is not to worry about originality, then you can get a center carb that will work with your outboards, get them all rebuilt, make some custom fuel lines and linkage and away you go !

Years ago I did a customers car with a Beatty & Woods built 440 using the same carbs you have now, unfortunately I can't find a picture with the fuel lines and linkage in place but I remember it being a PITA...

RUNCHARGER

It would probably be more difficult to find a mathing Holley 4782 manual secondary carb to match those 2. Easiest would be to just buy the correct vacuum carbs, fuel lines and connector linkage. I did a search for new carbs but it doesn't look like they are available right now. Perhaps contact Holley and see if they are going to do a run of them.
Sheldon

anlauto

You mentioned you still have more parts coming from your Uncle, so maybe the original carbs are still around  :fingerscrossed:

ply64post

Here are some pictures. This is the 171 master cylinder.

1 Wild R/T

FIAARMN

got a pic of the drive side block numbers....

3577130.TA.340,7

Vehicle Serial

BS23J0B297483

I take it I need to find the vin number on the block.... where do I look from here

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Some numbers I found on the trans passenger side and some some more numbers on the passenger side block