Main Menu

Rebel's Fix Thread

Started by rebelyell, June 04, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Should be easy to see where it's coming from once you get under it.  Hopefully not a rear main seal.   :fingerscrossed:

rebelyell

Definitely motor oil. I added a half quart last night and the puddle appeared this morning.

I hope it's not the rear main. First thing I'm going to do is tighten the oil pan bolts and pray. If it's leaking that much over night, I should be able to see a visible leak.

Cudakiller70

Becareful not to overtighten I think oil pan bolts torque to 16 ft lbs

rebelyell

Finally found a clutch fan that will work. Rockauto had it cheaper than anywhere else. Hayden 2947..the low pro model. Hopefully this helps.

rebelyell

Crawled up under the car today and the oil leak is coming from the middle of the transmission where the shift rods connect to the housing. No idea how oil is getting there.  :notsure:

Got the clutch fan installed today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Seems to be working fine. Now I need to get my oil issues figured out.

soundcontrol

I deleted my previous post, you have a manual right?, not an automatic, I read the thread from the start again. 
But if the oil get that far from the engine it might come from somewhere higher up, like the valve cover or so, my tranny was all oily from a leak in the oil pan gasket though, probably got back there while driving.

RUNCHARGER

Where the speedo cable attaches is a common leak area.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Could be trans oil, do you know how much & what is in the trans ?

rebelyell

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 18, 2017, 04:57:20 PM
Could be trans oil, do you know how much & what is in the trans ?

No, I don't. Doesn't smell like gear oil.

I know two things.
1) The puddle appeared the morning after I put in a half quart of oil. That tells me it's engine oil.
2) I need to replace the intake and valve cover gaskets. I know they are leaking.

It doesn't make sense to me that those gaskets are what's causing the puddle unless the oil is draining to the back of the engine first and out of the busted intake gasket before running down the trans.

Cuda Cody

I find it best to clean everything really well and take it for a drive.  Once it's parked you can put a clean piece of cardboard under it then when it leaks you'll be able to see from where because everything is clean.

rebelyell

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 19, 2017, 10:00:44 AM
I find it best to clean everything really well and take it for a drive.  Once it's parked you can put a clean piece of cardboard under it then when it leaks you'll be able to see from where because everything is clean.

Right. I can analyze it for days behind a keyboard, but this is the only way to really understand what's going on.

rebelyell

Chryco Psycho

If I can help while I am there next week I am happy to  :cool:

rebelyell

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 01, 2017, 08:34:25 PM
If I can help while I am there next week I am happy to  :cool:

:unbelievable:  Wow, that's incredibly generous of you. Thanks for the offer.

If I was in Savannah with my car this week, I might take you up on it. I'm actually in Monroe until the 4th.

Chryco Psycho