Main Menu

Inherited Family Owned 1970 AAR - Limelight Build

Started by FIAARMN, April 23, 2020, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

I've always built my own with weatherhead fittings and 5/16 line when running that setup. It's a PITA clearing the throttle linkage and aircleaner. Do you have the connecting linkage hooking the center carb to the outboards? Seems to me the last setup I did I used linkage from Edelbrock for a 2X4 setup with some mods.
You're supposed to set them up so it runs on the center carb until about half throttle then they all go to WOT together so the end carbs have to open faster than the center once they start opening.
Sheldon

Jim AAR

I also have the mechanical 6 pack carbs on my AAR, when i bought them in the 80's i also bought the Installation Package from Edelbrock which included the rods for the outboards as well as the Fuel Rail line. I never used the Fuel Rail line as i didn't like the look of the rubber hoses so like Sheldon said I made my own.

I never had the correct Throttle cable bracket or Throttle Return bracket and just purchased some repros so I had to make some new fuel lines recently (At least my 3rd time re-doing them lol). The only real issue i had with building them is that they need to start angling down right away at the fitting to clear the factory air cleaner base plate so you have to have the fitting in place and flared before you start your first bend and then when you start to bend it, it's difficult to keep the flared in flush in the fitting, take a bit of playing around but it works.

These ones came out a little rough, so i will be re-doing them, but at least I have a good template now.

Attached some pics

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Nice job Jim: Take note of the connecting linkage too, that is what Holley supplied me back in 1980 for these carbs. That loop slips back and then hits a stop which pulls the end carbs open.
Sheldon

FIAARMN

You can see I have the same style rail you have in t he 1st picture Jim AAR, Not sure if I will clean and re-install of get a new set up

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

FIAARMN

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 10, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
I've always built my own with weatherhead fittings and 5/16 line when running that setup. It's a PITA clearing the throttle linkage and aircleaner. Do you have the connecting linkage hooking the center carb to the outboards? Seems to me the last setup I did I used linkage from Edelbrock for a 2X4 setup with some mods.
You're supposed to set them up so it runs on the center carb until about half throttle then they all go to WOT together so the end carbs have to open faster than the center once they start opening.

Yes Sir, I have all the linkage and as far as I know will be set up as you mention
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

RUNCHARGER

It looks like you're all set. Dang, you're going to be starting your AAR this weekend and I'm going to be painting the stairwell in my house, this isn't fair!
Sheldon

FIAARMN

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 11, 2020, 06:46:49 AM
It looks like you're all set. Dang, you're going to be starting your AAR this weekend and I'm going to be painting the stairwell in my house, this isn't fair!

The plan is to get it started before Saturday!!!!!!   Should have a couple hours tomorrow to work on it.

On a side note, heard from the builder for the carbs I ordered, will be done in 2-3 weeks... thats a whole new story and a fight I will have to take soon

FIAARMN

Carbs are n, some of the soft fuel lines replaced. Having an issue with getting it primed, any ideas?Tank was emptied, new mechanical pump installed, new rubber lines, now I am having an issue getting fuel to the pump. put about 8 gallons in (great new, fuel gauge working)

I tried a electric pump just before the mechanical pump, no luck.   Next is it wise to use a air hose to pressurize the tank?

The feeder lines and rail are temporary until I order or make something more functional and attractive.

Ideas to getting it to prime?

1 Wild R/T

Did you try blowing through the line from the tank to the pump?   It could be blocked..

Sometimes it's hard to get a prime by grinding away at the starter, pour a little fuel down the carb, the engine should fire off that & the higher RPMs usually will get the fuel pump working... It may take a few tries...

Another method that works well is filling the carb bowls through the vent tubes (blue arrows)... A squirt bottle works well to do that..

Chryco Psycho

You can fill the carbs through the air vents with a tiny funnel

76orangewagon

Why are the fuel lines are on the drivers side like a Chevy tri-power set up ? All mopar 6 BBL intakes use fuel lines on the passenger side. I read you wanted mechanical carbs but if I had to switch everything from the factory set up I think I would have kept Vacuum.     

Jim AAR

No they don't, the Original Vacuum carbs do, but the Mechanical ones do not.

You could only find the Mechanical ones in the 80's when I bought mine. Unless you could find a used set.

anlauto

The original poster was just following the footsteps of his late Uncle  :andyangel: by using mechanical carbs, but I agree, for regular street use, and on a car as rare as an AAR, I think I would have sourced the original style vacuum operated set-up.

Hopefully this set-up will work well for it's intended purpose. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration