Main Menu

Inherited Family Owned 1970 AAR - Limelight Build

Started by FIAARMN, April 23, 2020, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 27, 2020, 11:52:27 PM
did you mention dealer paperwork?  where was it sold new?

Yes, posted a picture of the warranty card. It was bought new 4/17/1970 at Pigati Chrysler in Vacaville Ca
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 27, 2020, 11:34:49 PM
Take a better picture of the drivers side inner fender... I'd like to see the battery area... Something looks odd to me...

What do you see?

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Quote from: anlauto on April 28, 2020, 04:54:45 AM
Be neat to see if it has original carpet, but I somehow doubt that. The car was restored at some point and if they replaced the headliner, then likely the carpet too...I think if you want the stink out of the car....I would install new carpet too. :alan2cents:

You are probably right, I didn't really pay to close attention tot he carpet, other than a quick shop vac when I took everything out of the car and off the floor boards. Went off the notes from the car and what I was told.... which I have already been told one thing but discovered another with this car

doubt it too

71vert340

Quote from: FIAARMN on April 28, 2020, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 27, 2020, 11:34:49 PM
Take a better picture of the drivers side inner fender... I'd like to see the battery area... Something looks odd to me...

What do you see?
The left inner fender has been replaced as shown by the extra battery hold down bolt hole  on top of the inner fender. 1970-71 Challengers/ Cudas did not have it. They used to J bolts to hold down the battery hold down bracket. Later, the hold down bracket bolted to top of inner fender. An inner fender replaced in the 70s and 80s were given the later inner fender by Mopar. My 71 Challenger was hit twice in the left front fender. This bent the inner fender. I replaced it with another new inner fender from the Dodge dealer. I received and installed the one like you have.
Terry

anlauto

Pretty simple to say the car has been restored at one time in it's life :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FIAARMN

Learning more and more each day.... Thank you all for the continued support!!  :grouphug:

FIAARMN

Quote from: anlauto on April 28, 2020, 05:25:09 PM
Pretty simple to say the car has been restored at one time in it's life :alan2cents:

Painted and parts to replaced worn out parts, yes... restored to some extent, just not show perfection restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on April 28, 2020, 05:25:09 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... But if it bothers you'll I'll be happy to take it off your hands... :rofl: 

On the inner fender, it's not so much the extra bolt hole, it's that bulge in the sheetmetal that doesn't belong.... Whether the inner fender was damaged in a wreck or rusty because of the battery leaking acid for some reason that panel got changed...

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, if at some point you decide to do a full restoration it's an easy fix but it doesn't effect your ability to drive & enjoy the car.... Just anal old guys busting your balls over B/S that doesn't matter.... But it's good to know about since you now know something happened....

71vert340

What 1 Wild R/T said. If later on, the bulge and extra hole on inner fender bothers you, it can be cut and welded to look like an original. Keep in mind that the later inner fenders were all that was available through Mopar until reproduction sheet metal came along much later. It could have been replaced in the 70s/80s like mine was. Enjoy the car for now.
Terry

anlauto

You've got the right plan...get it cleaned up, safe, and running great and drive the wheels off of it ! :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

FWIW it probably got tagged in the front cause as 6bblgt pointed out it also appears to have a 22" radiator support.... Are you sure the numbers stamped in the core support match? If so then the top bar was saved but the side panels got changed...

FIAARMN

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 28, 2020, 06:36:23 PM
FWIW it probably got tagged in the front cause as 6bblgt pointed out it also appears to have a 22" radiator support.... Are you sure the numbers stamped in the core support match? If so then the top bar was saved but the side panels got changed...

I'll check that//// for sure the motor, and trans are true to the vnof the car. I will check that.

I am working on either getting the center carb and sending off for rebuild,or buying holley replacements....

I will be spending dome time on it getting the interior cleaned up, pulling out al the parts (panels, trim) that he had to replace things and start working on it.  Goal is to have it on the road in the next 60 days!

ledphoot

what a cool car. it will be great to see that back on the road..

6bblgt

Quote from: FIAARMN on April 28, 2020, 04:14:27 PM
It was bought new 4/17/1970 at Pigati Chrysler in Vacaville Ca

looks like the "COOL OLD DEALERSHIP" building still stands, but is currently Pawsh Place Veterinary Center & Boutique  & Ken's Appliance Repair Shop  :takealook:

FIAARMN

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 28, 2020, 11:39:00 PM
Quote from: FIAARMN on April 28, 2020, 04:14:27 PM
It was bought new 4/17/1970 at Pigati Chrysler in Vacaville Ca

looks like the "COOL OLD DEALERSHIP" building still stands, but is currently Pawsh Place Veterinary Center & Boutique  & Ken's Appliance Repair Shop  :takealook:

It is actually not too far room my house, when I get it on the road, I will take a picture of the building with the car in the lot!!!!!!