Main Menu

My AAR project

Started by 6Pack70, November 06, 2018, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6Pack70

Two big ones...right up front..  be very aware of the rear side markers if you are replacing rear quarters.  Make sure they fit properly.  The repro trunk extensions are from AMD are very nice but when replacing these and the rear quarters, you need to fit your side markers. Do not assume they will just slip in.  It could be too tight of a fit and you can fix this before any paintwork.  Next is to be sure to fit everything to the body before you paint.  Use the bumpers, brackets, grille, headlight bezels, tail lights... everything you are gonna be installing after paint, test fit it before paint.  It's time and effort well spent, especially if you, like me, found that things need some tweeking.  You dont wanna be hogging things out on a freshly painted body that you assumed would fit because its brand new.   New AMD quarters?  Plan on modifying the holes for the quarter window fuzzies. They are not in the right places for a 70 Cuda.  Test fit the fuzzies and put the holes in the right place....before paint. :)    Thank you for the kind words on my project.  :):)

xx88man

Thank you! These are very helpful tips!   :perfect10:
Keep yer foot in it

6Pack70

A couple of my favorite pics.  Jeff hates me taking his picture as you can see him trying to get outta the way lol.   This is the man who was a huge help in getting the sheet metal hung on this car.  He just retired and was kind enough to not only weld all the new metal on at his place but he took the time to teach me a lot.   Not something everyone likes doing.   Yes, the car on the lift is an AAR also.  That's his and it's a 4 speed also.   He's working on it now and I'll be helping him with detail items for it very soon.  I'd love it if we both finish our AARs at the same time. 

6Pack70

Heater Box.  Thanks Jim at J.S. Restorations, for rebuilding and re-plating my original blower motor.  Thanks Cody for the info on getting my original stamps made.   :worship:  There is no clear coat or anything on my heater box plastic.  Just cleaned after disassembly with hot soapy water and Scrubbing Bubbles foaming cleaner with a toothbrush.  Blow dry and polish with Rolite  metal and fiberglass polish with a micro fiber cloth.  That's it.   Nothing trick or super secret. 

6Pack70

Rolite

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

6Pack70

Visited a good friend Mitch a little while back and he asked if I needed bumpers.  Of course I said yes, I have my originals but they need a lot of help.  He said here ya go, take these home with you.  We'll talk price another day.  What a great guy!      I also brought home his 70 Charger R/T grille to restore for him.  Grille is done and I'm delivering this coming weekend.   Couple pics of the new bumpers for my Cuda and his freshly repaired and painted grille assembly.   

6Pack70

My pedal assembly.  Mostly raw steel cleaned in Evaporust, rinsed and dried and then RPM'd.   Some pieces I glass beaded and sprayed them with Slip-Plate.   

6Pack70

While the body is being painted, I figured now is a good time to tackle this sub-assembly.  Lots of broken plastic mounting bosses on the trim bezels, dash pad is toast.... the usual lol   Got everything blown apart a couple days ago to see what I'm working with.  I have the original AM radio and had it repaired and made sure it functions.  New ash tray from Tony's Parts.  I also picked up a few non Rallye gauge clusters for parts if needed.   I actually already had a beautiful new dash pad arrive a while back but it was damaged in shipping.  They literally stepped all over the box and crushed the pad badly at the defroster area.  Boot prints and all on the box.   Sent it back and received a full refund.  It's a shame because other than the damage, it was flawless. 

Chryco Psycho

Lookls great , I did the same thing detailing everything while the body was being painted

6Pack70

The original harness looks very nice except for one little wire for the door jam switch has some of the insulation peeling on it and showing some copper wire.  I'm still considering just biting the bullet and purchasing a new M&H harness.

anlauto

Quote from: 6Pack70 on November 20, 2018, 09:01:41 AM
The original harness looks very nice except for one little wire for the door jam switch has some of the insulation peeling on it and showing some copper wire.  I'm still considering just biting the bullet and purchasing a new M&H harness.

It's what you can't see inside the harness that is scary....the copper is 48 years old remember. New harnesses is just good insurance. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

This is true...my mind is made up.   :bigthumb:

HEMICUDA

Good job Eddie, the website resident expert isn't remotely close to your talents.  You're attention to detail and the amount of work you actually do yourself is in the upper class of restoration with the so called "professional".  We have had extensive conversations on the phone, can't wait to meet you in person, need a job?

6Pack70

Thank you Mike,  that really means alot to me man!  Parts that you personally had your hands on and made flawless for my project,  gives me the inspiration I need sometimes to do many things myself on this Cuda.  I dream about going to work every day in a shop like yours.   I could set my ham sandwitch on the floor while I work lol.