Main Menu

Sheetmetal gurus help me get started

Started by Jocigar, February 14, 2022, 08:17:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Great thanks!  I'll cut billboard type opening on both sides, cut spot welds and remove tail panel to start on trunk floor.

.... lots of pictures, lots of measurements, some braces    check

I'll need to re-install gas tank braces on floor pan before mounting, maybe spare tire bracket ?   don't have measurements but I can look at another cuda for positions. 

I ordered the Blair 3/8 rotary cutter and extra bits from previous recommendation, using on slow speed working great and still sharp, using small counter sink drill bit to locate center first.

JS29

If you go slow, and watch the bit, when you see the teeth disappear you are through the first layer of metal. I like doing that to the panel i am not saving and therefor the piece i am saving dose not have a hole in it.   :alan2cents: 

68bee

:needphotos:Search cuda trunk floor replacement in the body section and there are pictures of the install without cutting the floor in half

soundcontrol

I changed my trunk floor in my 70 Challenger without removing the tail panel, a one piece floor, it was pretty easy. Pictures in my resto thread.

Jocigar

Soundcontrol,  :worship:  ...fearless undertaking on the challenger, nice work.

Jocigar

Cleaning up old tank braces, can/should they get attached to truck floor before floor is installed ?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Seems easier now but could wait for it to go back on rotisserie. 
I took measurement off my 71 it's 10" center to center does the work 70 to 74?     Thanks

soundcontrol

Quote from: Jocigar on February 20, 2022, 07:33:55 AM
Cleaning up old tank braces, can/should they get attached to truck floor before floor is installed ?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Seems easier now but could wait for it to go back on rotisserie. 
I took measurement off my 71 it's 10" center to center does the work 70 to 74?     Thanks

I welded my braces before putting in the trunkfloor, worked fine. I had 10" center also, 70 Challenger.

Jocigar

All, cleaned braces and mounted them to floor pan.   last night I removed old floor pan flange from tail panel ( blair tool works great).

So, To insert new pan I will need to remove the bumper filler panel, or cut along frame rail as 68bee did which is a good idea.   The question I have is will the quarters be enough to support tail panel?  because once I remove the bumper filler panel there is no support/tie in from frame rails to tail panel or quarters.   ass-end sheetmetal will be flouting.

lastly, Can anyone name the corner piece in pic, I can't find on AMD site.   thx!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

jimynick

Don't put it in until you've got the 1/4's and trunk floor extensions in and where you want them, then just hold them against the rear crossmember, slide them out to contact the extension and there you go. Trying to put them in the old spots when changing the tin could cause a sudden outbreak of cussin'. Good luck  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jocigar

Thank you! 

I was also trying to find out if the rear sheet metal will support itself if I remove the rear cross member to insert the trunk pan?     

I guess the quarters will hold the tail panel in place until I re-install the trunk pan and cross member.   

Then I can move on to one side at a time for quarter/extension replacement.

jimynick

"Then I can move on to one side at a time for quarter/extension replacement."  Hmmm. The tin should hold itself up all right, but when I did mine, I cut everything out; both 1/4s, extensions, crossmember and complete trunk floor. If you pursue the one at a time thing, be particularly aware of the general fit of the deck and quarters. These cars were built in a slap-dash fashion and you may have gaps that don't please you. Proper fitting of the replacement panels allows you a chance to resolve some of that, so be aware when you're replacing one or the other, as to your fits and remember, measure 32 times and weld but once!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jocigar

I was able to remove the rear cross member and test fit the floor pan.  Great to see that it can be done this way.     I did some hammer and dolly work to better fit

I will be replacing outer wheel house but need to fab a patch piece for inner wheel well.    Does anyone have a picture of this section to know what it's should look like where the two piece meet ?

Thx

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Not a good picture but the inner wheel house section that you are missing is basically rounded flat piece with a flange. You might have to enlarge picture to see it better.