Main Menu

Inherited Family Owned 1970 AAR - Limelight Build

Started by FIAARMN, April 23, 2020, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

can someone point me in the right location to crawl under or reach in and find the vin stamp location? I have looked, snapped pic in the blind and can not seem to spot it anyplace.
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

RUNCHARGER

The vin # you are looking for is stamped into that raised pad just above where you photographed the cast in #'s. The Engine VIN # is stamped into a flat machined surface on the bottom of the engine block casting just above the oil pan rail facing the inner fender.
Sheldon

FIAARMN

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 24, 2020, 06:34:35 PM
First go here... https://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/

Then Here...  https://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/

Wow, so informative.... :worship:

The trans vin stamp is just above the number I posted. So I wil get those tomorrow I hope

I have a good idea now about the vin stamp on the block. The cowl and rad support match.
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Warranty card, check.... I think I found the build sheet in the documents, its appears to be folded in the original manual which has had some water/urine dried and the pages are not opening........ stuck so much together that it is so fragile......... can not open it

I am going to open the rear of the front seats and under them to check for a sheet tomorrow

FIAARMN

Great news, the Vin stamp matches the vin, its the original motor!  This applies to the transmission

Found out the original black that had an issue, got a honed cylinders and pistons, put back together and installed back into the car. I was told the person who rebuilt and installed it back in the car is alive and I obtained his phone number. I am going to call and speak to him soon because he also has information on the car paint job and other stuff

I am also going to be able to go over and retrive the boxes of parts today that arrived from the estate...........

anlauto

Quote from: FIAARMN on April 24, 2020, 09:08:53 PM
Warranty card, check.... I think I found the build sheet in the documents, its appears to be folded in the original manual which has had some water/urine dried and the pages are not opening........ stuck so much together that it is so fragile......... can not open it

Try steam from the kettle :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FIAARMN

Quote from: anlauto on April 25, 2020, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: FIAARMN on April 24, 2020, 09:08:53 PM

Try steam from the kettle :alan2cents:

Trying to determine a way, I have been reading about getting them wet again and slowly opening and separating, but that comes with risk. I will look into the steam thing   

JS29

My sister has a steamer she uses for cleaning, That would work well. :idea:

blown motor

Quote from: FIAARMN on April 25, 2020, 12:40:49 PM
Great news, the Vin stamp matches the vin, its the original motor!  This applies to the transmission

Found out the original black that had an issue, got a honed cylinders and pistons, put back together and installed back into the car. I was told the person who rebuilt and installed it back in the car is alive and I obtained his phone number. I am going to call and speak to him soon because he also has information on the car paint job and other stuff

I am also going to be able to go over and retrive the boxes of parts today that arrived from the estate...........

This story just keeps getting better.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

FIAARMN

So, was able to get some of the boxes of parts...... looking through the documents, manuals and reference books for Cuda Challenger T/A & AAR Cuda and Dodge 1970 Service Manual Dart Challenger that he had, mid way in one of the books, I found a broadcast sheet......

Feeking really lucky, I went out to the front seats, removed the backs, nothing, took a mirror looked under the front driver seat, bingo!    Another broadcast sheet!!!!

So, also was a note pad detailing everything with dates from when he bought it, parts and work done to it, notes and information with mileage entries.....

Last entry with a date, was 34,900 miles.

Odometer reads 36,142 miles..... pretty confident I can say this car has these original miles!!!!

Also found notes why the car was painted....... it was parked outside, under a tree that dropped sap and other pollen...... 1/2 the day in the sun.... paint got extremely faded and sap all over, so it was painted, motor removed when done...... door jams done..... maybe the trunk...

Also, a year after it was bought, there was an issue with the motor, it was pulled and another T/A Cuda motor from another AAR was installed and bought from a mechanic at the dealer. After many  years, that motor was removed and and the original was installed back in the car. Original motor was stored in the house as a complete motor, heads, exhaust manifolds and intake. Hard to understand it, but it appears the cylinders where honed, new pistons installed and motor back together and in the car. Motor replaces at 27,000 miles from what I can tell

Build sheet from under the seat is pic #3

RUNCHARGER

Bottom sheet is for your car anyway. I'll bet someone is looking for the top sheet too.
Sheldon

FIAARMN

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 25, 2020, 08:43:32 PM
Bottom sheet is for your car anyway. I'll bet someone is looking for the top sheet too.

I would love to be able to get that build sheet to someone if they have the original car to it

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: FIAARMN on April 25, 2020, 08:48:02 PM

I would love to be able to get that build sheet to someone if they have the original car to it

I just Google searched the VIN, no hits...

FIAARMN

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 25, 2020, 09:22:50 PM
Quote from: FIAARMN on April 25, 2020, 08:48:02 PM

I just Google searched the VIN, no hits...

What kind of car?   I just found out his brother owned a Red T/A

I found this

https://forum.e-bodies.org/e-body-stuff-found-on-ebay-craigslist-or-anywhere-else/20/ta-motor-on-cl-ob298826/11092/