Main Menu

Rear valance/bumper relationship question

Started by Mrbill426, August 05, 2022, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Yes I am still fiddling with this...  I got the bumper and valance installed (bumper first) and it just doesn't look right.  Although the the bumper is pretty much parallel to tail panel's bottom it is not so much with the top lip of the valance  :huh:; the "gap" between the bumper and the valance is noticeably wider on the right than the left.  The tail panel is original and has not been moved; the quarter skins (AMD) were replaced below the belt lines.  The contours of the valance do line right up with the contours of the quarters...  Not sure what the heck those rectangular notches on the valance lip are for other than being a sore thumb  :notsure: ... I am thinking maybe the replacement valance is the problem; it is a Goodmark that I bought well over ten years ago...  Experiences or thoughts?

I took it all back apart to start over and am leaving the valance in place for now as it does seem to fit the quarters well.  I am going to try to lower the bumper a bit so would like to know how much "gap" is supposed to be between it and the tail panel.  I may have to "slot" the mounting holes in the (at least left) plastic bumper guard fillers because as you can see the left is at the bottom of the valance's guard opening, while on the right there is a good size gap.  Valance again??  The rear cross member (the bumper mounts to) was replaced  (AMD) but it appears to be installed correctly.

Also is that area below the tail panel and behind the bumper supposed to be blacked out?  Seems like the visible white body color is a distraction there.  If so, how far out to the edges should it be blackend?

Thanks!

Mrbill426

I looked through the tech drawings and only saw tail panel blackout information on a '70; nothing on '72-'74.

Also wonder about the factory placement of the " 'CUDA " badge on the later models.  The "By Plymouth" is obvious because it mounts with pins.

anlauto

With chrome bumpers, I usually draw the black right down to where the bumper mounts....Elastomeric, different story.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@anlauto , so black out that entire "cavity" right out to the inside edge of that "collar" lip of the quarter?  I assume flat black.

Quote from: anlauto on August 06, 2022, 09:14:57 AM
With chrome bumpers, I usually draw the black right down to where the bumper mounts....Elastomeric, different story.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mrbill426

Any ideas about the huge difference between in the left and right bumper guard filler depths into to the valance?  The left is flush with the surface and right is countersunk in about half it's depth  :huh: ... could that Goodmark valance be that far off?
I am running with it now but I wonder what component might be causing that, for a future fix.

anlauto

From the side view, how does each end of the bumper line up to the quarter ?

Mrbill426

@anlauto whoa... no where near that tight  :unbelievable: ...  I'll get some photos and show you.  Now I don't know what the heck  :clueless:  Is that a 'Cuda?

Quote from: anlauto on August 06, 2022, 11:35:32 AM
From the side view, how does each end of the bumper line up to the quarter ?

anlauto

My above picture is a BAD picture for reference because it's of a Cuda with Elastomeric bumpers.....but what I was asking is if that vertical gap on your car is straight and the same on both sides ?

gzig5

Quote from: anlauto on August 07, 2022, 05:20:54 PM
My above picture is a BAD picture for reference because it's of a Cuda with Elastomeric bumpers.....but what I was asking is if that vertical gap on your car is straight and the same on both sides ?

Big difference in bumper fit between 70-71 and 72-74.  The later ones have the spacer to contend with and brackets that push the bumper out.  The bumper can be pulled in on the later cars but it takes some effort.

Mrbill426

@anlauto no they are not.  As you can see with everything tightened up and brackets flush with the cross member the left side is canted inward at the top more than the right, and it is also drawn in to where the rear point of the quarter protrudes a bit past the bumper, so the bumper protects nothing on that side.  :tired: The right side of the bumper looks like it is beyond  the quarter about right to me, but then I don't know what it is supposed to look like.  I'm thinking maybe that left bracket is messed up, or the bumper is "twisted"; but if twisted wouldn't the bracket (if good) pull it in straight?  Only thing original back there are the brackets.

I think the blackout looks fairly good; something went right today.  ::)

Mrbill426

@gzig5 , "spacer"?  :huh:  Where would a spacer go on a '72?  Am I missing a part?... I know the '73-'74 have those big bumper guards; do all three years share the same arrangement despite those guards?

Quote from: gzig5 on August 07, 2022, 05:51:08 PM

Big difference in bumper fit between 70-71 and 72-74.  The later ones have the spacer to contend with and brackets that push the bumper out.  The bumper can be pulled in on the later cars but it takes some effort.

Swamp Donkey

Just looking at your last pictures, your bumper seems bent to me.  The way it's not staying in line with the recessed corners on the rear 1/4.  My gap is a little bigger on my car, but the bumper follows it quite well.  I've been modifying my rear bumper for quite some time now.  Will be fitting in the rear valance soon.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on August 07, 2022, 09:36:05 PM
@anlauto no they are not.  As you can see with everything tightened up and brackets flush with the cross member the left side is canted inward at the top more than the right, and it is also drawn in to where the rear point of the quarter protrudes a bit past the bumper, so the bumper protects nothing on that side.  :tired: The right side of the bumper looks like it is beyond  the quarter about right to me, but then I don't know what it is supposed to look like.  I'm thinking maybe that left bracket is messed up, or the bumper is "twisted"; but if twisted wouldn't the bracket (if good) pull it in straight?  Only thing original back there are the brackets.

I think the blackout looks fairly good; something went right today.  ::)

Your side view explains why the gap is different from the bumper guard to rear valance in your first post. It has nothing to do with the rear valance.
I think the bumper brackets need a little attention  :thinking: You can use the lower "L" bracket that supports the bumper guard to pull the guard in a bit, but I don't think you'll be able to correct the entire issue that way, the bumper is out quite a bit :alan2cents:

gzig5

My bad.  I meant filler, and the 72 didn't have it.  73/74 do.